Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #526
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlabs View Post
How'd you like this past weekends event?
Haha, still recovering. I thought I was doing good until I got stuck in that long bottleneck behind about 50 bikes with no where to go, couldn't go forward, couldn't go back. I think I was around 5th at that point, I got through the first steep hill off camber bottleneck real well, but not the 2nd one with no where to go. After getting clear, I was even more mad after seeing what the bottleneck really was caused by - easy stuff, I zipped up that switch back easily, I can't believe that caused so much mayhem. After I finally got clear of it after being stuck there waiting for about 30 minutes, I came back around saw bunches of bikes cutting where the course passed close by the beginning of the bottleneck. Shows where honesty will get you.

How'd you fair? I bet the track was even worse for you guys.

All was good leading up to the race though. I stayed dry ...

... and cozy ...

... until my race. Which was a cold, wet, rainy, mudder. Kind of like Smith's Crossroads, but wetter, more mud, and with hills. Good to be home and put this one behind me.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F

nobrakes screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 05:59 PM
nobrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #527
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
I had a blast on the first lap, second going into the woods after the grass/mx track. Figured my way through that offcamber downhill only to have the 800 class in front of me (found out later that you just needed to ride the ridge straight to cut off about 400meters of trail). Made it to the first bottleneck on that sweet single track with nowhere to bypass and sat for about 5 minutes waiting on folks to get through. Made it through the first lap with only hitting the ground once, while stopped no less.

2nd lap, I ate it hard on the grass/mx track breaking my front fender off and getting a helmet full of mud in the process. Too my goggles off and rode slowly for the rest of the lap. Made it through scoring in time to get a third lap, but it wasnt' worth it at that point. My eyes are too important to me so I pulled around to the water hose and cleaned my bike.

I was actually two spots over from you, just on the other side of 42p. White enclosed trailer with 2 Husqvarnas and a KTM mini.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #528
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

How cool is that? I will look for you next time. I talked to 42P a good bit this weekend, sharing 350 setup tips and such. And he helped me load my big Pelican box just before he left.

Good ride! I went down once on the off-camber steep hill while bull dogging my bike down, ended up sliding into another guy that was working hard trying to free his bike. I told him I was so sorry, and he just looked at me, like, did you really just do that? After I freed my bike and got to the bottom, I left my bike and went back up to where he was and helped him to free his bike. He seemed to appreciate it, but I think we were both too engaged in the war zone that race turned out to be to exchange much in the way of pleasantries. Otherwise I managed to stay upright for the duration, but I did have to get off and give myself an assist over some of those slick roots on a few of the hills, the pipeline trail comes to mind.

See you at the Hillbilly.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 10-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #529
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,139
good to see this thread back in action !!!
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #530
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
good to see this thread back in action !!!
Yeah it is!!!

Even just a little short report and maybe one photo with a camera phone

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #531
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Now that I know who Brian is, I will try to get some pics of him during the morning race.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #532
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Season in a Post

We might have to change the thread title to 2012 VCHSS and with 12 races in the books, might have to go back in time to fill in the gaps.

Three races left in the series, I've had good races this year, and a few bad ones, too. I missed one race due to getting corrective eye surgery, the doctor strongly advised that I didn't race 3 days after lasik. Good thing, too, as the first time I rode after having the surgery, my spatial awareness was all messed up, it took several rides to get used to how things looked without glasses.

I'm currently 6th place in points, only 1 point behind 5th. If the points count for this last race, I will remain in 6th, I think, but 10 points back. That might put 5th out of reach from me for the series.

Here are a few pics I've accumulated over the series, from Round 1 back in March, and onward.

Round 1, Smith's Crossroads, another mudder, finished 6th out of 24, almost got 2nd place, but a last lap flub up cost me 12 minutes getting unstuck:

Round 2, April Fool's, finished 15th out of 34, beautiful venue, I really enjoyed that race:

Round 3, Central Virginia, finished 15th out of 36:

The next day on Monday evening after work, lol, street legal dirt bikes rock:

No pics from Round 4 - Harleywood, that was the one I missed due to eye surgery.

Round 5, Blue Ridge I, loved this course, so much fun, I finished 8th out of 28:

Can't find any pics from Round 6 - Reddy Hole, but I finished 11th out of 25 in that race.

Round 7 - Tidewater, 13th out of 29. I remember that race I had a summer cold or allergies or something, and was hacking and sneezing the whole race.

Then we had summer break, no VCHSS races from early June to mid-August. During the break, I raced an off-series hare scramble a little south of me, it was an early morning race, so I decided at the last minute to camp. I think I got 2nd place that race, but it was a small group, but wow what a blast that was:

Round 8, Blue Ridge II, back at the same course as round 5 that I liked so much, I finished 7th out of 23:

Here is my helmet cam of the start and entire first lap. This race had a unique up-hill start. Instead of the rows being fixed, there was a ditch at the bottom of a wooded hill with multiple entry points, and the rows had to advance forward each start and put their front wheel in the ditch. When the flag dropped, you went.

https://vimeo.com/47826911

2012 VCHSS RD 8 BLUE RIDGE II - Lap 1 - HD from bsd512 on Vimeo.

Round 9 - Sandy Bottom: 8th out of 22

Round 10 - Birch Creek: 9th out of 18:

Round 11 - Peninsula 100: 7th out of 18:

And then Round 12 this past weekend. I think the results are still under consideration by the officers. I wish the weather would have cooperated more, that round had the makings for one of the best rounds yet as it started out on a stock car dirt track what was totally unique and fun. The promoter did the best he could with the cards he was dealt, but it turned into an almost impossible situation all around.

But all of those were great races, I'm really enjoying the Virginia series this year, they have some really great tracks and creative promoters, and a ton of good people. Our "S" class, 45+, has a great group of guys and the racing is really close, we are all friends. For many of those races above, the finishes are really close. If you'd finished 30 seconds back, you might lose 5 positions, it's that close in a 2 hour race. And some races I've missed the the next position up by 1 second, and some I've won by 1 second. Tight! But it's a whole lot of fun, there's a lot of dicing back and forth within the class, and no one person was running away with the points. I think it was maybe not until round 9 that we had our first repeat winner in our class.

Anyway, that's been my season so far - "season in a post". Having a great time. I didn't race much in 2011, kind of ran low on money so had to scale it back a little bit. I did a few races here and there, but did not race any one whole series. But this year in 2012, I am 12 races into the VCHSS 15 round series. Having a blast.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F

nobrakes screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 07:32 PM
Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #533
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

So glad your having a great time and doing so well! I'm guessing your still liking the 350? I liked that 7th place trophy! Our club talked about doing those as trophies for our Jan race.

Tbone screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 08:29 AM
Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #534
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, T-Bone. Yes, the 350 is really nice for this kind of stuff, very light, and easy to ride, I really like it - it suits me well. I liked that pit-board trophy, too.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 10-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #535
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

A Short Chronology of My Weekend - VCHSS Rd 13

May as well finish out the 2012 VCHSS season here, there are only 3 races left, one of which was this weekend. Here's roughly how it went:

VCHSS - Round 13: The Hillbilly Hare Scramble

Got loaded.

Then went driving.

Dumped out my gear in a field at the edge of the woods that had spiders the size of small dogs. And on top of that, I heard from a reliable source that some dogs treed a bear "just over yonder" last week.

Should have been sleeping but who could sleep with the Milky Way Galaxy lighting up the place like that. Besides, I'm pretty sure I heard that pissed off bear snorting his displeasure at my choice of tent location right under his fully laden apple tree. In hindsight, I could have thought that one through a bit more.

Found this cool jar at the end of the race. Too bad it wasn't full. I could have used a snort after all that.

Unless my calculations are mistaken, I'm pretty sure I wrapped up 5th place in points in my class this weekend. Mainly I just need to show up for the next two and not screw it up and I should be able to hang on. Famous last words.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 10-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #536
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Unfortunately, after looking at the numbers again I think it's going to be real close for me to hang onto 5th place. They haven't posted point totals in two weeks so that's why I don't know exactly, but I think once they get posted this week, I may only be ahead by a small handful of points. And the guy that is closest is riding real good here late in the season. So I'm hoping I can get in a few good races and hold him off, but it's not going to be the "just show up" like I was hoping.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #537
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Yes! That was the most beautiful place I have ever raced. I live in a very rural area surrounded by trees, so seeing that many stars was awesome. The terrain was some of the best Ive ever ridden, that creek section was SAHWEET! I saw you coming in on your last lap but was preoccupied looking for my daughter. She was WAY off her normal pace and I was a little worried. Maybe next time.

Gotlabs screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 01:34 PM
Gotlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #538
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Another nice trophy! Main thing is your having fun.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #539
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,683
you've come an amazingly long way! Congrats!

I might have to give up baseball and start racing again. It's probably safer - I broke my arm getting hit by a bad pitch!

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #540
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,942
Wow! Another great year, glad you went ahead and posted about it.

Not to go down the Tire Thread Road but... When do you run your Trials Tire? When you know it's going to be dry? Lot's of massive logs to clear? Or maybe when the knobby is at the Cleaners??? I run one pretty much all the time but noticed that you switched for a few of the races.

And No! I don't have any Oil questions!