ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Amendment 64: The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act of 2012
Yes 102 73.91%
No 36 26.09%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #46
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat734 View Post
I was a Police Officer for 25 years near Detroit. I worked for a large Sheriff’s department. I was loaned out to the State Police and worked as an undercover Narco officer for three years. I have been on the front lines of the "War on Drugs".

I was the highest decorated member of my department upon retirement. I retired as a First Lieutenant.

I self medicate with marijuana.

I belong to LEAP (Law Enforcement Against Prohibition).
Thank you for your service and thanks for supporting LEAP!
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #47
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
So I have several thoughts on this issue.

1. the wife and I already voted, and voted No on it It's great we all have a say

2. a few of the reasons I voted No (oddly I think that it should eventually be legalized)

A. medical marijuana was a joke, it was an end run by the pro-pot crowd to allow pot users to fake illness/injury and smoke legally. I would bet a years salary that at least 50% of the MMJ crowd are fakers. I have a friend who's been smoking it since he was 18, he's never had an injury/illness in his life, yet he went to a Dr. who specializes in this and convinced him he had chronic back pain atnd pot alleviates it, he claimed he hurt his back snowboarding....he's never been on skis let alone a snowboard. I'd say there is an equal level of abuse of other prescription drugs like painkillers and especially Adderol amongst the college crowd. Using this logic we should deny those with legitimate needs such as a recent surgery or ADD because the system is being abused. The problem lies with the system, not the substances.

B. I've had several recent debates/arguments on other forums. The most common argument from them, it doesn't impair your driving or motor skills. When you point out cases where they are wrong, they will argue that something else caused it and not pot. Bullshit, every drug affects people differently and to varying degrees, I know folks who shouldn't operate a mustard bottle after a cup of coffee.

3. The man's name is Mike (not using his full name on here, although once I relate this story, some people might know him). May 5th, 2012 while riding his 3 week old chopper for the first time, he was hit head on. The kid that hit him, was 21 yrs old, and stoned out of his gourd on pot as well as having a car full of pot he was transporting. So much so that he didn't even know he hit him, witnesses had to stop him from trying to drive away. Mike spent the next 2 months and 20 days in the hospital. Almost 3 weeks of that he was in a coma. He had over a dozen surgeries during that time, including one that set a record for the amount of work surgeons had to do. His list of injuries: An aortic dissection for which he had heart surgery, an open pelvic fracture for whih...
c he had the largest open reduction internal fixation the Sweedish doctors have ever performed, a bladder injury, a severe scalp laceration (see photo), issues with the tracheotomy which he needed, cervical fusion of C5 through T2, left rib fractures, left humeral fracture, right radius fracture, and a fracture of his big toe.

He was given last rites the day he was brought in. He was readmitted to the hospital this morning because do to serious complications, he could not walk/get up with out help and is urinating blood. He has several pins, screws, plates, bolts holding his body together, if all goes well he might be able to start riding again in two years. According to the pro-pot crowd, marijuana had nothing to do with the accident, it was a fluke. The kid was driving on the wrong side of the road. Sounds like the kid was a grade A fuckup. Impaired or not, we all make bad decisions and it sounds like a way of life for this individual. Sorry about your friend and MJ probably didn't help the situation any.

4. Legalizing marijuana will hurt the cartels in Mexico...really, and repealing prohibition would shut down moonshiners, yet ATF makes dozens of arrests every year of moonshiners, and it's 2012. I'm willing to bet they arrest less moonshiners now than during prohibition.

5. There is no legitamate way to determine in an instant, like a breathalyzer for alcohol if someone is under the influence during a traffic stop. True that's a tough one. I think the system for alcohol is also flawed but I don't have any solutions.

6. There is no set standard of what is considered under the influence, imparied, etc. and while the state has attempted to impose a standard, the pro-pot crowd has resisted claiming the number is arbitrary. In large part it is arbitrary as it differs from person to person, but a standard does have to be set.

7. MMJ has been a borderline failure in some cities, with users blantantly and regularly violating the law. Including the prohibition on using the product at the point of purchase and then driving off. I have a friend who lives across the street from a facility in G. Junction, he regularly watches people go in, buy, and come out and smoke it in the parking lot and then attempt to drive off. He's watched a few good wrecks happen as a result. I've seen this on Broadway a few times, including watching one guy get in a car with a baggy that he bought from a facility, light up in the car (he was a passenger) and share the joint with the other 3 people in the car. Followed them from Alameda and Broadway to about Littleton Blvd and Broadway, by the time we got there, maintaining their lane was a joke for the driver. 911 was called and Littleton PD did stop them.And how often does this happen in front of a liquor store or a pharmacy with other substances? probably about the same amount
I voted yes because I feel the government's purpose is to enforce the rights and liberties of it's citizens as the people see fit, not limit them against the will of the people. If this passes, it will probably be squashed by the Fed but like others have said it has to start somewhere. Also, making it an amendment to the state constitution is not the best way to go about it, but perfect is the enemy of done. On the list of serious conversations our country needs to have with itself this issue is admittedly near the bottom but I'm glad there are whispers coming from the corners of the room.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #48
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_Pilot View Post
The Dude made a good point. Allow me to amplify it:

Uncle Sam is already a hostile, sloppy drunk and chain smoker - addicted to the "sin-taxes" generated by alcohol and tobacco sales. The last thing we need is to addict him to pot as well. I have yet to see ANY government body act responsibly with public spending and debt. Adding another tax base will mean increased spending, fraud and corruption...... not the reduction of other taxes.

As people grow wiser and stop drinking, smoking and toking, the taxes on those substances will increase to make up for the revenue loss. Once a certain taxation level exists, the black market will thrive once again. And then taxes on everything we have trouble doing without will be established or increased.

I have no problem with folks using pot, for recreation or medication - as long as those people will still be liable for their actions/inactions. Same goes for using alcohol, cocaine, heroin or any other mind-altering substance. Legalizing sales, using taxation FOR ANY PURPOSE as justification, is dangerous insanity.
Man, you hit upon a good point about the taxation issue. I seem to recall about how states would cure their education finance woes with the lottery system. Just fill in the blank with whatever activity that the government can tax or get revenue from, and you'll find a government more than capable of spending and wasting that "extra" revenue in very competent fashion. If you want to vote for legalizing marijuana for a "freedom of choice" issue then do so, but don't try to trumpet how great the taxation results will benefit mankind.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #49
Oldwin1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Wow. I almost went all political on here. Had to do a lot of deleting. The thing I hate is when people get stoned and ride 5 mph on the highway.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #50
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwin1 View Post
Wow. I almost went all political on here. Had to do a lot of deleting. The thing I hate is when people get stoned and ride 5 mph on the highway.

Best pot scene ever.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #51
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat734 View Post
I was a Police Officer for 25 years near Detroit. I worked for a large Sheriff’s department. I was loaned out to the State Police and worked as an undercover Narco officer for three years. I have been on the front lines of the "War on Drugs".

And for those that keep spewing propaganda about the dangers of stoned drivers here are the facts:

The study found that in the 16 states where medical marijuana is legal, there has been a drop of nearly 9% in traffic deaths since the laws took effect and a 5% drop in beer sales.

Do your own research - Know the facts
Thank you for your input. I took your advice and did my own research. I watched a well funded and highly respected documentary called "The Big Lebowski" and according to these experts, this is what happens if you smoke a J then operate a motor vehicle

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 10-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #52
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Thank you for your input. I took your advice and did my own research. I watched a well funded and highly respected documentary called "The Big Lebowski" and according to these experts, this is what happens if you smoke a J then operate a motor vehicle

"Do a J" is the preferred nomenclature dude.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #53
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
"Do a J" is the preferred nomenclature dude.

Kind of like "Chinaman"

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 10-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #54
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Man, you hit upon a good point about the taxation issue. I seem to recall about how states would cure their education finance woes with the lottery system. Just fill in the blank with whatever activity that the government can tax or get revenue from, and you'll find a government more than capable of spending and wasting that "extra" revenue in very competent fashion. If you want to vote for legalizing marijuana for a "freedom of choice" issue then do so, but don't try to trumpet how great the taxation results will benefit mankind.
People would be bitching if there was no taxation.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #55
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post

Kind of like "Chinaman"
The "Chinaman" is not the issue here dude, amiwrong!?

(I can do this all day, I should just stop now)
Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #56
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
The "Chinaman" is not the issue here dude, amiwrong!?

(I can do this all day, I should just stop now)
I'm calmer than you are.

Calmer than you are.

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 10-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #57
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
People would be bitching if there was no taxation.
I think you're probably right, but I'm so tired of phoniness in our society. People should just man up and tell it like it is and base their argument on their real motive. Alcohol prohibition was just as phony.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #58
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,094
Quote:
I think you're probably right, but I'm so tired of phoniness in our society. People should just man up and tell it like it is and base their argument on their real motive. Alcohol prohibition was just as phony.
Here is the thing-people really, really want drugs and alcohol...and prostitutes. But that's another issue all together. So if they want something, why not tax it? I would be all for taxing things that people want and dropping income taxes all together.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #59
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Fair enough. I voted against it because I don't believe this is the right time to do it and I don't like the way it was proposed. I also don't believe a change to the state constitution is the way to go. That is my only argument.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #60
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,677
I could not care less about the tax or economic issues of marijuana.

I could not care less about the safety issues of marijuana

What I do care about is the government telling adults what they can or can not do to their own bodies. I'll vote "yes" for the simple fact that this is a step in a direction I like.

Freedom!
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote