Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
tearapin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Would you buy it? 1977 R100rs?

I passed on the last airhead I was considering buying due to a leak after a 30 mile ride. When I say leak I mean river and the owner would not budge on the price. $500 repair.

Now I have the opportunity to purchase another. I am not giving up the search because I find I just enjoy riding the airheads. A buddy has an R90

This bike is a 1977 R100RS. Owner is asking $6.200. Mileage is 8600. It is in very good condition. I have ridden it and it does not leak. The tranny recall thing has me scared though. I will post all the details I have at the bottom of the page. In summary it can lock up and then I fear I would be like Superman flying through the air.

I would appreciate any advice on other potential problem areas and such with this particular first year model. I am good with a wrench but I think someone would have to show me how to lube splines the first time. That should give you an idea of where I am at wrench wise. Good enough to own an airhead?

As I would be paying a bit more for the bike that it is technically worth, I don't want to buy it and inherit a ton of high $ repairs down the road. I realize it is old and not bullet proof.

It seems one thing to do would be to check the diode board mounting studs. Not sure where that is yet though LOL.

Any opinions on what I may be getting into and if you would/would not purchase this bike are welcome.

Recall info follows...I am not sure if anything can be done to prevent this tranny fail or if I would just have to replace it and make an offer as such?

Thanks to all for all of your help on this board. When I do get that airhead I will try to return the favors.

1977 BMW R100RS POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION (Change Vehicle)

The following POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION recall/defect on 1977 BMW R100RS vehicles was reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety administration on 1976-10-14. For more information contact the National Highway Traffic Safety administration or the US Department of Transportation. See recall summary below.

Build Years/Makes/Models:
1977 BMW R757
1977 BMW R100RS
1977 BMW R100S
1977 BMW R1007
1977 BMW R60/7

UNits affected:
Recall Number:
76V164000
Summary:

Consequence:

Remedy:

Notes:
BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE CAMPAIGN NO N/A.MOTORCYCLES.POSSIBILITY THAT AHARDENING ERROR IN THE GEARS COULD RESULT IN BREAKAGE OF THE GEAR TEETH, WHICHCOULD CAUSE SEIZURE OF THE TRANSMISSION INTERNAL GEARS.IF THIS CONDITIONEXISTS IT COULD POSSIBLY RESULT IN VEHICLE CRASH WITH NO PRIOR WARNING.(CORRECT BY INSPECTING AND INSTALLING NEW TRANSMISSION WHERE NECESSARY).
tearapin is offline   Reply With Quote