ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #16
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,473
Yes I have a program of physical therapy I am supposed to follow, but shit it is hard. I'm doing what I can to regain mobility, not trying to favor my right hand, trying to complete daily tasks without help. The exercises are the hardest. There is no way right now I can complete the sets of movement, my fingers just won't do it. (two broken on each hand and two wrist breaks). Nevertheless I experience advancement each single day, but at night whilst trying to sleep the pain is almost unbearable as I don't want to overdue the meds. Fortunately my breaks are 'clean' and require no pins or bolts. The Grandchildren really help as they want to wrestle Grandfather on the floor and be picked up and rough housed with as usual, so in between a few oohs and ouches we manage to get by. My house and motorcycle chores have suffered, but I hope to get to that starting today as stuff is getting out of hand. So this week sanding the living room/dining room floor and installing six wall sconces (normally a days work, it'll probably take me four). That's OK though, our Son In Law is an Occupational Therapist and says it's good for me!
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,628
Glad to hear you are on the mend.

A scooter still has two wheels, better than walking or a cage any-day.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Oh, I'll ride a Moped with pedals...have done in the past...Two Wheels since Twelve.. that's me... motorcycles since Christmas of 1962.....almost made 50 years without a broken bone! (Lot's of off's, just no breaks).
Old 10-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #19
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Do the PT
Start planning something fun for the spring
Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #20
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

SPRING !

I had my eye on Newcombs and Cleghorn in November!

I'd better start bombing that PT
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #21
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,059
hang in there james, we all have our tough moments.

always nice to have the s.o. taking care of you.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Tough

Tough yeah!
First time in a long time I haven't been able to do ANYTHING.
I have always kept myself crazy busy...I like it that way...so this is a real struggle.
I did pick HUNDREDS of pomegranites today, bared our tree. Also managed to cut a few dead branches using just my right hand and left underarm.
Also drove the stick shift quite a bit too. Colleen 'makes' me drive. Oh she also 'made' me sort the recycling and help her load it in the car.
Swelling has almost gone and I'm not wearing the brace all day. Mobility is hopeless though on the left hand. I'm trying to do stuff other than the exercises...tinkling the piano..shampooing my hair...trying to grab stuff..typing...there just is no strength at all.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #23
El Zorrillo
charity case

Oddometer: 759
whatever happens james, do NOT let the wrists atrophy. my right knee only has maybe 75% full movement because i really didn't do anything to rehab it after i destroyed it when i was only 25. i don't wanna sound like a nag, but i'm pretty sure you aren't 25 anymore. a good therapist will know how far you can be pushed without re-aggravating your injury or harming cartilage and ligaments.

my left wrist is only about 75% also, but that's from scar tissue buildup, and i've been told i can alleviate most of that by going under the knife to remove it, but i've just learned to live with it for now. physical labor isn't enough for you, you need to find an exercise and therapy routine that regains as close to full mobility as you can get. don't give up!
El Zorrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Tough yeah!
First time in a long time I haven't been able to do ANYTHING.
I have always kept myself crazy busy...I like it that way...so this is a real struggle.
I did pick HUNDREDS of pomegranites today, bared our tree. Also managed to cut a few dead branches using just my right hand and left underarm.
Also drove the stick shift quite a bit too. Colleen 'makes' me drive. Oh she also 'made' me sort the recycling and help her load it in the car.
Swelling has almost gone and I'm not wearing the brace all day. Mobility is hopeless though on the left hand. I'm trying to do stuff other than the exercises...tinkling the piano..shampooing my hair...trying to grab stuff..typing...there just is no strength at all.

your recovery is going to take some time... use some of the the down time to enjoy some things you don't normaly do

I spend alot of time with music... maybe get some fish...
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #25
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Thanks guys.

Yeah, Im going to have to get with it. The doldrums are over. Feeling sorry for myself is through.

Music. Yeah Windrat, if it wasn't for music I may be dead ten times over! Throughout my life it's been a constant companion.

Fishing! Ahhhhhhhh....I used to be a fishing fool until I moved to the Foothills. I went out once week from Seal Beach for years and years. Colleen isn't much of a fisherperson and we do everything together, she does LOVE motorcycles!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #26
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast,
To soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak. - William Congreve (The Mourning Bride, 1.1)
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Update

On Sunday a friend put my GPS on the computer and found the 'active log' then found my crash! It was pretty spooky.

Even google earthed the thing.

Log shows me averaging 70 mph for about the last fifteen minutes, 71-66 actually. At 3.58pm I was doing 66mph for 0.4 miles, next update I was doing 5mph for 22 feet! Line shows the bike veering off to the left and in the opposite ditch. When I got up I was twenty feet ahead of the downed bike, so I reckon I flew 20 feet and rolled 20 feet. The 66 mph collision and 5 mph flight for the bike are actual data. The GPS lost power and shut down after the last 22 feet.

My left hand is still pretty useless, but gaining daily. I've been back to the gym and started a work out regime suited to my recovery.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #28
El Zorrillo
charity case

Oddometer: 759
thanks for the update, james. keep on keeping on with the therapy. hang in there.
El Zorrillo is offline   Reply With Quote