Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #5116
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I gotta say if it aint broke don't fix it. The racing in Moto2 is top notch and won't improve with multiple engine manufactures. I can understand the appeal of different engines but I want to be entertained. Maybe Honda decides not to be an only supplier at some point? Until then leave well enough alone and continue with the great racing.
The 3 cylinder cross plane Yamaha engine looks interesting.

My only grip with Moto 2 is that the fat street bike engines make the bikes fat and ugly. No argument with the racing they produce, though. I will say that Moto 2 is threatening to become almost respectable, racing wise. Both bikes and riders are behaving much better these days. That is kind of a shame.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #5117
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post

My only grip with Moto 2 is that the fat street bike engines make the bikes fat and ugly. No argument with the racing they produce, though. I will say that Moto 2 is threatening to become almost respectable, racing wise. Both bikes and riders are behaving much better these days. That is kind of a shame.
Wide engines and fixed ratio gear boxes. The two biggest problems in Moto2.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #5118
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
I can agree that I lack empathy. However, I think it is very important to remember that this is a dangerous sport. Every crash has most of the press room on edge, at what might happen.
With this, I'd agree 100%.

Quote:
But we know the price that riders may end up paying for our entertainment.
With this, not so much. Our entertainment and interest certainly drives sponsorship money into the sport and raises the stakes, but I find it rather unlikely that anyone successful enough to ride MotoGP isn't also a born risk-taking type. Technique and tactics can be learned; an innate desire for speed (and to win) cannot. If these guys weren't hurtling motos around a road race track, they'd be racing their buddies up a canyon or racing Tour de France or otherwise pushing their own limits.

(if you disagree, I'd obviously defer, as you've met these guys and my personal experience is with ski racers, but the competitive drive and desire to push boundaries seems to transcend choice of sport.)
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #5119
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp.com
"The procedure consisted of the reconstruction of the Coracoclavicular Ligaments torn in the crash and a reduction of a separated Acrimioclavicular joint, aided by a Twin Tightrope device, which is a suture based system. Cadavar tissue was placed to replace and reinforce the Coracoclavicular Ligaments that were torn.

The surgery was successful, and Spies will make a full recovery, although he will need to remain in a sling for up to 10-12 weeks.

The decision on a replacement rider for the final round of the Championship at Valencia will be clarified by Yamaha Factory Racing following the Phillip Island weekend.

Press release courtesy of Yamaha Factory Racing."
I wonder if they will try to get Vale released one race early?

Poor Ben,a disapointing end to a disapointing season(s).He never really has seemed to get to grips with the Yamaha,or is it the bridgstones.?I just can t get my head around how some riders just cant get on with these tyres.Tony Elias is the one i just dont understand.How can he be a moto2 world champ and virtually a backmarker in motogp.It not like a satelite Honda 800 was a dog of a bike.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #5120
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
With this, not so much. Our entertainment and interest certainly drives sponsorship money into the sport and raises the stakes, but I find it rather unlikely that anyone successful enough to ride MotoGP isn't also a born risk-taking type. Technique and tactics can be learned; an innate desire for speed (and to win) cannot. If these guys weren't hurtling motos around a road race track, they'd be racing their buddies up a canyon or racing Tour de France or otherwise pushing their own limits.

(if you disagree, I'd obviously defer, as you've met these guys and my personal experience is with ski racers, but the competitive drive and desire to push boundaries seems to transcend choice of sport.)
No, that's a fair assessment. They're mostly bona-fide nutcases with no sense of danger.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #5121
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
Quote:
No, that's a fair assessment. They're mostly bona-fide nutcases with no sense of danger.
except for stuff that might be dangerous but you cant see it
Old 10-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #5122
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
I wonder if they will try to get Vale released one race early?

Poor Ben,a disapointing end to a disapointing season(s).He never really has seemed to get to grips with the Yamaha,or is it the bridgstones.?.
I think he was just outclassed. Not happy to say it as I had high hopes for him but that seems to be the case. A few good races or qualifying each year doesn't cut it.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #5123
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,136
Maybe we can look forward to...

http://
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #5124
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I think he was just outclassed. Not happy to say it as I had high hopes for him but that seems to be the case. A few good races or qualifying each year doesn't cut it.
lol how many mechanical failures did he have? Outclassed? I don't think he ever really had a chance this past season so show what he had except for once when the bike actually worked and he was so shocked he binned it.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #5125
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
lol how many mechanical failures did he have? Outclassed? I don't think he ever really had a chance this past season so show what he had except for once when the bike actually worked and he was so shocked he binned it.
He made a lot of mistakes this year.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #5126
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Watch Nicky Hayden's post race interview. He's always nice, but this was about as harsh as I've heard him talk about Ducati.
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #5127
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by protondecay123 View Post
Watch Nicky Hayden's post race interview. He's always nice, but this was about as harsh as I've heard him talk about Ducati.
Link ??
Old 10-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #5128
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Link ??
I've got the MotoGP video subscription , it may be free on their website. It was as disappointed as I've seen him.

Also have I got the team standings right in that satellite Yamaha is going to beat Factory Ducati in the final team standings?
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #5129
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by protondecay123 View Post
I've got the MotoGP video subscription , it may be free on their website. It was as disappointed as I've seen him.

Also have I got the team standings right in that satellite Yamaha is going to beat Factory Ducati in the final team standings?
Correct. Shocking.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #5130
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
Quote:
Correct. Shocking.
So what's going to happen, Krop? Do we get two more years of Preziosi smiling and side stepping questions while the Ducs fall further and further down the field?

I think I read a comment by Vito G. saying they wouldn't have anything radically new to try at the Valencia tests. Meanwhile Honda and Yamaha and Aprilia march forward.