User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
FlyingPenguin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
To Cambria and Beyond-

So last Wednesday I took off from Truckee and headed for the Horizons Unlimited Travelers meeting in Cambria. Rode down the West Shore of Lake Tahoe and over Luther Pass to Hope Valley.

Truckee River

Emerald Bay

Hope Valley

The trees were all turning color and the low sun angle made for very scenic views. I headed down the canyon and cut over to Markleeville and up Ebbets Pass.

Markleeville

Hwy 4

Ebbets Pass

Ebbets Pass

I reached Sonora at dusk. Town was quiet and I had my choice of places to stay. I chose poorly! The Inn of California was a very nice place- clean and friendly. But the parking lot funneled every bit of street noise straight into my room. I even heard almost word for word 2 bums arguing with each other out on the sidewalk. And the continental breakfast may have been continental, but it wasn't breakfast.
The next morning I was faced with getting across the Sacramento Valley. I had 2 options- fast and quick on the major 2 lane or slower and more fun on the county and farm roads. I chose the back roads. Turned out to be not much slower, and much more aromatic. I didn't realize that this was such a large poultry raising area.....

County Road near La Grange

Orchard near Gustine

Fields near Hollister

Finally I hit Hwy 1 at Watsonville and damn it was windy. Running south to Monterey the 950 was heeled over like an Americas Cup yacht. At least the windy was steady though.... though that was going to change. South of Carmel the wind was confused, very confused. Twenty to thirty mph gusts coming from all directions. Though it was mostly coming in form the ocean, the hills turned it all around. It would blow hard from the right going into a corner and switch to blowing hard from the right coming out of the corner. I watched 2 fully loaded bicycles with panniers get blown from the fog line to the center line, and then over correct and ride right off the road onto the shoulder. South of Big Sur the wind calmed and the ride was great.

Lots of travelers at Cambria. This R100GS Sidecar left London in May and went to Vladivostok via Turkey.

The owner of this Minsk 175 bought it in Vietnam, toured the country with it, and then managed to ship it back. He paid 250$, and spent 750$ repairing it while he was touring.

The Moto-Kiwis

On her way to South America

After a pleasant 2 days talking to travelers from all over going all over, I headed east on Hwy 58 out Santa Margarita to Bakersfield and thence up the Kern Canyon to Lake Isabella. Hwy 58 across the Carizzo Plains and down to McKittrick was a hoot. No traffic, smooth pavement and lots of twisties on each end. Unfortuneatly, it deposited me in Bakersfield, which is one of the prime locations for the hose when Mother Nature gives the planet an enema.

Hwy58

Kern Canyon

Somewhere ahead is a dirt road over that mountain.

This is the way. Chimney Rock Rd.

View from the top- Chimney Rock Rd

Junction of Chimney Rock Rd and Kennedy Mdws Rd

Looking down at China Lake from the Kennedy Mdws Rd above Hwy 395

After a quiet night in Lone Pine, and a great coffee and pastry at Espresso Parlor on Main Street, I headed north up 395. Overnight snow at June Mountain had chain control up. Lacking chains for the 950 I opted for Hwy 6 over Montgomery Pass to Hawthorne, Reno and home.

Morning rainbow in Lone Pine

Storm clouds on Hwy 6

Not sure what the shoes are doing there. Looking for the show tree mayhaps?

Walker Lake

Wet pavement on I-80 east of Truckee

And snow going down my street

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Nice route and report, thanks for posting. HU meeting looks like great fun and much inspiration....

Quick question.... Google Maps shows Chimney Basin Rd and Chimney Peak Rd off 178 headed toward KM Rd. Could it have been one of those 2 you were on??

Thanks!

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
FlyingPenguin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Oops, my mistake. The road is Chimney Peak Rd. Though the sign at the hwy has another name on it which I forget.

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote