Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #286
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
counter-steering it was,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
Woody, do mean counter STEERING OR counter BALANCING seminar?
it was counter-steering all day long,,,and by days end ,,we were all blazing through the twisties...

need a lil lesson???

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #287
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
Baby steps, the 18" rear is next. Hey Cams do you have any clearance issues with 21" front and the Altrider bash plate?
gadday and sorry for not getting back sooner. the 21 ' front with the d606 knobby on it doesnt clear the altrider bash plate. I cut a line down the middle at the front of the bash plate, and cut a small piece out underneath that so i could fold the front back about 20 mm and then welded it back up . the altrider alloy is real good quality so it welded up real nice. if you want more info to have a go your self i ll post some pics and measurements up . cheers cams.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #288
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by cams View Post
gadday and sorry for not getting back sooner. the 21 ' front with the d606 knobby on it doesnt clear the altrider bash plate. I cut a line down the middle at the front of the bash plate, and cut a small piece out underneath that so i could fold the front back about 20 mm and then welded it back up . the altrider alloy is real good quality so it welded up real nice. if you want more info to have a go your self i ll post some pics and measurements up . cheers cams.
Thanks Cams, won't be getting my wheel back until next week. Would love to see some pix. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #289
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

pix n stuff..up-date

Quote:
Thanks Cams, won't be getting my wheel back until next week. Would love to see some pix. Thanks

Mark
hi mark,,just gave Zach a heads up regarding your need for a little fore-play,,well,,here's ateaser ,,the wheel is built ,just needs truing,,will get pic as requested ,,how about Zach truing you wheel later today

woody
Old 09-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #290
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
hi mark,,just gave Zach a heads up regarding your need for a little fore-play,,well,,here's ateaser ,,the wheel is built ,just needs truing,,will get pic as requested ,,how about Zach truing you wheel later today

woody
Far out Woody, I'm back in Georgia today. I'll give y'all a call to square up.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #291
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Tracked my package from Woody's. It's out for delivery on the little brown truck today!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #292
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Found this on my front step today. Well packed and doubled boxed, Hard to believe this package travelled 1500 mile and not one hint of UPS handling.

As nice as the package was, The goody inside was great. Love the lacing and spokes. Thanks Woody and Zach.

Thought I had a 21" new tube but it ended up being a 17" tube in a 21" box, DUH! My local shops are closed Monday so I just went ahead and mounted the tire w/o the tube to check for clearences. Looks like the bash plate could be an issue. Will get a tube, air up and then compress the tubes and check clearences tomorrow. Then a test ride, can't wait.

Can't say enough good things about dealing with Woody and his crew. Top notch product, service and people. Yhanks WWW!

Another Tenere wearing the WWW brand.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #293
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

clearance for 21''tire and bash-plate,,,,

looking good Wolftrax

was going to ask for pics so i could offer some advice,,but ya beat me to it...it looks like if it did hit it would be marginal,,,IMHO,,a well placed blow rubber mallet would push/bend the center plate back a smidgen to clear,,,it would not detract from the strength of your bashplate...i would not cut or reweld the front piece...just saying...
good luck and keep us posted oh and welcome to Team Superlaced
Keep us posted on how she rides on and off-road

woody
PS,,sorry those promised pix never materialized,,they were taken BUT,,,we all took off for the rawhyde shindig/rallye in Moab last week

Old 09-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #294
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally got around to taking the beast for a spin. All I can say is WOW! If anyone is on the fence about putting a 21"er on the Tenere, just do it.

Mark
Old 09-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #295
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

we KNOW the 21'' er WORKS mo betta,,,and your skid plate clearance issues???

Quote:
Finally got around to taking the beast for a spin. All I can say is WOW! If anyone is on the fence about putting a 21"er on the Tenere, just do it.

Mark

skid plate clear ???yes ??? sort of??? no??? what did ya do abou it ??if so ,,what???
holler,
woody
Old 09-29-2012, 04:45 AM   #296
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
skid plate clear ???yes ??? sort of??? no??? what did ya do abou it ??if so ,,what???
holler
woody
Yes the skid plate cleared by about a 1/2". I have a pretty well worn K761 up front so will have to evaluate clearance with a knob when I get around to mounting one up. I was shocked how much better I like the 21" on the highway. The front seems so much lighter now, it tracks great on the tarmac. Ran it on gravel for about 15 miles. It was fresh gravel about 2" to 3" deep and the 21" pushed right through it as opposed to wallowing. It's like having a new bike! More later
Old 10-28-2012, 03:30 AM   #297
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2 tyre sizes.

hello all
been a while since ive been on here.
I just wanted to share a little info with those who care
I fitted a 140/80/18 michelin desert to my 2.50/ 18 ' woody
rear rim, and it didnt fit!!!!!!!. I cant remember the diameter off
the top of my head , but what i do remember is that ,when the tyre is inflated (to 28 psi)
it expands and added a good 8mm to the diameter. which just rubbed on the swingarm.
add 130kph and the expansion of the tyre from speed, and it rubbed a lot. this was quickly fix as the tyre only lasted
800ks of gravel road . ... admittedly i was using a " rear wheel steer technic .
now i have fitted a tkc 80 in 140/80/18 size. it has plenty of clearance. hope it last.
question the woody and wasp . ....when you did all those tyre diameter measurement back at the start of this tread?
did you do them on rims , inflated ?? or just static ?
Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #298
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
hello all
been a while since ive been on here.
I just wanted to share a little info with those who care
I fitted a 140/80/18 michelin desert to my 2.50/ 18 ' woody
rear rim, and it didnt fit!!!!!!!. I cant remember the diameter off
the top of my head , but what i do remember is that ,when the tyre is inflated (to 28 psi)
it expands and added a good 8mm to the diameter. which just rubbed on the swingarm.
add 130kph and the expansion of the tyre from speed, and it rubbed a lot. this was quickly fix as the tyre only lasted
800ks of gravel road . ... admittedly i was using a " rear wheel steer technic .
now i have fitted a tkc 80 in 140/80/18 size. it has plenty of clearance. hope it last.
question the woody and wasp . ....when you did all those tyre diameter measurement back at the start of this tread?
did you do them on rims , inflated ?? or just static ?
All the tires are quite different in size Cams.
I am sure that I have reported lack of clearance on the 18" rear with the current 140/80/18 Heidenau that I have installed. Clearance to the swingarm when brand new was in the order of a couple of millimeters. Like yours my tire expanded in diameter at speed and rubbed on the centre of the swingarm, only for a few dozen kilometers I suppose.

I originally had a Mefo Stone Master full knobby fitted which had around 6mm clearance but it handled like shit with the weight of the bike on bitumen.

I feel the TKC or similar in a 130 width would come up just as wide on the 2.5" rim but probably give a little more clearance to the swingarm.

Greg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #299
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

2.5 vs 3.5 ...i hope

hello all again its be a while . anyway straight to it. I had a 2.5' /18 on the back of me s10 and lovd it...only problem is 140 width tyre wont fit because the narrow rim pulls the tyre in and pushes the centre out. o.k. fitted a 130 tkc . clearance probs solved. had a flat on the side on the road with the 130 tyre and found it all most impossible to change. ( not enough room for the bead to drop into). as far as everything else the 2.5 set up is an absolutely fantastic dirt ripping tool....and not bad at all on the tar. Now its time to try a 3.5'/18' from the good man himself. plan is to fit a 150/70/18 k60 scout to the new rim. should give enough room for road side tyre changes, a bigger foot print hence better tyre wear and grip. any way we will see how we go....

p.s. thanks to woody for helping my mate out who was stranded in Texas with a fail oem rim here recently. It good people like woody and hes team who put them selves out for total strangers who make this a fun world to live in.... thanks again woody.

cams screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 06:07 PM
cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #300
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
hello all again its be a while . anyway straight to it. I had a 2.5' /18 on the back of me s10 and lovd it...only problem is 140 width tyre wont fit because the narrow rim pulls the tyre in and pushes the centre out. o.k. fitted a 130 tkc . clearance probs solved. had a flat on the side on the road with the 130 tyre and found it all most impossible to change. ( not enough room for the bead to drop into). as far as everything else the 2.5 set up is an absolutely fantastic dirt ripping tool....and not bad at all on the tar. Now its time to try a 3.5'/18' for the good man himself. plan is to fit a 150/70/18 k60 scout to the new rim. should give enough room for road side tyre changes, a bigger foot print hence better tyre wear and grip. any way we will see how we go....

p.s. thanks to woody for helping my mate out who was stranded in Texas with a fail oem rim here recently. It good people like woody and hes team who put them selves out for total strangers who make this a fun world to live in.... thanks again woody.
Hey Cams,
Can you send some pics of your Avrider bash plate mods?