ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #316
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919
The following morning we had eggs and coffee for breakfast. It hit the spot. My family went on to church for the Sunday and I chose to explore and go riding. The scenery was beautiful in the crisp morning air. Nearly every church parking lot was filled.

These Canada Geese have the right idea heading South for the winter. I should take a queue from them and quit riding North every weekend!

I'm a big fan of Roadside America's App and found a number of neat locations on my route for the day. First up is America's oldest operational Drive In, in operation since 1934.

This old bridge and mill warranted a phot break.

Second up for the day is a grain silo converted to a lighthouse...in the middle of the countryside

And continuing with the seafaring theme: A peg-leg pirate

I happened across an antique store/old mill.

Any clue what this thing is/was?

Maybe something from a video game?

Then I came to a fork in the road.

Followed by a paddlewheel riverboat many miles from a waterway.

These Amish statues had the strangest raccoon eyes

I passed through Virginville without taking my pick. I'll save Intercourse for another trip

I rode over a few mountain passes to Pottsville, PA. Home of Yuengling.

I always spot this statue on the hill and decided to go see what it was.

This strange Gargoyle Fountainin town outside the YWCA was used for thirsty horses.

Shucks! Closed on Sunday

I'll be back.

What a neat little snow route sign.

After leaving Pottsville, I spotted a sideroad called "Black Diamond Rd" That sounds challenging...no Bunny Slope. It wound it's way up to a coalfield.

These coal seams were dug 20 feet down or more.

v

I continued following the GPS on a "Road" until we reached the railroad tracks. It was clear that the blockage below was not going to allow the GS to pass. You can see a small portion of the rocks which comprised this road. It was technical but nowhere near as hard as what was to come.

I made it back up the steep rocky slope and paused for some water and a banana. I had respect for this minature oak trying to make it's existence through the hard ground.

RESPECT

I looped back to Black Diamond Rd and saw that it came out in Newtown and was called Church St or Twp. Hwy 571. That sounds promising right?!

The road started to get worse

And worse

At one point I was on top of a steep hill with no way to turn around. There was a 2-3" tree blocking the trail and a rut to the left. I had only one option...to use the weight of the GS and the power of the 1150cc engine to break through the tree and hopefully not land on my arse. I made it through but dragged the tree in front of my rear wheel a few feet before it broke loose.

Then the road turned into this:

I was roughly following these hand drawn arrows on ATV paths that sort of mimicked the highway I was supposed to be on.

Taking a breather. This was a serious workout

This final portion of road up to Newtown was incredibly difficult and really tested my skills to the limit and beyond. Drops, ledges, ruts, basketball sized rocks, tree branches and mud. It was spectacular.

Just when I can see the Church on Church St. I come to this! I could have used a sip of Whisky by this point

I unloaded the GS. That's how I know things are about to get real serious.

This hill was the only option out. I could brave the 45% slope at 90 degree angle to the trail on the ATV path (to left of tree) or make my own route up beside this tree. I attempted this route but dug in the rear about halfway up the hill. IT took all my strength not to dump her there and then walk her back down the hill. Phew.

WHY!!!??!?!??!

The hill above the bike to the left was one of the only exits. I ran up it a bunch of times. It was easily 10ft above the trail, nearly vertical and had roots at the top. Not ideal. Probably not possible without full on knobbies. Did I mention I had a full tank of fuel!

I got crossed up in this deep rut where both the front and rear tires were in their own separate gullies. I just lowered her down to go figure out what to do and how to get out.

I wound up dragging the bike around on the crash bars. From here I was going to attempt the suicide hill when I heard a truck approach. I was dripping sweat and very weak but decided I'd go ask for help or advice. I spoke with the large man with thick PA mountain accent. He told me another ATV trail went off to the north but looped around behind the cemetery. If I could make it up there I may be free! Sorry I have no pics of this since I left my camera with my luggage (so as not to break it). I fell about 3 or 4 times trying to make it up an antrhacite coal hill with loose slag and boulders. Nearing the top, I could barely stand up. I fell overand just sat there next to the bike. Blood pumping through my ears, I needed a rest. Why did I leave my water back with the luggage. Breathe.

The next thing I see, there are three mid-twenties guys walking toward me, guns over their shoulder and beer in hand. "Hey guys! Mind giving me a hand?!"

"Sure! We've been hearing you making a racket out here for a while" They helped push me up while I rode out of the steep hill. This put me on to the coalfields paths which eventually guided me back around the cemetery. I gave them a wave and told em I'd give em any liquor I had if I had any! They couldn't believe I was there on such a big bike. They'd lived there their whole lives and had never seen anyone ride anything that big through there

Oh hells yes

Earned some character marks.

I continued down the road for about 10 minutes until I was chilled to the bone. Everything I was wearing was sweat through. I stopped at a church and changed everything I was wearing. Oh man Dry clothes felt incredible.

and back on down the road with a huge sense of accomplishment. When in doubt, ask a local It has saved me numerous times.

Tower Rd looked cool and went up to this rise but half the way up, it was illegal to pass. Damn.

Red Rock trail as the sun began to sink lower in the sky.

Tactical Vehicles? Where the hell am I?

I'm getting the feeling I shouldn't be here...

Confirmed. GPS had me routed down this road...

I had come from this direction but turned around to take the pic.

Standard construction military buildings circa mid 40's. I've seen these from CA to Newfoundland to Georgia to PA

Ahhh Now it makes sense

I set the GPS toward home and made it to Harrisburg with less than an hour to spare before sunset. Here is a bridge over toward the state capital. It looks like it could be in Europe

Old Saab converted to Electric was cool!

I decided to go check out this island in the middle of the Susquehanna River.

Took a break there and watched this train cross the river.

On the road again

Chasing my shadow down twolane roads at sunset is high on my list of favorite things.

Goodbye sun
v

Passed the York Barbell Man on 83S then continued on to Baltimore 695 and 29S to 495 on home by 8PM

Celebrated with a 8.5% Pumking beer with a friend at the beer garden. Well deserved after this day!
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #317
HBN
is car free

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
intense leaf peepin' colors, any of those tweeked in HDR or au naturale?
a few are tweaked but most are just straight from the camera. It is on a vibrant mode though so that may play into it. Eh whatever...I'm colorblind!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #318
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,461
You sir, are NUTZ

(love the Saab!)

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #319
Dr. Beard
Cenosillicaphobiac

Oddometer: 897
I think your GPS is trying to kill you mate.
1974 XL250 Street Tracker
2002 R1150GS White Whale
Dr. Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #320
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Eh whatever...I'm colorblind!
I forgot about that, makes the fact they are so good even better, oh and that'd make a good sig line
Old 10-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #321
HBN
is car free

One of my oldest friend's and I went on a one day trip this weekend. He drove his Acura NSX and I was on the GS. We left Arlington at 3PM on Friday. Just before we get on 66...

Traffic out of DC was still terrible at 3:00 We then sat for 30 min on 29S due to this accident. Ugghhhh just get me outta the city!

Off Rapidan Rd

Rapidan Mill

We had a delicious dinner at The Exchange BBQ in Gordonsville then rode over to FOXedupONE's place for the night. We had a wonderful time drinking and laughing into the night.

THe following morning Valentino wanted to see what this supercar was all about

Hitting the twisties on 33

Rough Run

Then shit got real

The road was like this the entire way up tp Spruce Knob

But finally on the descent it brightened up a bit

Seneca Rocks

Chocolate Meringue Pie and Coffee.

After cruising along 28 and 55 we stopped at Wardensville for some brews.

WOOO SUN!

On 66 heading home

For a backyard homemade pumpkin beer tapping party

Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #322
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 10,940
Go to bed young man.........
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #323
HBN
is car free

Old 10-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #324
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,439
I see Fox is still in his jammies ... So was it guys day out...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #325
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
For a backyard homemade pumpkin beer tapping party

sounds tasty, and nice fire ya bearded bmw boondocking fog riding crazy basterd
Old 10-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #326
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
It was fun having you guys over! Looks like you had a nice ride/drive. Glad everyone kept it on the road in the wet fog and that you found roads in WV wide enough for that car. Looks like you all had a fun party to after, we didnt have any homemade punkin beer ,but you did miss out on the different brand of partying we do here in Cville. You know youre always welcome,come back by anytime! ;) Val is always fascinated when you pull out and makes motor noises for a few hours after you leave.
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #327
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,783
Quote:

Oh Mike...

Pictures are nice though!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #328
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:

Then I came to a fork in the road.

Well, did you take it?

Nice RR and photos!
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #329
grasshopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Good stuff, Mike! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #330
HBN
is car free

What the fog!?

I had grandiose plans to make a long day of riding in PA coal country with friends. When I ventured out of the garage at 6:30, it was pouring rain and the radar showed it travelling through PA directly where I wanted to go. Bummer. I'm not averse to riding in the rain (when I am on a trip) but on a quiet Sunday, I found myself thinking of other destinations. I rode along the Clara Barton Pkwy to Fletcher's Boat House in the wet, cold and dark morning. A single beam of light came at me and I knew that only ADV folks would be out riding in this crap. Sure enough...it was Macorrel24. We waited around the boathouse parking lot for 5 min until 7:05 to see if HisPistolship would show. Nada. This gave us time to decide to head south away from the rain instead of riding into PA. Off we went!

I had just installed a new set of Ohlins on the GS and quickly noticed the improved handling and ability to soak up potholes. Glorious.

Our first stop was Chapel Point, MD. The fog was still thick but hey...it wasn't raining.

Spotted this at the Nice Bridge.

Yup this sorta sums it up...

Cruised down to Colonial Beach. I've been here when packed in the heat of summer. Nothing like swimming in DC's combined sewer flow runoff.

From here we made a visit to George Washington's Birthplace on The Northern Neck of VA. I'd never been over here so it was fun to explore a part of VA unknown to me.

We made our own parking.

Passed these beauties down the road.

This shot sorta sums up the entire day. It stayed the same brightness all day and felt like the morning that never ended. I'm okay with that. Also my GS clock is wrong so I never knew what time it was.

"The Point" - southernmost lighthouse of the Northern Neck.

We both decided it was time to get a cup of coffee to burn off some mental fog...also some food. The small fishing town of Reedsville was just around the corner so we made our way over and went to the only open establishment there.

About as close to the water and seafood as you can get...

Crab Bisque and Crab Melt.

Proceed at your own risk.

A few hours later we ended up in this nature preserve. Wilna tract(?) or something like that.

Just rearranging the gravel

I was amazed at the large scale landscaping and agricultural tracts down this way. The irrigation systems reminiscent of the plains and the yards of surrounding multi family homes filled with 10 vehicles to a house.

Made it home at 4:30 (Dark:30) with 300 mi or so under my belt for the day. Not what I was planning but we made lemonade with the weather.