Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #1306
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post

Yeah same shit different year.

Thank you fellows, I think it's good to be back updating this thread. It's been on my mind for a while, not sure if I wanted start a new thread with some of the adventures I've been on this year or not even share my tales at all. I figured it was healthiest for myself to just keep it going here since I'm currently touring and getting ready for a little ride afterwards.
I have a lot of catching up to do to get current times, plenty of photos and a few tales. I probably will bounce around in Roadie in Motion standard practice.

Thanks again for the welcome back, I'm looking forward to what comes next too.

Got to run, it's showtime!

-finn

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #1307
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 834
Finn I am so glad that you have decided to show us where have you been. Marvelous way of dong things...and pics.....well......
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #1308
Hawk
Banned

Oddometer: 16,705
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #1309
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

So there Kevin and I were, marveling at the beauty of the mountain rising into the clouds from this lush green and wet valley we had slept in.
A little coffee was in order before we started packing. It had been decided we were going to pack up and ride back over Beartooth Pass, and through Yellowstone to camp somewhere south of the park. It made sense to use our second to last day wisely and get closer to Pocatello so as to make the last day mellow. (Plus I wanted to scout the area for a campsites as this is around where Nancy and I were to camp the first night.)

After coffee we packed up and enjoyed railing it up Beartooth - it's such an amazing road.
It could have been a combination of things, but the roaring of the knobbies and that sensation you get when you are sliding sideways on the pavement in twisties, and the view made this mornings ride one of the best of the trip to date.

Near the summit, it started to rain when we jumped off the pavement to explore some trails. It was a little muddy, the big rock were slippy, and we had a blast. It's these times of random challenging moments I enjoy greatly when riding, and this was even better sharing with Kevin.

OH what the fuck.

At some point, the oil light came on....

I stopped and checked, the oil level was fine, and right where it was after I put fresh oil in it before the trip.
Maybe I should just put tape over my warning lights so I can just enjoy the ride!

More time spent chatting with the stop sign lady, this one telling us all about her whole family who travels and works gigs like this for months at a time, living out of an RV. The way she made it sound, it was a lot like the touring I do type of lifestyle, though she pointed out she had much better views at her workplace. I agreed.

There was some weather coming as we stopped for fuel and some food, living in SoCal, I really missed storms and rain... but not the long winters and snow like in Chicago.

After an uneventful ride back through Yellowstone where we had stocked up with food and drink for the night, we found another wonderful campsite off of Ashton-Flagg Ranch road, right next to a reservoir.
This campsite was special though, as it was a primitive site on public land, but it had a very nice, quite large and heavy table.

We had a few toasts to Bill and his family. I couldn't help but admire this gesture, wondering if there will be anyone who will care enough around to do something like this for me when it's my time to move on. I guess it's one of the not so good things about not having any kids or a big family of my own. I didn't dwell on those lonely thoughts long though, Kevin was getting ready to "slay" the local fish that were jumping all over the place, a fire needed to be built, photos to take, dinner cooked, a joint to smoke, etc.... Need..... To.....Stay.......Busy.

Needless to say, this night was very enjoyable as our last camping. A perfect spot with good vibes, wonderful company, and a great view.

No bears, and no rain.

We were going to try and take backroads around Grand Tetons, I had made a route the night before on the Garmin Montana.... Turns out many of the "roads" turned out to be single track for horses only.

So we did what we could and wandered our way towards Pocatello. This chapter is almost over, Nancy's coming!
I really enjoyed how the land opened up rather quickly, changing into rolling farmland as we rode on by. You could easily tell it was fall because all the farmers were out in force tending to their land before the snow comes and covers it all.

Weird guy in a field.

We rolled into Pocatello powersports in time to get some fresh rubber. While this tire had a little life left in it, it had worn out in 5 days, and there was going to be no shops for many miles. I didn't want to waist time with finding a tire with Nancy so good riddance Scorpion Rally, hello old friend the D606.
Thanks to the guys at the shop who got me in and out very quickly and in great spirits!

We got a motel, had a nice Italian meal to end the trip. It was great times Kevin, and I love ya..... but Nancy's much cuter and better to spoon with..... I rode with him to the tiny little airport where he took his gear and parked the bike. I took the keys and went to find a coffee shop since Nancy was delayed 6 hours cause' of that douchebag pilot.

I found a great coffee shop on the university campus, and have a new LOST and Freedom Decal model....
Was kind of funny, the owner dude told her to "stike a pose" and she jumped into the pose.... they learn early don't they?

LostRider.com
Old 10-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #1310
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

I really should go back and read this thread from the beginning.... It's scary to think of the people reading all my thoughts from years of my life in one sitting.
No really.
My life is like the wind and changes quite often.... I'm just along for the ride.

It's not what you HAVE.. it's what you ENJOY.

That's pretty darn good.

After reading back a ways I still think it's peculiar how people compliment on my supposed writing skills, yet I still can't get across the basic, and core values of my life.
So many miss what I'm unable to say in a way that pleases me.

Hey, a little Jerry Springer drama that might offend some folks now and then keeps things fresh and makes my RR unique, like me, as I have a hard time filtering things in between my brain and mouth all the time.
Then again, honestly, I think of a lot of things when riding, some controversial, some enlightening, some quite boring. But I do smoke a lot of pot, so my reality, and day dreaming blend together quite nicely.
Unfortunately for writing purposes I'm hostage to what sticks in my mind when trying to recall the day, photos help, but most of it gets LOST. It would be great to remember all the crap I think while riding, or so I think now and then. Probably not though.

See, this is the shit you should really just ignore.

On with it.

Nancy lands in Pocatello!!!!!

Nancy was now sharing the reality at hand - Many miles of dirt between us and home.
As much as a gypsy lifestyle mine seems to be, the current reality is we had discussed, practiced, studied, rehearsed, researched, and practiced some more for this trip. I had not "planned" like this before, as I was able to be very selfish without much planning. We knew that "planned" route, but wanted to not follow a predetermined path if you know what I mean.
Many of nights over a bottle or two of wine we studied the huge maps on our walls, with me explaining the terrain in a given area, acknowledging that the "gospel" I'm preaching about the route will change in a heartbeat with the weather..... Nancy had to be back at work on a given date, therefore miles needed to be counted, or so I thought.

"It's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN, any Adventurer get's hurt doing what they love".....

She accepted this warning.

At this point, I think she really had no idea what it meant to go on a ride like this, but I had faith that she's prevail with the challenges ahead.
While I wanted that gorgeous smile to stay, I knew there would be coming moments it would be torn right from her face in an instant.
So is the life of any Adventurer.

Things were taken out of our hands, all the nights of discussing, and researching how we would use her limited time wisely were ripped from our control when the pilot was late, changing our path forever.
Nancy had now landed in Pocatello at 6PM instead of 12PM, we just needed to get her luggage and strap it to her little GS.
It was 158 miles to the reservoir I wanted to camp by, right in between Yellowstone and Grand Tetons NP. (with all the talk, the first night was important for me to knock her socks off....)

Sunset was at 8:12PM

Th first 100 miles were a mix of highway and country paved roads, we took advantage and basically hauled ass, racing the sun - my favorite opponent.

We were losing the race, but stopped anyways to layer up and stay warm as the temp dropped 25º from when she landed.
The landscape going from the high desert looking scrubland in Idaho, to fertile lands bordering the foothills leading to America's original National Parks was most beautiful this time of day - The Golden Hour.
Being as it was in the heart of the Fall Harvest, farmers were everywhere dong the things that farmer do this time of year tending their land, though most seemed to be annoyed with our intrusion, and use of public paved road so quickly as we waived and passed by in that race against the sun that cannot be won.
The colors where changing, the mountains in the horizon were getting taller.... a great start to Nancy's Adventure

About the same time the sun set, we migrated from country pavement roads to gravel.
Now, as you might see, Nancy always has glasses on, (She's fricking blind without them) and doesn't have the night vision I do. Add in a crappy OEM headlight to her G650GS, and night riding wasn't her strong suit.
At this point we were in new territory, figuring out how to ride together, and deal with the darkness plus dust coming up from the gravel road. We had 25 miles of twisty gravel roads to navigate till the lakes...
With a little trial and error, it seemed best for Nancy to lead and me to hold in a formation that put her right on my 2 o'clock. That way I stayed out of her dust, yet was able to aim the incredibly bright Trail Tech HID race light downrange to help her impaired night vision. My headlight was like a lighthouse compared to her candle...
I told her time and time again that we were never in any hurry and the most important thing to me was her being safe and to ride at her own pace.

This first night I thought was a slap into reality, this is for real.... we are far from help, the roads were challenging, and it was getting real dark. One time we stopped, and she just looked at me and said, "I'm riding my motorbike in WYOMING!"
I understand thinking about how far you were away from home on your bike....... welcome to my world, and starting a relationship with your horse.

I know she was really trying "not to slow me down" as she had repeatedly said.... but I was now riding her ride, not my ride, and was very content doing just that.
"lets just enjoy our ride".... be safe darling.

I haven't proclaimed it, but Kevin and I had really hauled ass for the most part. The Tour of Idaho as described by the creator, is a fast and dirty route, and he was on a "dirt bike", not a 500 pound touring machine.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I has gotten the "push it hard" riding out of my system, and was cool with riding Nancy's ride..... I like it all.

About 10 miles out from our campsite the sun gave up her glory of the day...
I had to snap Nancy out of her scary world of evil, dark gravel roads to stop and look what was being shown to us.
"look darling".... she was so focused, and just trying to survive.

=

LostRider.com
Old 10-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #1311
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Here we were, riding formation in the night on the this small gravel road bordering Yellowstone National Park. I knew Nancy couldn't see well and she was trying hard to go fast, I had to stop and remind her we were now on ARE time, and were in no hurry.

So much has transpired in my/our lives to get us to this point where we were free and getting Lost, setting out on the first adventure like this for both of us.

It was very nice indeed to have found such a girl to share my life with, especially the part on two wheels far from "home", but right at home.

When Kevin and I arrived at the campsite near here, I kept riding for another hour scouting around the area. Kevin's getting pretty old, and he was content with drinking a beer and enjoying the picturesque landscape while I went and explored the area.
I didn't think the easily accessible campsites would be available over the Labor Day holiday weekend that Nancy and I wrongfully chose to start our journey on...

Anyways, that time exploring was well spent as "that" campsite we had used was occupied, as was camp Plan B , luckily Plan C was much more difficult to get to and we were in luck.
By this time Nancy was about done, it had been a long day for her, getting up at 3:30 AM to get a shuttle to the airport to get delayed, etc etc.... Plus the night dirt road riding was pretty stressful, so she was ready to chill....
As soon as we arrived, I took the bags off her bike and took off to go get driftwood from a pile I had found earlier, not wanting to just leave her along in the dark woods, but with a beer in hand and protection by her side she would do just fine.
Upon my return 15 minute slater we sprung into action, built a fire and setup camp. Getting a system together to optimize our load in time together - I just can't help being a Roadie.
Knowing we would come in late, we brought some deli sandwiches to make things easy.

A nice start to our journey.

Nancy had no idea where we were, as her bike had no GPS on it and we arrived in the darkness, it was real cool to open the tents rainfly to reveal the gorgeous Wyoming lake right next to our site.

BAM!

This was the beginning of the running joke - Front Row!

We had Front Row seats to the world, to our world! This was a nice view to wake up to on our first day, for sure.

No cage around us, no aluminum roof of an RV, or shingles on a building, no guides or support vehicles, we were IN IT.
This is not a spectators sport, and the dangers are real, but if you want to have Front Row seats to The World then you have to count on yourself to see your way out, or now, in this case, you have to depend on Each Other to come out the other end of the trail.

Now, I might be a little rough around the edges sharing my ups and downs of life, we might be camping and sleeping on dirt so to speak, but we are indeed civilized people and the morning was started out with a darn good cup of coffee with fresh cream.

Ah, so clean and happy! This was a very happy time for me, for us. (though I knew in the back of my head this girl I love had no f'ing clue of the challenges that lie ahead, as you just can't until you do it)

We slowly stowed our gear, since the pack needed to get sorted out for the first time and we were really in no hurry.
I guess even though I was upset with the pilot who was LATE to his flight, changing our plans, I was now very content with how it all worked out. We were together, riding our ride and that's all that matters now. Plus the timing was just fine, taking Kevin's advice we were going to have lunch in the Mural Room at Jenny Lake Lodge , another great way to start this adventure in style! ( she was just smiling away, thinking she was on vacation and it would all be romantic and perfect).....

**Disclaimer**

There's going to be quite a few photos of Nancy in the following pages, as she's a much better subject to shoot than Kevin or my bike with various backgrounds. I hope you all don't mind, just remember it's not all about you. :loll

It was now early afternoon, we had stocked up with food and beer at the market in the park and were on the Continental Divide Route heading south. We would be riding a hybrid of the CDR and the Continental Divide Trail, with another common phrase/joke coming into to play on out journey.

Shortcut!

I did have tracks, but also like to venture off them, to see if the lines on the GPS actually connect in with the lines I'm "supposed" to be on.
It was common for me to stop and consult with Nancy about options when we came to them, this way will be shorter but rougher, that way will possibly have more sand, that way will be fast and straight, would you like slow, scenic and twisty darling, or fast and straight, etc, etc...

ie; SHORTCUT!

When we would find ourselves in more difficult riding conditions than was ideal, she would remind me, SHORTCUT?.....

SO we now have

Front Row!

and

Shortcut!

this was gonna be good.

Not far from the park we spotted the first signs of the huge forest fires that dotted the countryside

Nancy hadn't had many encounters with crazed wild cows, and this would be the first of many very imposing and scary cows to have threatened Nancy's life. She did real good of just creeping by them and not spooking them into a violent rampage.

LostRider.com
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #1312
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

We had stopped for fuel for the last time, there was possibly no fuel for 200+ miles if Wild Bill wasn't selling some in Atlantic City, WY. Matter of fact we didn't even go through Atlantic city - SHORTCUT!
Didn't matter to me, as I now could carry 9 gallons of fuel on my GS that I could easily share with Nancy, so we were all set and had a range well over 200 miles each.

The landscape was ever-changing, from thick forests and jagged mountains to rolling scrubland, as I call it.
The sun was getting low, and we were looking for a place to camp, knowing "campgrounds" would be full we ventured off the CDR scrubland section and into the mountains.
Nancy was still saying now and then "I'm riding my bike on dirt roads in WYOMING!"
The amazement in her eyes was so awesome to see for me.

BTW, many of my photos from this trip are geotagged, you can see the exact location using the Smugmug Maps feature found in my gallery

Once again the sun was beating me, my main concern was water as we only had what was in our hydration packs on our backs, and both of us used Camelbak Elixer tablets, her with caffeine, mine without. Not that the lack of water was life threatening, but we needed to find a water source in order to have coffee in the morning and that's pretty important....
Right before I lost the race with the sun, we climbed up enough up in the mountains and finally passed a nice flowing stream to fill the Gravity Works Dirty bag I keep handy in my backpack.
As we climbed there were conflicting sign saying Private Property, and National Forest land.
We came upon a seldom used two track road and found this small meadow to camp in, hopefully we weren't trespassing...
The temperature was dropping fast as we were pretty high up, it already 40º at sunset.
Having water, beers, fresh food, with the stars coming out, music paying on the Jambox, and each other life could't be better.

Then there's Nancy gathering wood, always good.

Here you go Corey, bacon wrapped turkey filet's with wild rice with green pepper.... mmmmm..... the first of many fine meals cooked on wood coals on the ground.
Food prepared outside like this, cooked on wood coals with all the stars, sounds, and smells inevitably taste far better than anything cooked in a kitchen IMO.
Hell, I can hardly eat steak anymore except when camping cause I'm just disappointed with anything else.

Packing, unpacking. Packing, unpacking. Packing, unpacking. Packing, unpacking.
The Wolfman bags are quite stout, but a bloody pain in the ass to secure day in and day out if you have them packed tightly.....

Now comes the wide open expanses the Wyoming has to offer, with beauty found everywhere in the vastness. The CDR in this section is a well maintained grated gravel road, enter SHORTCUT, and FRONT ROW to the world!!!

LostRider.com
Old 10-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #1313
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Pumping Fuel...

One hell of a day of the best riding, we had Front Row seat on our bikes to the world, and SHORTCUT! challenges all day with a nice mix of two track and gravel roads.
To top it off, we found the perfect campsite down an ATV trail, of the "main" dirt road with a fast flowing stream right next to us.
It was shower day, having a nearby water source was imperative.

Nancy was a real sport and had taken to camping like a Lab to water. She packed very light, didn't mind taking a crap in the woods, would eat beans out of can washed down with crappy warm beer, and never complained about anything. (Not that I ever made her eat beans, but she would!)
But, with that said, I had promised a shower every other day, and it was time cause she was covered in dust, and her hair was like a dirt sponge.

The Pocket Shower was the answer, packing down about the same size as a pack of cigs, this would be a great inexpensive purchase to keep Nancy feeling like a women while living in the woods.

Just 2 pots of boiling water heated up on the Eta Express, combined with cold water, all filtered, gave us a 7 minute warm shower in this lush, green forest that was our home for the night in fuck-all-nowhere Wyoming.
I did a little climbing to get the shower in just the right spot, since this was a new tool to carry I'm still figuring out the best way to get the most out of it.
As Nancy showered she kept repeating, "I can't believe how nice this is!"
Money can't buy these experiences, there's no resort you can go to, you just have to create them on your own. Life is good in our house tonight.

While I got the water ready, and built a huge fire out of small pieces of wood I had chopped up, Nancy defended our campsite from a powerful invading force of killer logs!
Die logs die!
Don't mess with Nancy.

After the shower we had a natural hair dryer, with a soon to be a nice bed of coals to cook another delicious dinner on.

What more can I ask for?

Sorry, no photos of the actual showering you dirty bastards......

LostRider.com
Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #1314
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,250
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #1315
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Welcome back

Good to see your posts again. So many fabulous photos. I think my favorite is the wheat fields.

I realize that they aren't current problems but they may come up again;
Engine cutting out - I immediately thought about clogged fuel injectors. The ethanol in the gasoline combines with water and makes crud that can clog the super fine holes in the fuel injectors - a problem with all F800s. I keep it under control with Star-tron, Techron also helps.
Oil light on but oil is OK - the computer pops up this warning if the fan cannot turn - rocks, mud, sticks can do this. I've seen this on my bike and my buddy's.

We met briefly in Dawson City in 2009. Many miles and adventures for both of us since then.

Thanks for your photos and stories.
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #1316
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Howdy Klay!

It's feels like a lifetime ago you took me into your home and we had that delicious meal at your table. I hope to cross paths with you again someday.

Redhawk, I remember all too well meeting you while doing laundry way up yonder. Thanks for the heads up, more than likely you are correct, it was probably my fan on the GS clogged with rocks that made the oil light come on…. something good to know for F800 owners.

Back to catching up….

We awoke to yet another perfect day with the sun shining, birds chirping, delicious coffee a flowin'. Add in that the previous night was Shower night, and life was perfect!
What would make today even more special is the fact that Nancy would be discovering Colorful Colorado for the first time, up close and personal on her mighty little GS. There's no confusing Colorado with any other state, when you cross the border, you know you're in Colorado.
After lucking out since it was Labor Day monday and the road was not in fact closed with loggers working, we had a very civilized and delicious Thai and sushi lunch in Steamboat Springs. I love the contrasts available in this great country of ours when traveling via motorbike. Colorado is one of the few states where you can be surrounded by vast wildness, then bounce into a stylish mountain resort town to have a civilized, albeit international flavor meal.
Afterwards we set out again heading south on the CDR, with the mountains starting to build up, the greens and yellows as the predominate colors making up the landscape. More rivers and trees, more jagged rock formations, and stylish "cabins" popping up here and there. Yeah, Colorado.

Nancy's first water crossing!
Knowing that I couldn't let her stop and think about it, I yelled across, go slow but stay on the throttle! Don't fall since I don't have a spark plug socket for your bike!

I figured fear was as good of motivator as any....
She didn't really hear me anyways, and just went for it.

Cool chick, big sky.

About the right time we came across this campground, an empty campground actually.
No neighbors, check.
River just a stone throw away, check.
Firewood, check.

We had made it through the holiday weekend with great campsites without neighbors, and this was good enough for us..... no sense in making the day too long.

Yesterday was shower day, but today was Charging Day..... I had made a double dongle thingy that allowed me to charge 2 tools/gadgets at once off the Shorai battery on my bike. I figured I didn't need to be able to charge things while moving (needing to wire up the camera box on the seat), and this is what I came up with to keep my stuff charged.

We would be needing some hot coals to cook the bacon wrapped pork tenderloins we bought earlier, so a big fire is in order.

Around this time a big 5th wheel RV pulls in.

I might have stated how I feel about RV's, especially ones who pull right up next to me while I'm chilling....
We were sitting there going, no fucking way, really, he's going to, oh no, whole empty campground, shit....
After dicking with it, he settled in right next to us. I was not happy, but controlling myself since Nancy was there....
Well, the real old guy comes out of his diesel truck take shis "truckers" hat off and boldly proclaims, "I hope you don't mind, we'll try not to ruin the neighborhood!", served with a big smile and chuckle. Texas plates.
How could I be mad, I mean, he's a character who's cool, and not some douchebag who ignores me like the dude in Banff.
Shortly thereafter Nancy watches the old guy give a nice long kiss to his wife after taking in the view.... we didn't mind sharing the moonlight with them at all, she thought it was very romantic.

The moon was bright, crappy photo but you get the idea.
When this trip started for me, the moon was weak and didn't rise until midnight or so, now it was getting fuller, and rising earlier.... I like seeing the stars, but also enjoy not needing a flashlight or seeing the landscape under a full moon. The best way to do it is to stay out camping long enough to follow the moon through it's phases. I miss being in tune with the moon, only how you can be when camping.

LostRider.com
Old 10-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #1317
Just_Jake
You lookin' at me...?

Oddometer: 389

Enjoying the ride. Great pictures as always.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #1318
azorat
grand Vizir

Oddometer: 50
Thumb

Good to be able to read about your latest adventures - and to admire the pictures that you kindly share with us.
Thank you.
azorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #1319
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

I'm currently holed up in Brooklyn, riding out the hurricane last night with my crew. The tour I'm on has now been cancelled so I'm going home soon and figured I should get to work posting up.
It's kind of hard to stay positive with all this destruction all around me, once again going through my photos and sharing them is my happy place to go to.
We went through a typhoon with widespread destruction and flooding while we were in Manilla this summer, I can't help but feel so helpless once again.

This Roadie is going to get into two wheeled motion once again, and I have so much catching up to do in here to get current…
My 40th bday is coming up soon and my present to myself is to spend some quality time on my bike and try to make some photos.

I feel this increasing pressure to live well, I know it's just a number, but I never even thought I would live to be this age.

One Life One Chance.

Back to happy times riding with Nancy last year….

Our first night camping in Colorado was very enjoyable, thought things changed quite quickly - like the weather in the mountains.

About sunrise it started to thunder and rain.

Nancy's a southern California girl, and like many southern California natives she has very little experience with rain, especially riding and camping while water falls from the sky. Matter of fact her experience with riding and camping in rain amounts to about never.

We knew this day would come, well at least I knew this day would come and had tried to prep her the best I could. Honestly I was excited, first off I love the sound of rain drops drumming the tight tent walls that I had taken the time to stake out and secure for any weather the night before.
It's a soothing sound, and after spending so many nights over the years sleeping on a moving tour bus I prefer sleeping with a steady background noise. So sleeping in the very well proven 100% water proof Big Agnes Emerald Mountain tent was always enjoyable, though it's been a while for me living in SoCal and all.
Second we were now moving into prime photo territory and nothing is better for interesting images than some nasty weather. Diffused lighting, imposing clouds on the horizon, muddy roads, water crossings - all great ingredients for impactful photo opportunities. (Shit, impactful's not a real word, oh well, it should BE!)

With a little rain there would be no more dust, as we were still trying to figure out the best way to ride together in duty conditions. If it stayed real light like this we would have no dust and even better traction on the gravel roads. Nancy was concerned about riding in the rain, luckily riding on wet gravel isn't nearly as scary as wet pavement with knobby tires, and there wasn't too much pavement in our future. My main concern was visibility since Nancy wears glasses and didn't have a proper Pinlock face shield to ward off the fog.

Anyways, I was hoping that the rain just kept going and we'd be stuck in the tent all day.

Not being so lucky the rain let up an hour later and then stopped, though once we emerged from the tent it was obvious we were just in a short break from the rain being in a hole, surrounded by dark clouds. No screwing around this morning, no coffee, just a bowl, the rain was now back to being light and we packed up quickly, with me taking the time to show Nancy how to strike the tent from inside the rainfly so as not to get the tent wet. (Nancy took care of the tent) I do carry an extra, small waterproof Event bag so in times like this I can separate my soaking wet tent fly, and the dry tent with groundcloth. Who knows if we would have enough time or the weather would allow me to dry out the tent tonight so there's no sense in getting it all wet by putting it in the same bag as the wet fly.

The rain came and went as we moved south into the Rocky Mountains and gained altitude... life was good.

There's just something satisfying about traveling on dirt roads with storm clouds looming. A true sense of adventure, we have nothing but our horse and our riding gear to protect us from nature.
This in no spectator sort, and we have Front Row seats to Our World!

OK, now Nancy being the badass that she is, came to this water crossing, and after the easy one (1st one....)she had the day before, she just hit it without fear..... making for a great photo, one of my favorites, but taking one for the team and for the sake of visual art was soaked and come out the other side totally missing the road!
As I watched her approach the smile got bigger cause I knew what would happen and just hoped she didn't hurt herself. The girl had little fear, and a little fear now and then is good.....

Won't be doing that again!!!

Around here our time on the Continental Divide Route/Trail was done, it was Trans America Trail time! We turned right, heading West.

LOST

It was somewhere around here that the rain started back, heavy this time, and since we were now around 9,000 feet it was also about 40ºF in the afternoon. We talked about it, and Nancy said she was all for pushing on and camping in this weather tonight, but I knew now would be a good time to get our first motel room of the trip.
After a couple of hot showers, some cold beers, a little laundry, and a big greasy pizza we relaxed in comfort. Life is good.
No shame in being warm, dry, clean, and full.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 07:34 PM
Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #1320
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 389
I've been waiting patiently for the rest of this ...

Seriously though... Glad your back. Really enjoying the rest of the story.

jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote