Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #631
Kurlee
2009: A Bike Odyssey

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanseagal View Post
Has anyone actually crashed in one of these? I like the look and functionality of this helmet, but I'm wondering about the safety. Any comments on safety issues?
I got hit by a car recently wearing an FX-39. The way I landed, it took a large impact with no sliding to the back of the helmet, and worked flawlessly. I fractured a vertebrae in my lower back but suffered no injuries at all to my head. I bought the Fly racing version after the accident and for some reason I hate it. I loved the FX-39 for the ratcheting chin strap so I think I'll buy another in the next few days.
Kurlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #632
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlee View Post
I got hit by a car recently wearing an FX-39. The way I landed, it took a large impact with no sliding to the back of the helmet, and worked flawlessly. I fractured a vertebrae in my lower back but suffered no injuries at all to my head. I bought the Fly racing version after the accident and for some reason I hate it. I loved the FX-39 for the ratcheting chin strap so I think I'll buy another in the next few days.
+1

this helmet was my first experience with the ratchet. pure love. on the fly adjustments are faster than grabbing a camelbak sip.

the smoke shield is nice for bright days. just barely enough to knock down the bright sunlight.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 AM   #633
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Oddometer: 10,357
Hey Brian, is there a pin lock shield for these?
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #634
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Hey Brian, is there a pin lock shield for these?
No, unfortunately not, and no plans for it.

Also, regarding the sun visors: the owner of AFX is a straight shooter (rare thing these days) and explained the situation. The US distributor (AFX is Canadian) decides what to order. They are reluctant to order a large sized batch, sales figures indicate low sales (which is true....because they are not available...) This distributor is ginormous, and not exactly tuned in to customer demand. The factory is running at near 100% capacity, especially the mold machine. They are reluctant to switch up the machine unless the order quantity is sufficient. So....they are not forthcoming any time soon.

Because of the logic-absent nature of this situation, I fully expect them to randomly pop up as available at some unforeseen time, without warning, I will watch for that.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #635
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
+1

this helmet was my first experience with the ratchet. pure love. on the fly adjustments are faster than grabbing a camelbak sip.

the smoke shield is nice for bright days. just barely enough to knock down the bright sunlight.
Best thing is, it can be closed with gloves on.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #636
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Is there a trick to getting the black plastic rotating parts off the shield?

I took my helmet apart yesterday to clean it and cant figure out how to get those off.

Also, has anyone come up with a trick to "cracking" the shield?
Closed it fogs like a bastard, in the 1/2 way setting I get TONS of sand in my face.

I was toying with taking a dremel to the shield and add another detent....but of course I cant get it apart.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #637
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Best thing is, it can be closed with gloves on.

BP
+1 for me this is the best feature. I have a habit of putting my gloves on before I secure my helmet---no longer a problem.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #638
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,110
I was not aware they had a ratchet chin strap. I looked at an MSR which is pretty close but the ratchet strap will make me get an AFX. I've worn a Nolan street helmet for years, great helmet but the chin strap has me spoiled.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #639
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post

I took my helmet apart yesterday to clean it and cant figure out how to get those off.

Closed it fogs like a bastard, in the 1/2 way setting I get TONS of sand in my face.

I was toying with taking a dremel to the shield and add another detent....but of course I cant get it apart.
Yes, the attachement SUCKS, and requires pushing hard and turning the putter ring until the two interior knobs reach a keyway and POP out it comes.

I used a kitchen knife, and almost broke it. This is the only negative I've found so far.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #640
vanseagal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Does the visor fog easily? Here in Finland we have three months of summer and the rest is pretty damp and cold weather. I currently have a pinlock fitted helmet and it is great. Is there a chance of fitting an universal pinlock kit?

thanks.
vanseagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:20 AM   #641
vanseagal
Adventurer

More questions. My head is round 57, 5 cm. So the Fly Trekker would be better fit for my head according the reviews I have read. The AFX provides 5 years of warranty for the FX-39. How long is the Fly Racing warranty for the Trekker?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #642
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post

ogre, sorry I missed this.

They are very difficult to disassemble, and even more fragile. I am working from memory, but I believe ohgood is correct in the method. For this reason the manufacturer started shipping the shields with the ratchet pieces attached starting about a year ago, so they do not have to be removed for shield changes.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 06:41 AM
Old 10-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #643
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Does the visor fog easily? Here in Finland we have three months of summer and the rest is pretty damp and cold weather. I currently have a pinlock fitted helmet and it is great. Is there a chance of fitting an universal pinlock kit?

thanks.
Hi vanseagal. That question is hard to answer quantitatively. IMO they do not fog noticeably more than anything else....but they do fog. Don't know about the pinlock setup, sorry.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 AM   #644
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
More questions. My head is round 57, 5 cm. So the Fly Trekker would be better fit for my head according the reviews I have read. The AFX provides 5 years of warranty for the FX-39. How long is the Fly Racing warranty for the Trekker?
The shape of the two helmets is the same, but the sizing is different. The interior (ABS liner) volume of the AFX is larger than typical, the Fly more consistent with industry norm.

I will try to explain this so it makes sense: Size L is statistically the most common size. Since the AFX runs large, a person who typically wears an L, needs an M. The outer shell mold size splits at M > L. XS, S, M use the small shell, L, XL, 2XL use the large mold.

In many cases, a person who typically wears an L, needs an M in the AFX. The interior volume is OK for this, but the "container" (outer shell) is smaller...occasionally too small. Chinbar too close, not enough vertical volume, etc.

We have found that this affects size M wearers mostly, and most of our size returns are that size. Not all Ms, mind you, but more than statistically normal. Less a problem with other size, S, L, etc.

It is good that the AFX has more graphics, the quick release, was first to market, etc. BUT....in cases where the wearer specs out to an AFX size M, we recommend the Fly L, and have much better success, and much fewer returns.

Some feel that the two helmets fit the same. We are respectful of everyone's opinions, but after dealing with these two helmets in some detail, I am very, very confident they fit large.

All that said, vanseagal....I do not know the warranty of the Fly...BUT....I would choose based on fit, maybe on other features, not on warranty. The AFX warranty is great, yet I would not wear ANY helmet that long. Frankly, I do not know what the liner would be like at that point anyway.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #645
vanseagal
Adventurer

Thanks for the info. I hope that the finnish vendors could be this helpful in our motorcycle forums.

So the shell size is bigger on both helmets from M to L. I'm leaning towards the size S AFX on this comparison. It might be a snug fit though.

Luckily we don't get AFX helmets in Europe so everybody wins. Atomic-moto is getting paid. Postage will go to post office and the finnish tax officers are getting the vat. Last but not least, I'm getting a great helmet for couple of euros.