Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #31
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
It's almost the same circumstances with a 1200 GS Adventure.. LOL!
I didn't get it to save weight. It was the only available option at the rally I was at. I'm hoping for decent results. Heading for Alaska in June.
If you store your bike over the winter, disconnect and keep the battery in a warm location, like on a shelf in a closet.

fat fingered on a small keyboard.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #32
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Theoretical, Practical, or Wild Ass Guess

The voice in the back of my mind says use the Shorai. Why? It's lighter. Really that is the ONLY positive advantage I see. The AGM is easier to maintain. No pricey special charger. I can plug in my charger to the AGM and it keeps the voltage OK even in a cold garage (it hardly goes into the 20's all winter in SC). The AGM fires the bike up better, IMO than the Shorai. I am going to run a test, a kinda, sorta practical test. My radar detector drains the battery a lot. (that is another mystery, but it does). I'm going to keep it plugged in and measure the battery voltage at various times, then just see how it cranks. Going to do it for both batteries.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #33
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
They are not. They are the the supplier for Fisker.
It appears that Johnson Controls is going to acquire the automotive products assets. Hopefully, JC will make a go of it.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #34
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
A123 batteries just filed for bankruptcy.....
Oh no! Don't let Obama hear about it or he'll show up with a pot full of money.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #35
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

What IS the advantage?

I have both the LFX21A6 and the stock AGM that came with the new bike. Both work! I have heard guys say the Shorai cranks harder. Harder than what? The Shorai does crank when it is 32 degrees out. Tested, proven, but the cranking power in the cold was NOT impressive. I had both go dead from leaving the same accessory attached directly to the batter left on. Didn't time it but it took about the same time to go dead for both. So WHAT is the real difference? Lighter to me is a non issue. When you load up your bags with all kinds of crap and put all kinds of bars, lights and stuff so you can ride to hell and back, the difference in battery weight is not a factor to most riders. Both seem to start OK. Their main function. Maybe the Shorai may last longer, but you can buy at least two good AGM's for the cost of a Shorai. Am I missing something here. I know, I bought one, I should be asking myself why. I think I drank the "new and different" cool aid.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #36
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,481
if weight savings means little or nothing to you, then a Li battery is a waste of money. conversely speaking, if saving weight is important, then the Li battery is a cost effective way of doing so.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #37
Duall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Wow, I feel very lucky !
I have an 08 GS that's been all over B.C., Alaska and then shipped over to Europe and I just changed out the original battery. I went to a local bike shop, they x-referenced the part# and voila 60€ later I was on the road vs 160€ from BMW. Since I have put on over 5000 K's riding all over Europe and has yet to give me any trouble. I think that sometimes these over engineered "farkles" are best to be left alone, but of course that is my own personal opinion ;)
Rent our Apartment in Budapest @ www.walnut-apartment.com

Duall screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 12:47 PM
Duall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #38
troyslegacy OP
PigGS Feet

Oddometer: 134
I've had zero issues since they sent the replacement. It's been great!
troyslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #39
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
if weight savings means little or nothing to you, then a Li battery is a waste of money. conversely speaking, if saving weight is important, then the Li battery is a cost effective way of doing so.
Skipping dessert for a couple months would have a greater impact for much less money.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #40
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Skipping dessert for a couple months would have a greater impact for much less money.
i get that, but not when you don't have to
Old 10-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #41
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
I'm paranoid about screwing up the computer on my GSA, I was literally afraid to just walk into any auto parts store and ask for a battery.
What a surprise the only batteries the BMW dealer had down at the rally were the $200 ones. Ha..
Then they only have one for a 1150, but say, no problem, you'll be fine.
I don't know. It's supposed to be 30 tonight, I'll see if it starts tomorrow.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #42
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duall View Post
I think that sometimes these over engineered "farkles" are best to be left alone, but of course that is my own personal opinion ;)
I agree...especially high dollar, aftermarket exhaust systems that make the boxer sound like a lawn mower on steroids.....Oh, wait a minute...that's how the boxer engine sounds with the OE exhaust system....aftermarket is even worse.

LiFePo engine start battery technology is still evolving in my opinion. Kinda like LED headlights...not quite ready for prime time just yet.

Also, way too expensive....buy high tech early and you're paying for R&D as well as a half baked product.

The wheel is just about ready to be deemed a mature product....think about it.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #43
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
I'm paranoid about screwing up the computer on my GSA, I was literally afraid to just walk into any auto parts store and ask for a battery.
What a surprise the only batteries the BMW dealer had down at the rally were the $200 ones. Ha..
Then they only have one for a 1150, but say, no problem, you'll be fine.
I don't know. It's supposed to be 30 tonight, I'll see if it starts tomorrow.
Hey Mizzou, you can sleep well at night knowing that a cheap ass battery has about much chance of frying the ZFE as me winning the lottery IMO, the charging system has some possibility of throwing some spikes at your system but you have to have an extremely bad karma day to zap the computer. You would almost have to willfully be trying to fry it..
Old 10-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #44
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
The initial Shorai recommended for the 1150 GS was the 18 Ah, which I purchased. It was inadequate in temps below 35 degrees F. Shorai has since changed their recommendation for the 1150 to the 21 Ah battery. They replaced my original Shorai with a 21 Ah battery, but I've had a couple of bad breaks since installing it (ankle then 4 months later clavicle+5 ribs) and can't yet comment on cold weather starting.
I've now had the opportunity to use my 21 Ah Shorai. My experience can be summed up with the comment 'my Odyssey PC680 will arrive in 2 days'. Anyone interested in a very slightly used Shorai battery (~200 miles) and Shorai charger I'll take
$150 dollars for the pair.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #45
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
Anyone interested in a very slightly used Shorai battery (~200 miles) and Shorai charger I'll take
$150 dollars for the pair.
^ screaming deal......won't last long.