Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #166
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Do the pegs still fold back as well as pivot?
If not.
Would the folding function be restored by flipping the adapter left to right?
Hello Rucksta, no the pegs won't fold back only pivot, but I can't see this being a problem.
The adapters only fit one side so flipping them won't work. These adapters are Mk1, perhaps there will be a lighter Mk2 which can solve the folding issue.
Dakar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #167
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
Check for the famous cracked coil.
Coils are new and no cracks visible.
Managed to ride up and down my street today, the bike will rev up but under load it stalls on all but gentlest deceleration?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #168
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
ignition related, afterfiring would indicate no spark.
something cuts out when it gets warm, perhaps.
Not sure what ignition system its got, but do you have a spare known working ignition (bean) can to swap in? Or CDI controller, bolted to the bikes backbone? Seems like the problem comes from what is controlling the spark.
The bike runs an enduralast ignition and 450w alternator, so no bean can.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #169
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
Maybe your boots aren`t quite up to snuff. I did a BMW course some years ago with Simon Pavey (name drop) and Wayne Clarke as instructors. The bikes were 650 Dakars and had the standard narrow foot pegs; I wore BMW road boots. After two days of standing on the pegs my legs were pretty sore as well, so when I got home I bought some strong adventure boots and fitted wider Fastway pegs to my 1100GS. With the lower Fastways and handlebar risers I could ride standing up for many kilometres if I needed to with no ill effects.

18 Months after the first course, I did the trail bike course on an Xchallenge. They had wider pegs as standard and with my stronger boots, I had no trouble standing on the pegs for the two day course. As soon as the bike got moving, we had to stand up and were yelled at if we weren`t.

A mate of mine uses Pivot Pegs with the centreing (is that a word?) spring removed and claims it is more comfortable.
I was using a well worn pair of BMW Santiago boots, I found the pegs angled slightly back so most pressure was on the front ridge ie very narrow section. Now with the Pivot Pegz fitted it should be no problem.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #170
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here are some pictures from the BMW off road course held at Kirup earlier this month

The motocross track with hills and trails in the background

Some of the single trails through the trees

The hill climb

Old 10-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #171
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,064
What`s the story with the hill climb? It`s obviously a lot steeper than it looks in the first pic.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #172
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar83 View Post
Hello Rucksta, no the pegs won't fold back only pivot, but I can't see this being a problem.
The adapters only fit one side so flipping them won't work. These adapters are Mk1, perhaps there will be a lighter Mk2 which can solve the folding issue.
Folding pegs serve two purposes, first they allow the peg to survive a hard bump with an immovable object and second they give way when they hit your leg after you've planted it for a turn, log, etc. If you have ever been nailed by a non pivoting peg you'd remember.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #173
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
This looks like a nice fix and I was about to ask if Frank made a batch of 'em.

Reading the thread further, sounds like the trade off is that though they still pivot, no folding back. I've got a traction and balance shortcoming that too frequently leads to kissing mother earth so may not be just right for my riding style.

Seems like a good approach though, maybe I can build on it.

fwiw - broke 4 metatarsals in some Santiago's. Walked around with 3 non union (no heal) for a couple of years (yes, I didn't give them enough time) before going back to Dr. Got 2 back together non surgical but big toe is 1/2" shorter and titanium reinforced. Crossfires in the dirt these days.

Quote:
I thought I would ask Frank the fabricator if he could make me some adapters so that I could once again use the Pivot Pegz. This is what he came up with...

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #174
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
What`s the story with the hill climb? It`s obviously a lot steeper than it looks in the first pic.
Yes it was a great hill, the main picture doesn't do it justice. It was steep and long, heavily rutted and what you can't see in the pictures were a number of deep wash outs / ditches running across the hill. It was also strewn with heaps of rock. A good challenge!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #175
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
Folding pegs serve two purposes, first they allow the peg to survive a hard bump with an immovable object and second they give way when they hit your leg after you've planted it for a turn, log, etc. If you have ever been nailed by a non pivoting peg you'd remember.
I acknowledge the reasons for folding pegs, these will fold but at the moment in and up and forward direction, not up and back. the configuration of the boxer motor tends to prevent the pegs grounding but that said it would be preferable to have hem fold up and back. Still this was prototype 1 and sets the challenge to come up with an improved design to encompass folding.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #176
ms-oz
Mike

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Hey Mike, Is this you?

Hi Jason, yep it's me the limping polarbaer, MS-OZ. ta for the photos and for all the nice reports about you racing "die gummikuh" through WA.
Dakar83 is "John" he got himself a G/S in HPN lock, build with copys of my tankdecals, colled HPM made here in WA.
ms-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #177
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well the HPM is back on the road, the problem was water which had migrated along the HT leads and into the coil. The coils have a rubber boot which is cable tied in place so I was a bit surprised. Anyway good to find out close to home and not 000's km away in the outback.
Dave's solution after drying the coil was to pack silicon under the cap and then reseat it. The silicon should set and keep water out.
So today i enjoyed 140km of trouble free riding, up to Mundaring for quick gravel fix in the hills.

I called in to see Frank at the fabrication shop on the way back, we have a new design for the Pivot Pegz lowered and setback mount, this one will be lighter and simpler than the first one shown in an earlier post and best of all it will restore the proper folding action of the foot pegs. Frank will start work on it in a couple of weeks, so I will post up the results and some pictures in due course.

Back home spent some time setting up a descent tool kit to go in the tank wallet, all told a good day!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #178
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
we have a new design for the Pivot Pegz lowered and setback mount, this one will be lighter and simpler than the first one shown in an earlier post and best of all it will restore the proper folding action of the foot pegs. Frank will start work on it in a couple of weeks, so I will post up the results and some pictures in due course.
Is there an option for a group build with new design?

I spent 4hrs standing on oem last weekend and am in want of width.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #179
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,064
Keep me in mind for a set of those if it goes ahead, I have trouble obtaining a comfortable standing position on airhead GS`. My R100GS special is starting to take shape and should be on the road before Xmas (hopefully).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 02:51 PM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #180
chicky
BMW Rider

Oddometer: 464
Talking Hpn-

My R100GS special is starting to take shape and should be on the road before Xmas (hopefully).

Hi David ..

Any photos about the machine build-up .......

Chicky ....
chicky is offline   Reply With Quote