Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The Bluetooth module will be $75-100.
Something like this?

http://dx.com/p/bluetooth-board-modu...121326?item=17
Old 10-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #32
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Oddometer: 2,095
No, it will be dual band BT2 and BT4. It will also have an SDCard for storing your program and a microcontroller to doing all the processing. It's really a full blow custom designed computer. The BT radio itself will only cost me about $35. The rest of the money is for all the other parts and assembly and profit. It has to be water resistant which makes the assembly expensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #33
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,752
Quote:
No, it will be dual band BT2 and BT4. It will also have an SDCard for storing your program and a microcontroller to doing all the processing. It's really a full blow custom designed computer. The BT radio itself will only cost me about $35. The rest of the money is for all the other parts and assembly and profit. It has to be water resistant which makes the assembly expensive...
Fair enough. Didn't want to be disrespectful but only wanted to show you alternative sourcing.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #34
Simplyred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
In order to build them we'll need to spend a lot of dough though. The tooling to build the first one will be around $25,000 (that's for the circuit board and epoxy encapsulation).
I am sure you have done your homework believe me. But I couldn't resist asking you whether you know that there are companies out there who will build your circuit boards at custom specs for very reasonable prices, even A PIECE.
You could ask yourself whether that 25.000 is called for or that you can bypass it, at least at first. You don't need to do everything yourself in the first series I would say?
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #35
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
I am sure you have done your homework believe me. But I couldn't resist asking you whether you know that there are companies out there who will build your circuit boards at custom specs for very reasonable prices, even A PIECE.
You could ask yourself whether that €25.000 is called for or that you can bypass it, at least at first. You don't need to do everything yourself in the first series I would say?
I build hundreds of boards a year and I get them CHEAP! Like $1.40 delivered, but those are standard boards. This PDU requires 4 layers and 28 ounces of copper in order to handle the current and that means its not at all standard. In fact it is so non standard that I need to find very special producers. I've only found a handful of people who build these things and most won't take my calls (busy with military business). Those that do answer want top dollar and they will get it from me, and in fact have gotten it already.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #36
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Updates?

Any updates on this new fuse block?

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #37
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso View Post
Any updates on this new fuse block?

Thanks!
Indeed. After much feedback from you guys, I've decided to simply the design some. Integrate bluetooth in directly. Remove the fuses completely and go 100% solidstate. Furthermore, because you will never need to touch it after you install it you will be able to put it almost anywhere (like under your fuel tank or hidden in a fairing).

The spec I am aiming at now is 8 channel, all switched on the highside with current limits set via bluetooth. Each channel has it's own ammeter with real time user feedback on your mobile phone. Two channels will support 30A. 6 will support 15A. Max current in the 80-100A range pending testing. 8 soft switches that can be pulled high to 12V or pulled down to ground will also be available for users to use to control their circuits.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #38
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Price ballpark?

If I have to ask, I probably can't afford it, but do you have a ballpark figure for the selling price?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #39
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

The target is < $150 (NO LONGER TRUE - SCOPE CREEP)

I am working hard to get there. Dumping the fuses, which allows installation anywhere, means that I have to be able to measure the current effectively which is pricey. The current goals are impressive which means ultra high quality semiconductors. I don't know if I can meet he goal yet. The ARM Cortex M3 processor doing all the thinking isn't exactly cheap either. It will take a lot of creativity to meet the specs and price but if we do it's a slam dunk for all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso View Post
If I have to ask, I probably can't afford it, but do you have a ballpark figure for the selling price?

craftycoder screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 10:54 AM
Old 10-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #40
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Sweet, it seems like a great price to me.

Message created by tapping my fingers on a wee little screen.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #41
greystoke
2 wheel whore

Oddometer: 123
Sign me up!
www.rightaroundaustralia.com

PX200
'86 K100RS
K7 DR650SE
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #42
expressexcess
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Very excited about this project. Any new updates?
expressexcess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #43
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by expressexcess View Post
Very excited about this project. Any new updates?
Indeed. The 8 channel PCBs are in route from China for initial testing. The single channel version is on my bench as I type. I finished the firmware for it this weekend. I have a iteration of it being manufactured right now for final testing before we invest in the expensive heavy copper PCBs for the production version.

The single channel will be just for controlling lights I think. The 8 channel will be able to handle resistive, capacitive, and inductive loads.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #44
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Sweet, can't wait to place a pre-order. :)

Message created by tapping my fingers on a wee little screen.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #45
expressexcess
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Indeed. The 8 channel PCBs are in route from China for initial testing. The single channel version is on my bench as I type. I finished the firmware for it this weekend. I have a iteration of it being manufactured right now for final testing before we invest in the expensive heavy copper PCBs for the production version.

The single channel will be just for controlling lights I think. The 8 channel will be able to handle resistive, capacitive, and inductive loads.
Great to hear! Can't wait to see more details about the 8 channel along with the additional sensors and programming options. I have quite a few farkles on my Daytona 675 and there is not much space on there, so your solution really sounds ideal.
expressexcess is offline   Reply With Quote