Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #16
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I'm still waiting to get time off work to go and buy an exhaust nut wrench,,,,.
PM sent.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
Carl

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I'm not really into splitting hairs here, but since you seem to want to, I said there are "remarkably few." I did not say there are "a few." Also, I'd love to know where "a few" is defined as "less than four." If a few is defined as less than four lets see here: 3: sure that could pass for a few, 2: no that's "a couple", 1: well that's just one. So, really you're saying "a few" means 3. If you have something to add about valves, feel free to add it, if you just want to mince words, then save it.

Also, I wasn't just referring to airhead valves, I was referring to ALL valves. There are not that many companies in the world that make valves, let alone companies IN EUROPE that make valves. Yes, Carl, more than 4, so not "a few" I guess, but fewER than most people would think. Yes, you can find many many brands of valves for sale on the internet, but when it comes down to it, a LOT of those brands are made in the same few factories.
Maybe YOU should just save it...

When you reference ALL valves, and not just BMW airheads, the quanity of manufacturers becomes relatively large in number. Based on being in this field and dealing directly w/ the manufacturers I find the suppliers for the 'many many' brands of valves do not originate from the same few factoiries. Few is a word that is relative to quantity. You're posts on this subject are misleading.

Also, who knows what peple (whomever are the people) are thinking on this subject? Maybe people (whomever are the people) don't care form where the valves originate?

Carl

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #18
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I'm not sure I read what you mean to say or you say what you mean? You have the rockers off? And now are going to take the stuck exhaust nuts off? The nuts holding the rockers on are also holding the heads on the cylinders and the cylinders on the block. If you try to take the exhaust nuts off with those nuts off it is very likely you are going to break something. Put the rocker nuts on before you loosen the exhaust nuts. Torque to 25 ft/lbs.

Maybe I miss read what you said?

Sorry for the confusion. The right side exhaust nut came off easy with my Norton exhaust nut wrench. So I pulled the right head. The left exhaust nut is not moving, so have yet to pull anything there. Picked up the bmw wrench, now everything will be off tomorrow. That is unless it's sunny, then the Norton's out for the afternoon.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #19
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,426
Pulled the right head and barrel off tonite. Funny to note that there was no barrel to block o-ring installed.
Found everything to be very clean. There is a slightly higher carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. Cleaned all mating surfaces with acetone. Will take the head to the machinist to see what he says about th0e valves and guides.
Checked with my airhead guy, he uses Intervalve valves and guides exclusively for over 20 yrs, not one failure. And 1/2 the price of U.S. sources oem valves.
Shopped around for a decent valve spring compressor that will work on the airhead head, and Norton head. Not much out there on Sunday.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote