Moto_JJ OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Seat Review: Seat Concepts for F800GS

Hi all,

First the stats for this review:
Bike: 2009 BMW F800GS
Rider: 5’8” 205 lbs; 30” inseam
Seat: Seat Concepts Custom Seat. Finish: vinyl. Estimated price: $150 (cash)
Purchase/Install date: July 2012
Available at: http://www.seatconcepts.com/products#ecwid:category=1671353&mode=product&product=7268050

Hi all, I wanted to write this review after I had put some miles into the seat. So far, after 2,000 miles, I’m very happy with it. I would estimate it 5x more comfortable than the stock seat.

I’m lucky enough to be able to go down to the Seat Concepts shop in San Jacinto, CA, and watch them convert this seat. The guys down there are very accommodating, meeting me on a Saturday when I was in the area. I figured I’d use my geographic advantage to share photos of the process and compare the foam side-by-side.

The whole process took about an hour. One thing I really liked is that they use the original seat pan. (I can’t imagine keeping that original foam for anything beyond target practice.) After pulling the old foam off, they inserted their pre-made foam onto the pan – it fit perfectly. The first two things I noticed was that the seat was wider where my sitbones hit it, and that there was a step for the passenger.

As a rider with a shorter inseam (I'm part of the 30” inseam club), I was happy that their seat is lower by about ¾” after install. This was just enough to let me go from tippy toes, to balls of my foot when I stop. (My prior bike was a Triumph Speed Triple which was even higher, so I'm stoked right now.) After taking off those ugly rubber peg inserts, the fit is perfect. FYI - Seat Concepts also has a tall option for this seat.

In the photos, the new foam is the whiter one.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...u/43e439a2.jpg

At this point in the process, you have two options on the covering. You can choose the vinyl finish, or the suede. Since I can’t guarantee that I’ll be riding in dry weather all the time, I chose vinyl. So far, so good. They finished the covering with ease and with quick instruction to bake it in the sun to let the vinyl form to the foam, I was on my way. Really, couldn't have been easier.

Here's the look once it's done:

Since the install I’ve taken the bike up to Red Bull US Grand Prix in Monterey, as well as a several rides in SoCal, and the Central Coast. The seat has held up, looks great and rides nice two-up.

I was trying to think of some negatives, but at this point, there aren’t any. The price is right. They use the original pan, so it fits perfect and I don't have an extra seat sitting around. The seat was lowered a bit. It was quality research and craftsmanship in the foam. All I can say is "well done Seat Concepts team."

They also offer the option of adding a 2" swath of memory foam down the middle for those that need it. I didn't opt for this because I wanted to try it without first, and figured I could opt for this later, if ever needed.

Hope this review helps others out there searching for seat options. I'll continue to update this if anything new comes up.

Moto_JJ screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 09:53 PM Reason: Missing photo.
Moto_JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,870
Generally I like what Seat Concepts does (admittedly with no experience to this point).
But... The step in the seat makes for a movement restriction on a long day.
I got away from the step with a Sargent enduro seat.

Just say no to the step in a 650/800 saddle.

I am glad the seat is working for you, and for two up the passenger area is probably better than the Sargent.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
Moto_JJ OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I gave it a while before I replied, just so I could get more miles in and test it. So far, I haven't had any problem with the step. It's a softer foam at that part and my butt slides right over it. Still very, very happy with this seat.

"I have a lot of great ideas. Problem is, most of them suck." - George Carlin
Moto_JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
Hayate
ADV Monkey

Oddometer: 58
I don't see that they offer suede as you stated in your review. The website shows carbon or embossed vinyl as the two options you can order for the 800gs. Online price $169 plus $20 if you want them to install it. I'm going to do some more searching and reading before this cheaper choice becomes a possibility over the XPC that I have had my eye.
Minnesota Parallel "Twin" Cities GS Riders
Daniel Betlock Adventure Rider
Hayate is offline   Reply With Quote