Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #316
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Lose the fairing, OK, but keep the body!
Calling First Dibs on Fairing & Body should you choose to sell!

PM me if you want to sell either, or both. Sending you a PM now w/ my info.

Thanks!
Otis

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #317
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
and its a runner!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCpmr...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #318
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis power View Post

Harry Truman
Old 05-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #319
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,129
Wow... that's awesome. I've thought about doing that with my 550E. Details on the seat and fork...

Also, what tires are those and did you have to modify the front fender??

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #320
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,534
Not mine but a pic from last weekend.

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #321
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
got the turbo bike yesterday, happy with it.

the tracy body needs a little love on the molded in gas tank, so i removed the body work and put the stock tank on, i gotta see how it runs.

got up this morning, aired up the tires,threw in a fresh battery and some gas decided i have to ride it. screw the root beer colored brake fluid and tires hard as a wedding night dick.
started up easy, no funny noises. headlight, tail light, brake light, gauges all worked. has a baffle in place so not to loud. good thing since my jack off neighbor was outside and he's quick to call the heat on any of my bikes that he thinks exceed the acceptable decibel rating.
put on my helmet and gloves to add an air of legitimacy and took of down the street. gee, those bare subframe rails are a bit chilly on my arse.
couldn't of picked a worse time for the maiden voyage. yellow buses swarming the neighborhood picking up the grade schoolers. so i just chilled, made sure it stopped, shifted and didn't die until the little ones were clear.well it barked, spit, backfired and finally started settling down a bit (me thinks this bike has sat for a long time). no shakes or shimmys, shifted well (clutch must of been beefed up, the springs sure feel like it) gave it the gas for a few short bursts and its definitely a turbo bike with a functioning turbo. needs a little tuning, servicing, carb adjusting and an air filter but it sure is cool.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #322
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 942
A note on my GS850

So, I've had a GS850G, 1980, sitting in various garages for the past few years.

Started working on this past weekend, and I cleaned out the carbs.

I used a method from another part of this forum, and just dumped the carbs whole into a bucket of Pine-Sol and water, at about a 25% solution.

God-damn they came out clean! I even took two of them apart, and checked all the jets and needles, and even the tiny holes are all clear.

The outside portion of the carb facing the road is in rough shape, as is the rest of the bike. I'll be working on it this weekend again, and I'll get some pictures up.

This is what she looked like when I bought it:

www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #323
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis power View Post
..... but it sure is cool.
Damn Right!

Make sure to let us know when it's Road Ready. I'll have the 1100 fixed & legal pretty soon.
Would be taken care of by now but I'm working too much (a GOOD thing).

Otis

Harry Truman
Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #324
Jeremiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
New Project '76 GS750

Just brought home a real barn find! Including cobwebs and dust. Has not seen the light of day for 7 or 8 years. The owner said it was running bad and started to leak gas out of the carbs. Looks like carb's are tops on the list after I get it apart - calipers are frozen too.

Anybody know of a site or forum that has good info on these bikes? I think I have my winter project for the cost of the trailer so far.

Looks to be completely stock except aftermarket horns - The PO said he never used them because the circuit breaker would trip when he did! Guess there is some electrical work to be done too!

GL1800
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #325
ScottS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
well done.

http://www.thegsresources.com/

Scott
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #326
Bluebone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
my 1st bike ever was new off the showroom floor GS550L around '84 or '85 model. this is a factory photo of it:

it was a pretty small frame but that thing was fast. i loved that bike and still miss it.
Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #327
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,172
Picked this 1979 GS850G cheap the other day. The bike sat for a while. The seller had it running earlier this year but one carb was leaking gas through the overflow so I imagine the needle(s?) is hanging up.
Odometer says 17k miles and the seller claims that's correct. You find quite a few low mile bikes in MT. since the riding season is short for some folks.
The bike looks pretty original. I found that the muffler hangers have been "home built" as is the rear tank mount under the seat. Other than that, all appears unmolested. Electrical all in one piece, all lights work, seat in good shape, tank interior clean, nothing missing that I can see. The tires appear fairly new. (Dunlops) One side cover is cracked / has the mounting "knob" broke off but I have the knob....should be able to repair.
I have it sitting under a cover for the time being. I'll be putting it in line with my other projects for when I get to to AZ. in the next few weeks.

I had a GS850L years back. Can't remember what year it was ( maybe a 1980?). It was a great bike and was heavy but very good on the road.
I see some GS850's have spoked wheels, some have painted fenders, some have different body work. They seem to have had a lot of changes, some within the same model year..... but maybe they were different model designations?

I'll post a few more photos after I get it cleaned up and in running order. I bought it to repair and "flip" but I have a tendancy to "fall in like" with some of my old projects. I'm looking forward to riding it.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #328
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
Picked this 1979 GS850G cheap the other day. The bike sat for a while. The seller had it running earlier this year but one carb was leaking gas through the overflow so I imagine the needle(s?) is hanging up.
Odometer says 17k miles and the seller claims that's correct. You find quite a few low mile bikes in MT. since the riding season is short for some folks.
The bike looks pretty original. I found that the muffler hangers have been "home built" as is the rear tank mount under the seat. Other than that, all appears unmolested. Electrical all in one piece, all lights work, seat in good shape, tank interior clean, nothing missing that I can see. The tires appear fairly new. (Dunlops) One side cover is cracked / has the mounting "knob" broke off but I have the knob....should be able to repair.
I have it sitting under a cover for the time being. I'll be putting it in line with my other projects for when I get to to AZ. in the next few weeks.

I had a GS850L years back. Can't remember what year it was ( maybe a 1980?). It was a great bike and was heavy but very good on the road.
I see some GS850's have spoked wheels, some have painted fenders, some have different body work. They seem to have had a lot of changes, some within the same model year..... but maybe they were different model designations?

I'll post a few more photos after I get it cleaned up and in running order. I bought it to repair and "flip" but I have a tendancy to "fall in like" with some of my old projects. I'm looking forward to riding it.
"Fall in like" I can relate.I should sell every thing I have moto related and buy one quality read to go bike.Instead,I spend more time wrenching than riding.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #329
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
"Fall in like" I can relate.I should sell every thing I have moto related and buy one quality read to go bike.Instead,I spend more time wrenching than riding.
I feel your pain......I'm in the same boat.....my BMW sidehack needs final drive / wheel splines.....My naked GL Goldwing needs a valve adjustment/ carb work ...I take on a derelict GS......and now I'm looking at a 1956 BMW junker......

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #330
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,129
That 56 Beemer should bring some dough.If you can let her go.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote