User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #346
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,372
Wicked Stoner Wins At Philip Island

Just letting u know that Casey has won the last 6 MotoGps at the Island . Larenzo wins Championship. Sounds like yr having fun there , keep the pics and stories coming . Im buzy packing up here to shift in 2 weeks . Cheers Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #347
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post

Our first issue is the possibility/probability that we will have to run over our VISA with my bike being in surgery so EVERYTHING we didn't won't.!!!!

Have written to Homeland Security Immigration so waiting to hear back from them, all geting a bit tight but it will fall into place I am sure.

Several years ago I stayed a few days longer as supposed according to my visa : I had no problems at all leaving the US or coming back in again on later opportunities. Just make sure that you get your exit stamp when you leave .
This was before 9/11 , don't know if something changed since then
Old 10-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #348
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,505
Talking Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying kiwi View Post
Hey you two, what an epic trip. I have been following you since day one, but not from here, so thought I'd better jump on ADR 'cos I'm a member, although just a lurker for now. Glad the frog man from BC is keeping an eye on you too.
R
Most excellent bro, great talking with you the other day, we found some more cuzzies of BC yesterday and got some photos .... I think he has a secret service of stalkerfrogs watching us
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #349
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2 View Post
Just letting u know that Casey has won the last 6 MotoGps at the Island . Larenzo wins Championship. Sounds like yr having fun there , keep the pics and stories coming . Im buzy packing up here to shift in 2 weeks . Cheers Toddy
JL is # 1, it was a no brainer that Stona would clear out, was gutted to see Pedrosa go down but stoked that JL took the title as my main man for the year, rang Doon afta the race and gave him shit as ya do

Will update another part of the waiting game today, emailed immigration and we got a see through wish washy can't help kinda email ... wow thanks for your support!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #350
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Several years ago I stayed a few days longer as supposed according to my visa : I had no problems at all leaving the US or coming back in again on later opportunities. Just make sure that you get your exit stamp when you leave .
This was before 9/11 , don't know if something changed since then
Yeah we don't have any info similar to your post 9/11 so if anyone does know please chime in.

We still want to come back to the US to see what we missed from being off the road for 6 weeks out of our 6 months.

But if we get greif we won't bother and we will spend our money elsewhere, it would be nice if the immigration could cut us some slack for something that is not our fault and unforeseen.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #351
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
Hey you two, what an epic trip. I have been following you since day one, but not from here, so thought I'd better jump on ADR 'cos I'm a member, although just a lurker for now. Glad the frog man from BC is keeping an eye on you too.
R
Heya Noob! Inspirational ain't it ???

Yeah "time".....you know!

If ,and only if, Andi has a little bit of that, I'll take them Cushman/Indian/junk pics.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #352
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post

If ,and only if, Andi has a little bit of that, I'll take them Cushman/Indian/junk pics.
Count us in!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #353
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennif View Post
Andi and Ellen
With respect, this person's experience does not match ours. We didn't stop in Ensenada and had to pay double the fee at La Paz to get the required docs. My advice is to definitely stop in Ensenada and complete the formalities.
It was an unnecessarily stressful experience because Aduanain La Paz told us we would have to go all the way back to Ensenada.
Your call. We wrote about it on our blog.

Regards,
Ken and Shirley.
Quote:
Heya Jim, yeap been following Dick and Ken (above), we are going to head into mainland Mexico so will do everything right at the border, certainly listening to those who have just done it and avoiding any more issues.

Our first issue is the possibility/probability that we will have to run over our VISA with my bike being in surgery so EVERYTHING we didn't won't.!!!!

Have written to Homeland Security Immigration so waiting to hear back from them, all geting a bit tight but it will fall into place I am sure.

Looking, learning, listening all helps from every bit of info and experience.

We are alive and well so that counts 100% at this point
A bit of mis-information here regards Mexican Visa/TVIP policy.
Kiwi's! Good you wrote ICE/Homeland. Hopefully they have a record of your request and will cut you slack ... AS THEY SHOULD. You have receipts of work done on bikes, right? Show them, or have them CALL the dealership to verify. I hope they do you right. Good luck!

Regards Mexican Visas and TVIP (temporary vehicle import permit).
You've got it right! Do it ALL at the border ... whatever border.
You both will need a Mexican Tourist Visa ... now up to about $20 each, good for six months. Make sure they make it for six months, some Migracion agents may try to short you on time. Don't allow it. Insurance is NOT required, but its a good idea. On line, purchased before trip is cheapest/best.

Your Tourist Visa's should be acquired at the border. Any border. The TVIP for the bikes is not needed for any of Baja California ... but the Tourist Visa IS required for you two.

The locations for getting your TVIP varies depending on which border crossing you decide to cross. Some are 5 to 10 miles from actual border, some, like Tijuana, are right near by.

Ask at Migracion location of "Banjercito" (Army bank). If you go down Baja
(the only way to go really) then you can also get your TVIP at the Ferry Terminal in La Paz, Baja.

DON'T SHOW UP THERE WITHOUT ALREADY HAVING YOUR TOURIST VISA ... if you do ... they will NICK YOU for a fine.
You've been warned!

Most border posts keep the Banjercito/Aduana office separate from Migracion office. They issue the TVIP permits. This is true in Tijuana and Nogales, and other crossings as well. ASK someone who speaks English.
OR ... "Permiso por Moto? Donde'?"
SAY: "PEAR-ME-SO POOR MOW-TOW"

The permiso for your Moto's (TVIP), is now up to about $35 usd each, and they require a credit card deposit and charge about $400 usd to your card. This is refunded when you exit Mexico. The system works, I've done it 3 times without issue. A $400 Credit showed up on my CC bill within a day of crossing border. When exiting, make sure the agent takes Photos of your VIN number and files it on computer. If you fail to exit properly, you lose your $400.

This last bit has changed from previous years. Used to be they'd take your CC card info as a deposit but not ever charge your card. Now, they charge it ON THE SPOT. So, if your bill is due, you'll have to pay the bill if your still in Mexico. Make sense?

In terms of danger ... I would not worry too much. The Army have temporary control of the roads during daytime. I would travel from the border early in the morning, be done riding by 4pm if you can. The area around Culiacan on Mex. 15 is one of the Drug gangs hot spots.

But overall, Baja is safer than Northern Mexico over on the mainland. Baja is also more mellow, much less traffic, it's more beautiful and more fun than Northern Mainland Mexico in general. I've done it both ways numerous times since 1964 ... and when in Baja, never listen to the old X Pat Gringo drunks who will warn you off going over to the Mainland. Most haven't been there in 20 years. Lots of retired Americans living in Baja ... who (after a few drinks) think they know everything.

I would take the Ferry from La Paz, Baja over to Topolobambo, not to Mazatlan. It's cheaper, only 5 hours vs. 14 hours, comfortable and Topo is near Copper Canyon ... another must see destination.

I know a great paved road approach route to Copper Canyon from Topolobambo if you need it. A great route!
Good luck!

PS:
You most definitely need to stop and get stamped out of USA ... otherwise you just roll on through the border ... next thing you know you're in Mexico!
So STOP before the border, park and walk to US Immigration on the US SIDE ... and go in and get stamped out! Then, back to bikes, ride into Mexico. Going South, its a NO STOP border at most crossings. BEST!!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 04:24 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #354
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Great info thanks Adv Grifter

We are border crossing nOObs so appreciate your input.

We are planning to enter Mexico at Yuma so hopefully will be user friendly, do you have any info on this station?, we will do everything methodically and logically with the good advice.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #355
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Great info thanks Adv Grifter
We are border crossing nOObs so appreciate your input.
We are planning to enter Mexico at Yuma so hopefully will be user friendly, do you have any info on this station?, we will do everything methodically and logically with the good advice.
I have not crossed at Yuma, but near there, at Lukeville, a bit to the Southeast from Yuma. IIRC, from Lukeville you must go down the highway to Sonoyta to find Migracion and Aduana/Banjercito offices and get your permits.

Not sure what the story is at Yuma or where you cross specifically. Check your maps and guidebooks to confirm. This crossing is no big deal at all. The Mexicans are welcoming and friendly. A smile and a "?como estas?" goes a long way to making it easy.

The more Spanish you can learn, the better. Once beyond the border region not much English spoken. Now your adventure really begins. Hope you can handle it.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #356
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Heya Jim, yeap been following Dick and Ken (above),
Oh I really enjoy making a fool of myself. No,,,,,,really I do!!!!

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #357
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I have not crossed at Yuma, but near there, at Lukeville, a bit to the Southeast from Yuma. IIRC, from Lukeville you must go down the highway to Sonoyta to find Migracion and Aduana/Banjercito offices and get your permits.

Not sure what the story is at Yuma or where you cross specifically. Check your maps and guidebooks to confirm. This crossing is no big deal at all. The Mexicans are welcoming and friendly. A smile and a "?como estas?" goes a long way to making it easy.

The more Spanish you can learn, the better. Once beyond the border region not much English spoken. Now your adventure really begins. Hope you can handle it.
Yeah we are good to go, plan is to stop in Guate for a month and get spanish sorted to a better level, we have the basics including a good so will wing it from there.

We have traveled 3rd world before so we both feel pretty comfy, it will work out as it always does.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #358
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,647
Best (and safest) place to cross the border is Lukeville, south of Gila Bend, which is on I-8 about halfway between I-10 and Yuma. There is currently an ongoing war between the Mexican drug dealers and the U.S. Border Patrol. Several people have been shot recently. Mexico in general is not as safe as it used to be, but the border is really bad. If you cross at Lukeville, you can blend in with the tourists going to Puerto Penasco.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #359
flying kiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post

Yes H, I am starting to get my head around a North America ride. All this awesome stuff from the TMK's is getting the juices flowing for a roadie. Is that GS of yours still available? Buddy? Mate?
I am thinking about summer 2014...
2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 116,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
flying kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #360
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
Yes H, I am starting to get my head around a North America ride. All this awesome stuff from the TMK's is getting the juices flowing for a roadie. Is that GS of yours still available? Buddy? Mate?
I am thinking about summer 2014...
Yippee...will be retired by then, lots of time....!

The GS is in little pieces, nothing good there in that engine. Not worth fixing unless you send me a few thousands of them good NZ dollars.About 3-4,000 worth in CA $$$.Baah....bring me some Ice Cream or Lumps instead. I should Fleabay the parts and buy a big thumper. Following Andi and the DRs not too sure anymore about Suzukis.

I think me or Ken could find you something acceptable....and reliable! Not sure about insuring in BC/Canada as a non-citizen, was going to look into that eventually.....need more time!

See you later on the Pin thread, you know I had to follow your instructions with pics, sort of....!

Andi....need more pics before some of us head out to work in the recent earthquake zone. No pressure, got a few days I think before I loose my good connection, then I'll take time to fill up the noob with "text",been a long time, will/should have more time.....!