New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    That's fn funny.

LED aux light assist. These are VisionX mounted with aluminum angle I hit with sander and sandwiched with the hand guards. Don't drink much juice, big lite light. Reach into junior high wiring behind candle container to tap harness connectors - ez pleezy.

[​IMG]
  2. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, those Fairyland dealers like to bend you over! :rofl
  3. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I drove to Boston this morning to help dyno my 690 and get the base maps built. The results so far are excellent! The throttle off idle is very, very crispy. I've never had it feel that good with TuneEcu or the Vortex, it was amazing.
    It made 57HP at 6500 RPM but we encountered a strange problem where the Pulser coil voltage gets a little crazy and throws the timing signal off a bit.
    We found the problem, so its getting more dyno time tomorrow to finish up the map.

The power and torque curve is really smooth and parallel, right to 6500. Once the pulser is adjusted, it will pull to redline cleanly and make even more power. My best guess is 60-61 HP at the rear wheel tomorrow. The exhaust is a Q4 with the insert and the simple UNI pod filter, I wonder what we'll make with an open exhaust:lol3 The motor is bone stock, no cams or big bore kits.
  4. BigDaddy

BigDaddy not riding enough

Oddometer:

Easy to name him or her! A boy named Sally!
  5. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Toying with having mine dyno tuned as well. I'm interested to hear all about it and how much and in what areas they made adjustments.
  6. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    57 hp ??? what is the HP of a stock one ?

Paul Jr 8
  7. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I found 64 HP on Bikez at 7500 rpm and as I recall, rated HP is at the crank. I'm showing 57 at the wheel and I've still got another 1000 rpm to go yet.
  8. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Everybody rates their engines at the crank, so you are doing very well already. You got a street tire on there for the dyno runs, right?
  9. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    yup, street tire on the back
  10. Aaron from Texas

Aaron from Texas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very very nice... I'm wondering what that thing will do with an Evo2 Cam. I saw a sheet from an SMC with 63 RWHP with an Evo2 Cam and DynoJet PCV (which sucks)... You're already there without the cam.
  11. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
    What the cam does is take the power off the bottom end and put it on the top end. Good for some applications but not so good for lugging around in the dirt. Leave that cam for the sumo/track guys.
  12. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Exactly, I'm looking for mid range and smooth power delivery. The goal has been met, the peak HP is just a bonus.
  13. Aaron from Texas

Oddometer:
    Interesting... Didn't know that.
  14. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    My wild ass guess was correct, 61hp at the rear wheel at 7500 rpm
    Linear curve, right to 7500! Now its time to ride it in anger for a bit and make sure everything is good!
  15. Aaron from Texas

Oddometer:
    Post up some fuel tables from the 'squirt system, if you can... I'd be interested to look at that.
  16. cantweallridealong

cantweallridealong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all

i am currently traveling south america on a KTM 690 Enduro and have a problem..

engine noise ticking very rapidly turned into a full melt down from the bike

i am some what mechanically inclined so i set to work.. to try to see what the hell had happened..

I was quite sure that this was a valve issue. took off the head to reveal a super f**ked Valve Rocker Bearing that has stripped it’s self and seized.. also damaging the Valve Cams too..

As i can tell there dos not appear to be any other damage done to any other parts..

my questions for anyone who can help is would this have done any other damage to the motor... i.e. the piston, cylinder etc... this is not an easy thing too tear down to check..

and other than ordering a new Rocker Arm and Valve Cam what else does anybody recomend i should replace with these..

many thanks

James

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Aw man, that aint pretty...

I would verify the oil pumps are in spec in terms of pressure and volume.

No use replacing parts if'n the oil ain't gettin there.
  18. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    When my rockers went bad I did some searching and discovered that it wasn't uncommon. I note that you have the newer style rockers not what came with my 2009. On mine one shaft came out and I was able to push the other one out with my finger plus the needle bearing came apart. Yours just looks ceased.

I would replace both rockers.

What is that red oil you are using?
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    LOL, so the more I tear into my motor the more I find I need to do. So new piston to go along with the new rings, and of course the cylinder needs to be worked over. If the cylinder is worn past spec, then it's going to have to be sent off.

I did pick up a used cylinder and piston with rings with 4.5K miles on Ebay for $100. Figure I'll toss that on for now, and next time I need to do a top end just swap cylnders and pistons.
  20. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:

So your sending it off to be bored out too 728cc:evil