ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Africa & Mid East
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #106
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer
 
DiscoDino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Lebanon/NYC
Oddometer: 1,815
Out this weekend...killing myself for not being able!
__________________
Adventurer transitioning from 4x4 to 2x1
'07 G650Xch - Under Mod-struction
DiscoDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #107
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!
 
Vicks's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
Go light on the gear you carry on that road.
Hotta cave is worth a look if you have the time
and the road to Yasab is great too
HAVE FUN
Not sure if we'll have time for the caves although i know they are good and will be visiting later some time. This time its just ride, ride and ride

Will check out the road to Yasab.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mother77 View Post
Sorry to butt in to the thread. Sounds like you are doing Wadi Bani Awf. Excellent fun. I have only done it in a 4x4 myself, but just potentially watch out for lots of traffic this weekend. There are a couple of serviced campgrounds on top of Jebel Shams if you are looking for somewhere cool to rest you heads. Also a nice rock ledge looking over the gorge if you like a firm bed, and don't sleep walk.
Two things have made me take notice and post after a too long absence from both the forum and bikes. One is that there looks like there are a couple of Adv riders in Muscat. I saw a KTM950/990 down on Qurum corniche a few weeks ago. First i've seen in the country in 2 years. Was that any of you guys?
Second, I've seen ride report photos and heard rumors that show there is at least one HP2 in the UAE. Does any one know if there is one for sale , or if there are any KTM 950SE about? As has already been pointed out there are not a lot of bikes about here in Oman. Let alone dream rides.
Sorry. Back to your thread. Let me know if there is a more appropriate place to post these queries, or if you have a GCC riders group. Now my account's active again i'll have a look at the other threads too.

Cheers
Mike
(bikeless at the mo )
thanks for your input mike. Always welcome to butt in and visit us if you are ever in the vicinity.

I've never ridden to Muscat on my bike so it wasn't me.

There is defn. a lack of big adv bikes out here because most ppl ride cruisers and the minority who ride off-road stick to the lighter dirt bikes. I've only seen one 950SE and HP2 here in UAE till date. The HP2 was at the BMW dealer and the 950SE parked on the sidewalk in from of Marina mall


Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
Out this weekend...killing myself for not being able!
I'll make sure to post a lot of pics mate, so you can enjoy the ride from the comfort of your couch
__________________
'07 KTM Adv990S - Gone to a good home
'10 KTM 530Exc-Rally, some items for sale
No myriad hues of laser lights, no bottles that are oozing with nectars from heaven
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #108
sound_guy
Let's go!
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Dubai
Oddometer: 9
Have you met any of the BMW riders group yet? (Open to all bikes)
PM and I'll send you the contact details.

Trev
__________________
Perhaps the only DRZ 400E/S in Dubai?
sound_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #109
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!
 
Vicks's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_guy View Post
Have you met any of the BMW riders group yet? (Open to all bikes)
PM and I'll send you the contact details.

Trev
Nope, haven't met any other riders except for Jan here in AbuDhabi.
__________________
'07 KTM Adv990S - Gone to a good home
'10 KTM 530Exc-Rally, some items for sale
No myriad hues of laser lights, no bottles that are oozing with nectars from heaven
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #110
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!
 
Vicks's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Oddometer: 2,962
few pics from our ride ro Jebel Shams last weekend (Eid).





















__________________
'07 KTM Adv990S - Gone to a good home
'10 KTM 530Exc-Rally, some items for sale
No myriad hues of laser lights, no bottles that are oozing with nectars from heaven
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #111
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer
 
DiscoDino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Lebanon/NYC
Oddometer: 1,815
Perfect steeds for these roads! More pictures as I live vicariously through your trip
__________________
Adventurer transitioning from 4x4 to 2x1
'07 G650Xch - Under Mod-struction
DiscoDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #112
ghw
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother77 View Post
Sorry to butt in to the thread. Sounds like you are doing Wadi Bani Awf. Excellent fun. I have only done it in a 4x4 myself, but just potentially watch out for lots of traffic this weekend. There are a couple of serviced campgrounds on top of Jebel Shams if you are looking for somewhere cool to rest you heads. Also a nice rock ledge looking over the gorge if you like a firm bed, and don't sleep walk.
Two things have made me take notice and post after a too long absence from both the forum and bikes. One is that there looks like there are a couple of Adv riders in Muscat. I saw a KTM950/990 down on Qurum corniche a few weeks ago. First i've seen in the country in 2 years. Was that any of you guys?
Second, I've seen ride report photos and heard rumors that show there is at least one HP2 in the UAE. Does any one know if there is one for sale , or if there are any KTM 950SE about? As has already been pointed out there are not a lot of bikes about here in Oman. Let alone dream rides.
Sorry. Back to your thread. Let me know if there is a more appropriate place to post these queries, or if you have a GCC riders group. Now my account's active again i'll have a look at the other threads too.

Cheers
Mike
(bikeless at the mo )
Hi Mike,

there are 3 HP's in our group, but for sure none of them for sale. 950's are already rare. there's 1 for sale at KTM Dubai. sititng idle for quite some time. the options would be tter for a 990. check out dubizzle. one guy of our grouo is leaving Dubai and posted his 990 for sale.
PM if you like more details.

cheers
ghw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #113
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!
 
Vicks's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghw View Post
Hi Mike,

there are 3 HP's in our group, but for sure none of them for sale. 950's are already rare. there's 1 for sale at KTM Dubai. sititng idle for quite some time. the options would be tter for a 990. check out dubizzle. one guy of our grouo is leaving Dubai and posted his 990 for sale.
PM if you like more details.

cheers
3 HP's ?? hmm... thats interesting. I need to visit Dubai more often to have a look at them...

where do you guys ride normally ?
__________________
'07 KTM Adv990S - Gone to a good home
'10 KTM 530Exc-Rally, some items for sale
No myriad hues of laser lights, no bottles that are oozing with nectars from heaven
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #114
Ride-hard
n00b
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: UAE
Oddometer: 4
Thanks for the Jebel Shams ride Pix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
thats exactly where we will be riding on day 2 !!
Hey Vicks - Thanks for the great pictures of the Jebel Shams ride. I think I'm too much of an off-road noob to have joined you - maybe when you head out for something a little less challenging. My bike is up at 2XWheeler getting a set of K60's. Looking forward to getting out soon.

Cheers!
Ride-hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #115
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!
 
Vicks's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-hard View Post
Hey Vicks - Thanks for the great pictures of the Jebel Shams ride. I think I'm too much of an off-road noob to have joined you - maybe when you head out for something a little less challenging. My bike is up at 2XWheeler getting a set of K60's. Looking forward to getting out soon.

Cheers!
Not at all !!! Due to battery concerns, we stuck to the graded dirt roads and didn't do any challenging stuff in remote areas (as we originally had planned to do) at all. So, this would have been a perfect ride for someone wanting to begin riding in the dirt.
__________________
'07 KTM Adv990S - Gone to a good home
'10 KTM 530Exc-Rally, some items for sale
No myriad hues of laser lights, no bottles that are oozing with nectars from heaven
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #116
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!
 
Vicks's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Oddometer: 2,962
couple more pics stolen from my mates pic album...











I had aleaking fuel petcock on the left tank (see damp spot on ground below sump guard) which had to be field repaired. The O-ring was worn out, so i added a strip of insulation tape on the groove and installed the O-ring over it which expanded it sufficiently to stop the leak.




break fast stop at a local restaurant... yummy
__________________
'07 KTM Adv990S - Gone to a good home
'10 KTM 530Exc-Rally, some items for sale
No myriad hues of laser lights, no bottles that are oozing with nectars from heaven
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #117
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer
 
DiscoDino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Lebanon/NYC
Oddometer: 1,815
Lovely!
__________________
Adventurer transitioning from 4x4 to 2x1
'07 G650Xch - Under Mod-struction
DiscoDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #118
sireesh
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 1
Looks like a brilliant trip!!
I'm in the process of changing tires to dual sport ones. I'll definitely join on your next adventure
sireesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #119
ghw
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
3 HP's ?? hmm... thats interesting. I need to visit Dubai more often to have a look at them...

where do you guys ride normally ?
check out:
http://www.youtube.com/user/dubaiktm...e=results_main
http://www.facebook.com/gerhard.webe.../photos_albums
ghw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #120
Saeed
Life-long learner
 
Saeed's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: UAE Dubai
Oddometer: 284
Those pics are gorgeous!

Those pics are gorgeous!
__________________


2006 Honda CRF 250X " Sold "
2007 Sportster 883 " sold"
2008 yamaha FZ6
Saeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014