woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,298
super tenere vs bmw r1100GS/r1150GS/r1200GS or ADV wheel swaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMOTORCYCLE View Post
Woody,
I just want to clarify...

the links you sent were reference the Yamaha Tenere, does Wasp's mod apply to the BMW R1200GS-ADV as well?

I have an '07 GS-Adventure if it makes any difference.

Thanks
Mike
swapping either wheels with OEM or Superlite hubs is essentially the same circa 10-15 minutes if wheels are complete with rotors ,,add anothe 15 minutes to swap out the rotors

some BMW riders will remove the front fender[HINT: reinsert the 4 fender mounting screws,,,,,makes for easier no mud in threads re-install.]

FYI ,,we are getting back on track to get a higher fender in there as promised a long time ago

FYI,,,on early 1100GS we have a 25mm cross-brace raising kit available,,,gives ya a bit more clearance under the fork brace

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #92
Quirky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Higher fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
swapping either wheels with OEM or Superlite hubs is essentially the same circa 10-15 minutes if wheels are complete with rotors ,,add anothe 15 minutes to swap out the rotors

some BMW riders will remove the front fender[HINT: reinsert the 4 fender mounting screws,,,,,makes for easier no mud in threads re-install.]

FYI ,,we are getting back on track to get a higher fender in there as promised a long time ago

FYI,,,on early 1100GS we have a 25mm cross-brace raising kit available,,,gives ya a bit more clearance under the fork brace

woody

Hi Woody,

How's the development of the higher front fender going. I.... WANT.... ONE....!

My current Touratech fender that I was using cracked and had to cut the front half off. (figure it was mostly the rough trails flexing it to much).

For if some are interested, my learning of TKC80's on the front is that this tyre is very flimsy for the big bikes and was soon looking for more grip on tyre edges. At 30psi (front) on hard surface the front end pushed and moved from sidewall flex, (I geuss) and rocks would often hit rather harshly. At 35psi this tyre was much more stable heaps better on rocks but soon found the edges of the tyre far too quickly.

So from TKC80's now to 908RR's. I really like these in the dirt and like the rear tyre lots everywhere. But the 908 on the front on tarmac can be very interesting and probably doesn't suit my needs, something between a 908rr and a tkc80 is what i need, any ideas? 35psi in the front seemed to high of a pressure very light steering and following lines/grooves on tarmac and no good on dirt. So back to 30psi this feels good on dirt and haven't tried lower pressure's because of the bike at this pressure getting a little headshake reaction from bumps on tarmac at highway speeds. So is a MT21 my next front tyre?

Cheers

Greg
Old 09-25-2012, 04:23 AM   #93
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

front fender progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Hi Woody,

How's the development of the higher front fender going. I.... WANT.... ONE....!

My current Touratech fender that I was using cracked and had to cut the front half off. (figure it was mostly the rough trails flexing it to much).

For if some are interested, my learning of TKC80's on the front is that this tyre is very flimsy for the big bikes and was soon looking for more grip on tyre edges. At 30psi (front) on hard surface the front end pushed and moved from sidewall flex, (I geuss) and rocks would often hit rather harshly. At 35psi this tyre was much more stable heaps better on rocks but soon found the edges of the tyre far too quickly.

So from TKC80's now to 908RR's. I really like these in the dirt and like the rear tyre lots everywhere. But the 908 on the front on tarmac can be very interesting and probably doesn't suit my needs, something between a 908rr and a tkc80 is what i need, any ideas? 35psi in the front seemed to high of a pressure very light steering and following lines/grooves on tarmac and no good on dirt. So back to 30psi this feels good on dirt and haven't tried lower pressure's because of the bike at this pressure getting a little headshake reaction from bumps on tarmac at highway speeds. So is a MT21 my next front tyre?

Cheers

Greg
ok a quick update,,at long last there is movement in that direction on several fronts,,,
1,,at last weekends Rawhyde challenge ,i met up with the fine folk from Black Dog who expressed an interest in collaborating on this project

2,,i just hired on a whipper-snapper design engineer who can take my ideas,,do the Solid Works thing,,,within his first few days here he has already solved some vexing issues modeling a new flip-ski bottom [ i design /build lot's of stuff for the disabled community: www.superlite.org ]
so we'll keep ya posted,,,

3,,,FYI,,talking with Jimmy Lewis,,he asserts 26-28 is his favorite air-ressure for the pigs,,,he rides mostly off road,,i myself ride to most of the off-road areas and have settled on 34-36psi..and the 908RRs suite my style just fine....ya have to realize that most of us mortals do not have Jimmy's skill set ,,he has learned the art of truly RIDING versus riding,,,by that i mean he anticipates obstacles ,chooses better lines etc versus just plowing over and through the terrain...the former technique is much easier on the equipment ....

w
Old 09-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #94
Quirky
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
ok a quick update,,at long last there is movement in that direction on several fronts,,,
1,,at last weekends Rawhyde challenge ,i met up with the fine folk from Black Dog who expressed an interest in collaborating on this project

2,,i just hired on a whipper-snapper design engineer who can take my ideas,,do the Solid Works thing,,,within his first few days here he has already solved some vexing issues modeling a new flip-ski bottom [ i design /build lot's of stuff for the disabled community: www.superlite.org ]

3,,,FYI,,talking with Jimmy Lewis,,he asserts 26-28 is his favorite air-ressure for the pigs,,,he rides mostly off road,,i myself ride to most of the off-road areas and have settled on 34-36psi..and the 908RRs suite my style just fine....ya have to realize that most of us mortals do not have Jimmy's skill set ,,he has learned the art of truly RIDING versus riding,,,by that i mean he anticipates obstacles ,chooses better lines etc versus just plowing over and through the terrain...the former technique is much easier on the equipment ....

w
Thanks for the info, keep up the good work.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #95
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
just for fun

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788213

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjrudo View Post

So, I wanted to do the 21" wheel conversion but wanted to keep the tubeless rim. I found a front wheel from an R100 and de-spoked it along with the front wheel off of my R1200GSA. Getting the spokes out was quite a chore. The spokes were packed in solid with fine grit or sand. I tapped on them with a brass drift pin, then stuck the butt end in the drill and spun them with some oil until they were free. Anyway, this picture is the wheel fixture I made to hold the 2007GS hub and the whatever year 21" rim hoop. The hub bolts to the fixture using the 5 brake disc bolts.

Started lacing

This shows how the rim hoop is clamped, using some Kant-twist clamps.

I laced up the rim, hand tightening the spokes first. A drop of oil on the threads and the spoke nipples

Well..this is how I tightened the spokes. I made up the procedure, which worked out pretty good. Each side has an outer and an inner ring of nipples. I always went around in the clock-wise direction, tightening the outer row, then the inner row on one side. I flipped the fixture over and tightened the outer row, then the inner row. Each row was tightened like this...Outside row, Pick a nipple, torque to 1 inch/pound, then the opposite nipple in the same row. The adjacent nipple clock-wise, then opposite nipple, and so on until all ten are torqued to the same value. I did the lower row the same, then flipped the wheel over and duplicated the procedure on the other side. I did this at 1,2 and 3 inch/pounds. I jumped to 5 inch/pounds, and bumped it up 5 pounds each cycle until I was done.

After the spokes were tight, and my back was killing me from bending over this contraption for an hour, I popped the wheel out of the fixture. I spun it and was pretty happy. The wheel was straight within .015". Good enough for the girls I run with.

Rubber mounted. Happy camper.

So.. The second half of the problem. The lack of fender clearance. I wanted to move the fender up one inch. I designed a new fork brace that was quite a bit heavier than stock. I tried to get the 1", but could only get the fender about 5/8" higher. After looking at the stock fork brace, I'll never use it again. I know they aren't a part that's prone to failure, but it just looks so weak. BMW even has brake line holes drilled throughout the part. This beefier brace should make the front end a lot more sturdy. No more fork flexing I bet.

I printed the brace on the 3D printer and fitted it to the bike to check the clearance and stuff. looked good.

This shows the fender tucked in really tight against the 3D printed lower brace.

Each block of 6061 aluminum was about $85.00. This picture shows the bottom side being machined

Upper side being machined. This is the thread for the ball joint being made.

Ball joint screwed in just perfect. Notice that I moved the brake lines from the Y configuration to a straight through type.

I actually made two of them. One for a friend. These are sanded a bit and will get powder coated black. These will use all standard hardware.

Both lowers after powder coating.

On the bike now. Can easily insert my palm between the fender and rubber

VOILA!! All I need now is to order up the new lower brake lines. The left line goes up the fork and crosses over the top of the fender to a double banjo bolt on the right rear of the brace. That hole goes through the brace to the stock banjo bolt on the front.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #96
Quirky
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post

Wow! Thankyou for posting, brilliant
Old 10-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #97
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:

w
any news on the fender? would hate to hear you have this great new doo-hicky after I spend the weekend banging and bending on some aluminium and bolting up some cut up Honda or KTM fender to it.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #98
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 495
Ya know I teach that fine art as well as use it on a daily basis. And I'm still continually impressed by the 21/18 setup on my BMW.
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #99
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Update,,front fender,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
any news on the fender? would hate to hear you have this great new doo-hicky after I spend the weekend banging and bending on some aluminium and bolting up some cut up Honda or KTM fender to it.
Hi todd,,chris forwarded your e-mail to me the other day,,,and yes,I AM working on it,,,don't want to let too much of the cat out of the bag,,,we are finally getting some weather to test out my ideas,,sunny dry weather all the time isn't the ideal testing territory,,,tis the real mud n gumbo I want to check out

Will keep you all posted
Woody
Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #100
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Quote:
Hi todd,,chris forwarded your e-mail to me the other day,,,and yes,I AM working on it,,,don't want to let too much of the cat out of the bag,,,we are finally getting some weather to test out my ideas,,sunny dry weather all the time isn't the ideal testing territory,,,tis the real mud n gumbo I want to check out

Will keep you all posted
Woody
Thanks, looking forward to the update. On another note regarding 21" conversion, came across a GS rider in Alabama talking about the fork spacers he used for his conversion ... what the what?

Here is an image if someone can clue me in.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #101
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

fork spacers????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
Thanks, looking forward to the update. On another note regarding 21" conversion, came across a GS rider in Alabama talking about the fork spacers he used for his conversion ... what the what?

Here is an image if someone can clue me in.

boy,,ya got me too on this one!!!

w
Old 10-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #102
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

Quote:

Will keep you all posted
Woody
Woody.... I love you !
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #103
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 578
Hiya Woody.... weight and marque wise I'm in the right thread... otherwise maybe not. I'm contemplating building a bmw special from an G/S ala moorespeed/hpn. I was just wondering what you'r recommend for a front (21 X what) and back 18 X what) rims. Also, as I'll be using a set of wp 2860 forks (from a KTM) would you recommend going with a talon hub on the front or doing some axle mods to use the bmw one. Thanks for the help as I can't decide, particularly, what size front (1.6 or 1.85) to go with... oh.. and would you superlace them? I Typical use will be touring, overlanding and fire/forest roads... no hard core off road like the erzberg guys!

Many thanks,

Dana

ps the bikes are in the uk now but shall be heading stateside once the frames are done.

Clay Spinner screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 03:39 AM
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #104
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

What size rims for HPN style BMW???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Spinner View Post
Hiya Woody.... weight and marque wise I'm in the right thread... otherwise maybe not. I'm contemplating building a bmw special from an G/S ala moorespeed/hpn. I was just wondering what you'r recommend for a front (21 X what) and back 18 X what) rims. Also, as I'll be using a set of wp 2860 forks (from a KTM) would you recommend going with a talon hub on the front or doing some axle mods to use the bmw one. Thanks for the help as I can't decide, particularly, what size front (1.6 or 1.85) to go with... oh.. and would you superlace them? I Typical use will be touring, overlanding and fire/forest roads... no hard core off road like the erzberg guys!

Many thanks,

Dana

ps the bikes are in the uk now but shall be heading stateside once the frames are done.
Hi,,tried n true 1.85x21" front and 2.5x18 on rear,,ii'm lace em to either an oem ktm/ RAD/Talon hub,,,if I knew what size axle ya have,,it would be easier

Holler,,woody

I think the moderators would be happier if you asked this or I answered in my "Ask woody about your wheels" thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145899

W
Old 11-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #105
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

OH MY GOD !!!!!

Did my first ride with the "new to me" Woody's 21" wheel on my GSA yesterday. Riding sand washes like they were fire roads, astonishing difference from the 19" stock wheel.