Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #61
AFSOC_Commando
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Keep up the great report! Really enjoying it!
AFSOC_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #62
HeadShrinker
Lost for a Reason

Oddometer: 1,348
This is definitely a great one already. Thank you for posting!
HeadShrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #63
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,836
Enjoying the RR, thanks for sharing!

Days 4 and 5 sound like my typical day rides. Next time you're in the area, give a holler and we'll put together a scenic tour for you.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #64
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,510

More please
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #65
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Awesome!

Well, I just hope that when you get to be my age in another 90 yrs. or so, you'll be so grateful that you're taking this trip. Your brother just might have a lot to do with that too I suppose. I'm sure he's traveling with you in thought much of the way. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this R/R as you travel along. I'm looking forward to each mile of the way.

Good luck and stay safe.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #66
dirt between my toes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Nice rr

Loving it ! keep those two wheels rolling !! Looking forward to more
dirt between my toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #67
jkdwings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Loving your ride; your brother would indeed be proud. Your great writing style and adventurous spirit has me on the edge of my seat for more!
jkdwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #68
dinocarsfast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Great ride report so far and I cant wait for the rest
dinocarsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #69
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Epic adventure and a great tribute.

I'm definitely going to track your progress as inspiration.
aftCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #70
BrewMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post
Crossing the border was quick and easy. I was so excited when I got there. When I stopped at the booth I threw my hands up and yelled, “I can’t believe I’m here!” The officer kept a straight face probably thinking I was a stupid kid. All he said was “Take your helmet off.”

My hair was everywhere as if I had climbed out of tumbleweed. He asked me a few questions about why I was coming to Canada and how long I was going to be there. I told him I was just passing through on my way to Alaska and he just handed my passport back with a blank face and said, “Welcome to Canada.” Thanks eh!
This makes me laugh every time I cross over (2-3 times per year)--the Canadian officials always seem to be polite and relaxed. They don't seem to mind 20-somethings coming into the country just to vacation and have a good time, etc. The Border Patrol officers on the American side, however, make my life Hell every time. No matter how nice I am, no matter how cooperative, even when I'm freshly shaved with combed hair, wearing a smile, documents in hand, etc... I'm always subject to the most intensive searches and strange questioning. Ha ha. I can't seem to re-enter the country I was born and raised in without extreme suspicion from the powers that be.
BrewMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #71
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJRiggs View Post
This makes me laugh every time I cross over (2-3 times per year)--the Canadian officials always seem to be polite and relaxed. They don't seem to mind 20-somethings coming into the country just to vacation and have a good time, etc. The Border Patrol officers on the American side, however, make my life Hell every time. No matter how nice I am, no matter how cooperative, even when I'm freshly shaved with combed hair, wearing a smile, documents in hand, etc... I'm always subject to the most intensive searches and strange questioning. Ha ha. I can't seem to re-enter the country I was born and raised in without extreme suspicion from the powers that be.
It doesn't get any better.. I'm a 50 something, and last summer they kept me for 90 min at the border coming back down towards Duluth. Waited until it was dark before they had been through everything on the bike.. I think they checked my toothpaste!
Rant/Highjack over.. Please continue.. Fantastic RR
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #72
alzyck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJRiggs View Post
Not about being in your 20's. Late 50's and that's my experience also. Like MizzouRider said, it doesn't get any better with age. What's interesting is the Canadian riders I've talked with have said the opposite. U.S. Customs treated them politely, but Canadian Customs was rude when they returned to Canada.
alzyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #73
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
Enjoying your detailed report!! Thanks for taking us along!!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #74
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,105
Gee, Maybe I'm "special". I crossed into B.C. last year on my Yamaha that had melted the selinoid earlier that morning.I had to hold the hot cables together to work the starter, so when I got to the Border agent she sked me to shut it off. I explained that I'd rather not.
She asked a few questions over the sound of the motor the said I'd have to talk to another guy. Why ? , I asked. She said my plans were unusual.The other guy came over and I told him what I'd told her and asked if he knew any motorcycle shops nearby. He lightened up let me in and gave me directions to a shop. I'm in.
5 days later I rolled up to the border with the U.S. into Idaho. I kept the bike running this time as well , was asked to shut it off, explained I'd rather not and why. I was processed through quickly and warned about the deer in the road. Welcome home .
The difference was that both the Canadian and the U.S. agents I talked with were riders.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #75
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 379
Great report.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote