ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Would you buy a 370 lbs wet, 80-90 HP, 700-800cc twin, priced between 690 and 990?
Tomorrow, bring it on! 428 88.07%
Too small, prefer the exisiting 990 and upcoming 1190. 26 5.35%
Too big, prefer a single. 26 5.35%
Not interested in a KTM. 6 1.23%
Voters: 486. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,380
Can KTM build a significantly lighter 700-800cc twin? Is there a market for it?

Lot's of discussion about this topic in the 1190 thread already, so in order not to derail it any more I'm starting a new thread.

Many of the "old school" 950/990 owners are claiming that this would be a useless exercise as you would just give up a lot of horsepower for only a couple of lbs of weight loss.

Well, I don't agree.

The weight difference between a 690 and a 990 (non ABS!) is around 140 lbs, with the engines accounting for around 40 lbs of that. Considering the smaller displacement and that manufacturing technologies have improved, a die cast 700-800cc twin engine should be at least 10 lbs lighter than the 990, probably more.

So you've got around 110 lbs difference after the engine, you don't think you can beef up a 690 chassis enough to deal with 80-90 horses and add a fairing and be left over with a significant portion of that? The 450RR rear tank that bolts to the 690 chassis is available already and weighs maybe 1 lb more, and with it's 18 liters of fuel will give you better range than a 990 has.

And don't forget that the 690 already has 48mm forks, 21"/18" wheels with Dirt Star rims, the same brakes as the 950SE and that the 690 rally replicas and even the factory LC4 rally bikes (some sporting a >80HP 730cc engine) run through the desert at up to 200 km/h for two weeks during the Dakar using that same trellis frame and I have never heard of anybody having problems, have you?

I think with some modern and creative engineering a 80-90 HP 700-800cc twin with 360-380lbs (wet no fuel) is a realistic goal, and I'd buy one tomorrow.


What do you guys think?
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!
 
Flanny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
Oddometer: 2,743
KTM won't build it, but it can still be built...





Interested to hear people's thoughts...


Flanny screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 03:55 PM
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Annapolis Maryland
Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Lot's of discussion about this topic in the 1190 thread already, so in order not to derail it any more I'm starting a new thread.

Many of the "old school" 950/990 owners are claiming that this would be a useless exercise as you would just give up a lot of horsepower for only a couple of lbs of weight loss.

Well, I don't agree.

The weight difference between a 690 and a 990 (non ABS!) is around 140 lbs, with the engines accounting for around 40 lbs of that. Considering the smaller displacement and that manufacturing technologies have improved, a die cast 700-800cc twin engine should be at least 10 lbs lighter than the 990, probably more.

So you've got around 110 lbs difference after the engine, you don't think you can beef up a 690 chassis enough to deal with 80-90 horses and add a fairing and be left over with a significant portion of that? The 450RR rear tank that bolts to the 690 chassis is available already and weighs maybe 1 lb more, and with it's 18 liters of fuel will give you better range than a 990 has.

And don't forget that the 690 already has 48mm forks, 21"/18" wheels with Dirt Star rims, the same brakes as the 950SE and that the 690 rally replicas and even the factory LC4 rally bikes (some sporting a >80HP 730cc engine) run through the desert at up to 200 km/h for two weeks during the Dakar using that same trellis frame and I have never heard of anybody having problems, have you?

I think with some modern and creative engineering a 80-90 HP 700-800cc twin with 360-380lbs (wet no fuel) is a realistic goal, and I'd buy one tomorrow.


What do you guys think?
the 690E has no sub frame, no provision for a luggage rack, not designed for 2 up and single front disc, no nav tower or wind protection.

All of those thing add weight and all of those things are things the market would want to make it compete with the other 800cc bikes... If you design it as a narrowly focused dirt adventure tourer and except people to travel lightly and are willing to trade ruggedness for weight I think it could be done and use more composite and TI construction it could be done.



If the 9x0 is so heavy where's the weight savings to be had? Short of a major cost increase to more exotic materials and AL frames
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
roundtripping
Adventourist
 
roundtripping's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 1,702
Don't know about feasibility, but I can tell you I'd buy one tomorrow as well.
__________________
12 F658GS
13 Honda CRF250L


My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 208
Agreed with LukasM. We are looking at something right in between te 950SE and the 690.

Take the 690 as a starting point, give it a modern light 790cc V-twin engine with lets say 90hp. Improve/reinforce the 690 frame where needed (my guess is not much reinforcement will be needed). Single exhaust muffler. Subframe rear tank. Make more bike versions from this platform (however all R-verions):
- Enduro: small tank, minimalistic instruments
- Adventure: medium tank, improved instruments, improved passenger comfort, dual front brake discs
- Rally: large tank, improved instruments
- Supermoto: small tank, minimalistic instruments
- Touring: medium tank, improved instruments, improved passenger comfort, dual front brake discs
- Duke:...
- RC:...

Voila, KTM could build 7 motorcycles out of the engineering effort for 1 good lightweight modular platform. Maximized interchangeability of components and differentiation with a minimum varieties of components:
- 3 types of fuel tank: small, medium, large
- 2 types of instrument panels
-...

Yes this could certainly be done with a significant weight reduction compared to the current corresponding LC8 motorcycles.
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!
 
Yellow Pig's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Kalifornia
Oddometer: 7,220
I'd be all in for a lighter 750 cc parallel twin offroad worthy adv bike from KTM.

Bring it on..........
__________________
So Many Idiots, So Few Comets!!!!!!!!!
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,709
Let's start with the SE and see what we can do to make it lighter without reducing comfort.

1) Loose 10lbs from creative subframe/fuel tank combination?
2) Loose another 10lbs from simplifying the exhaust with a 2-1
3) Loose another 10lb from engine weight
4) Another 5lbs from redesigned frame+swingarm
5) Add 5lbs for some sort of simple rally fairing ala raiddesigns

So, (maybe I am gallant with the lbs) it seems that a 185 kgs 700/800 twin is possible, fully fueled and with lower CG than the SE.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Annapolis Maryland
Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I'd be all in for a lighter 750 cc parallel twin offroad worthy adv bike from KTM.

Bring it on..........
Why would you want the extra width of a parrell twin? Although the possibility of simplified exhaust routing is interesting.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 5,020
I'm IN, for a V-twin!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Let's start with the SE and see what we can do to make it lighter without reducing comfort.

1) Loose 10lbs from creative subframe/fuel tank combination?
2) Loose another 10lbs from simplifying the exhaust with a 2-1
3) Loose another 10lb from engine weight
4) Another 5lbs from redesigned frame+swingarm
5) Add 5lbs for some sort of simple rally fairing ala raiddesigns

So, (maybe I am gallant with the lbs) it seems that a 185 kgs 700/800 twin is possible, fully fueled and with lower CG than the SE.
That's a good list.

I would also prefer a semi-dry sump engine to avoid the extra complexities during oil changes and the weight of an external tank etc.

For braking power I think the stock Brembo caliper with a single 320mm disc should be fine for most people, it will be better than the 950 SE and the F650GS twin with less weight and better clamping power. The limiting factor is the mostly the tire after all, this is why the single disc F650GS outbrakes the twin disc F800GS, both have the same Brembo calipers as 950/990. And if you really want to put on a sticky 19" or 17" tire then just upgrade to a Motomaster caliper and you will have all the braking power you could need, without the extra weight.
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Annapolis Maryland
Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
That's a good list.

I would also prefer a semi-dry sump engine to avoid the extra complexities during oil changes and the weight of an external tank etc.

For braking power I think the stock Brembo caliper with a single 320mm disc should be fine for most people, it will be better than the 950 SE and the F650GS twin with less weight and better clamping power. The limiting factor is the mostly the tire after all, this is why the single disc F650GS outbrakes the twin disc F800GS, both have the same Brembo calipers as 950/990. And if you really want to put on a sticky 19" or 17" tire then just upgrade to a Motomaster caliper and you will have all the braking power you could need, without the extra weight.
If you want a really small light motor with great ground clearance where is the sump going to be? And how much oil is it going to hold? I'd rather not have a 1qt motor like an RFS for a adv bike... Nor would I want to worry about if the motor is running low on oil loosing oil pressure.

The 320mm disc is allot more likely to be damaged. The rotor is weaker side to side and lower making it more likely to get it by a rock or catch the ground in a crash... With a dual disc setup you also have redundancy in the system in the event you damage one rotor you can covert it to a single disc.

Not to mention it's not just about brake power, but about thermal efficiency over repeated stops...

crofrog screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 01:53 PM
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Ill, But I tell people NW IN.
Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schannulleke View Post
Agreed with LukasM. We are looking at something right in between te 950SE and the 690.

Take the 690 as a starting point, give it a modern light 790cc V-twin engine with lets say 90hp. Improve/reinforce the 690 frame where needed (my guess is not much reinforcement will be needed). Single exhaust muffler. Subframe rear tank. Make more bike versions from this platform (however all R-verions):
- Enduro: small tank, minimalistic instruments
- Adventure: medium tank, improved instruments, improved passenger comfort, dual front brake discs
- Rally: large tank, improved instruments
- Supermoto: small tank, minimalistic instruments
- Touring: medium tank, improved instruments, improved passenger comfort, dual front brake discs
- Duke:...
- RC:...

Voila, KTM could build 7 motorcycles out of the engineering effort for 1 good lightweight modular platform. Maximized interchangeability of components and differentiation with a minimum varieties of components:
- 3 types of fuel tank: small, medium, large
- 2 types of instrument panels
-...

Yes this could certainly be done with a significant weight reduction compared to the current corresponding LC8 motorcycles.
I think you missed one.

Easy to lower for a short person or a chick bike. How many guys would buy this for their wife? A REAL off road/adventure bike.
__________________

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
killurtv
free range moron
 
killurtv's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: central oregon
Oddometer: 640
I am in!! 800 twin, 150 pounds lighter, adventure ready, 70-80hp.
__________________
one day I will learn, until that day... fuck it.
2001 HONDA XR650R
killurtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Annapolis Maryland
Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
I think you missed one.

Easy to lower for a short person or a chick bike. How many guys would buy this for their wife? A REAL off road/adventure bike.
haha, and suddenly we see why all the bikes brought to the market are such compromises.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
Wet sumps give up lubrication reliability in extreme conditions.

The 320mm disc is allot more likely to be damaged. The rotor is weaker side to side and lower making it more likely to get it by a rock or catch the ground in a crash... With a dual disc setup you also have redundancy in the system in the event you damage one rotor you can covert it to a single disc.

Not to mention it's not just about brake power, but about thermal efficiency over repeated stops...
Have you actually tried a single disc setup or is this all theoretical?

I can (and do) live with the additional risk that a 0.4" lower rotor brings, not an issue in real life IME.

I don't think I have ever read of a single person unbolting their second disc because it was damaged but you are free to carry a spare if you feel that's necessary, it will still weigh less since there is no second caliper.

With a 21" wheel and a TKC type tire even repeated stops are not going to overheat a single disc. And again, if you want to use it primarily on tarmac - presumable with a stickier tire - then the Motomaster caliper is very simple upgrade. Those hold up even on the race track in the heavier and more powerful 990 as some other inmates have tested.
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014