Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #10501
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
I have not read anything, cost/duration/etc about the Los Nochis to La Paz ferry. Any information about that ferry will be appreciated.
Topolobampo (Los Mochis) to La Paz

Your answer here Here
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #10502
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Forget about any Holiday Inn as being cheap !
Go to. 69 Avenida Republica de Uruguay. There just ride your bike in through the huge
front portal of Hotel Montecarlo . You will get a nice room for $25 or less
Secure parking garage just after you ride past the reception desk.
You will be only 2 blocks SW of the ZOCALO and on a quiet street of stores, offices and other
hotels in the Centro Historico and tourist district with regular police surveillance.
Quite safe area to go walking about . Visit the upper deck of the Torre Latino for a
great view
(if you already booked in at a snooty $$$$. hotel just see how much you
overpaid..... then get a refund and move to my favorite hotel ��)
Thanks! I am already in the Hotel Castropol. Large clean room with hot water and wifi for $300 pesos, about $22.50 US

It also has an under ground garage.

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 05:56 AM
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #10503
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
It's always all about the toilet seat!

What is this toilet seat you speak of!

Yes, it has one!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #10504
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Ok all of you are right, there is nothing that can cause a problem and ruin a trip and having this bit of info is not important. But just to be provocative, how many of you knew this quirk in the system even existed. I didn't until 6 months ago. If you want to argue about something else now, fell free.

But If you want to help me provide arguments to the Governor of Sonora and our Senators to make all of Sonora TVIP free, PM me.
I actually consider the paper work at the borders as part of the Adventure, but what do I know! I never hired helpers on my trip to Central America this year, even though one did help at one point. I think the risk factor of doing the importation on line can be affected by how far you live from the border. Some folks live in Texas, some in Mississippi and some much further off. So the best solution might be dictated by ones proximity to the border if there is a problem. BTW, I crossed at Laredo headed south for the first time on my current trip, less than one hour for every thing.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #10505
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Shit does happen. Last year at Allende I had a major seniors moment...
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #10506
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I think the risk factor of doing the importation on line can be affected by how far you live from the border. Some folks live in Texas, some in Mississippi and some much further off. So the best solution might be dictated by ones proximity to the border if there is a problem.
Exactly.

I'm not so sure if I lived in Canada or even Kansas I would get an online TVIP. I would just get in line at the border.

I can afford to do online TVIPs all day because of where I live. If I needed to cancel at the last minute I can be in Nuevo Laredo to take care of it in just a few hours.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #10507
jimmex
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I actually consider the paper work at the borders as part of the Adventure, but what do I know! I never hired helpers on my trip to Central America this year, even though one did help at one point. I think the risk factor of doing the importation on line can be affected by how far you live from the border. Some folks live in Texas, some in Mississippi and some much further off. So the best solution might be dictated by ones proximity to the border if there is a problem. BTW, I crossed at Laredo headed south for the first time on my current trip, less than one hour for every thing.
+1 I always fear that they are going to say no TVIP for you Johnny, go back to your quiet desperation in Estados Unidos. Then when they nod their head and go over to the TVIP printer, I have the little twinge of excitement of knowing my adventure is going to happen.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #10508
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
+1 I always fear that they are going to say no TVIP for you Johnny, go back to your quiet desperation in Estados Unidos. Then when they nod their head and go over to the TVIP printer, I have the little twinge of excitement of knowing my adventure is going to happen.
Amazing how a little positive gesture makes your heart sing.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #10509
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
La Paz Ferry

Thanks Trice for the ferry info and for weighing in on the TVIP question. The ferry from Topo history was interesting. It is still unclear to me if you need the original title to get the TVIP at the border or if a copy will do. I do not remember from my trip in '06. I do recall that the crossing at Columbus/Palomas was easy and efficient and back then there was no large deposit. IIRC everything was done at one place just after crossing the border. All of that may have changed in the last few years. Anyone know for certain? Thanks.

Anyone headed for the RawHyde Adventure Rally 11.9-11? Thinking about going to that and heading South from there.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #10510
jimmex
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Thanks Trice for the ferry info and for weighing in on the TVIP question. The ferry from Topo history was interesting. It is still unclear to me if you need the original title to get the TVIP at the border or if a copy will do. I do not remember from my trip in '06. I do recall that the crossing at Columbus/Palomas was easy and efficient and back then there was no large deposit. IIRC everything was done at one place just after crossing the border. All of that may have changed in the last few years. Anyone know for certain? Thanks.

Anyone headed for the RawHyde Adventure Rally 11.9-11? Thinking about going to that and heading South from there.
ORIGINAL title or ORIGINAL registration in your name is what is required.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #10511
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
+1 I always fear that they are going to say no TVIP for you Johnny, go back to your quiet desperation in Estados Unidos.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #10512
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
I get a tingle up my leg.

Re: title or registration, I take an official copy of my registration and this has been accepted in both México and Guatemala. Costs $3 at my local county tax office. Also carry hard and soft copies of all my docs.

Not to stir the puddin' on the online TVIP issue but I did have a problem a year ago when my online application was denied due to Banjercito claiming they never received my docs from the previous online application. They had, of course, and I resent both the docs and the confirmation email I had received previously. Ended up having to call Banjercito in Mexico City to resolve the matter and by then I had missed my travel window. I now know better how to resolve such matters but consider what would have happened had I loaded up the bike and rolled down to the border with a few friends only to be denied entry.

Since then I have carried docs and Banjercito receipts from previous trips and recommend this to everyone regardless of the application process you prefer.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 07:34 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #10513
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Yah , gots the poop on the turlet angle�� , a regular guy I am
But seriously , yes the Montecarlo parking garage is entered by driving in the
front door even before you register . The desk area will be on your left
so you could stop there and sign in first . They may direct you to a special
corner for bikes to park.( My price in 2008 was $17.50 for a single. I was moving it up
to allow for possible increase without creating false expectations , it may still be that low!)
I feel no shame in admitting that I am not so wealthy , that I feel compelled
to seek out economical hotels . Low cost hotels allow me to get the benefit of a roof and
security and sanitary facilities . To me hotels are not the reason for travel , they all
look the same once you are asleep .

As to the possibility of problems preventing one from getting to the border To cancel a TVIP,
it is a real possibility and does not necessarily mean one is a worry wart. Only a few weeks ago
I got an email from a fellow rider in Wisconsin who had bought my book and had
done much preparation. Then , he wrote to me, as he was starting his trip he began feeling
uncomfortable within minutes of riding out of his driveway. It alarmed him and he instead rode
to his town's hospital where he learned he was having the start of a cardiac problem .
End of trip to Mexico! But he caught it early and received immediate care with excellent
prognosis , and no lasting damage . He did not say whether he had bought a TVIP online
.If you are reading this , Brad , best wishes for your continued
full and speedy recovery and let us know
how or if you had to deal with a TVIP dilemma

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 01:01 PM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #10514
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Book?

Was not aware of Sjoerd's book. What is the title? Is it widely available? I am planning a winter trip to Mexico equipped with Garmin NA series City Navigator and Guia Roji Mexico Tourist Road Atlas. Will these serve me well on an initial foray of a month or so or should I supplement with the new Bici Maps that was mentioned here a few or more pages back? Thoughts please.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #10515
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Was not aware of Sjoerd's book. What is the title? Is it widely available? I am planning a winter trip to Mexico equipped with Garmin NA series City Navigator and Guia Roji Mexico Tourist Road Atlas. Will these serve me well on an initial foray of a month or so or should I supplement with the new Bici Maps that was mentioned here a few or more pages back? Thoughts please.
I have a Garmin with Bici Mapas Mexico database and it has served me well. Garmin's Mexico database compares very well and they may give you a discount as a Garmin customer. A current version of either database will be fine. If your GPS accepts a data card (like the Zumo 660/665) you should load the Mexico database onto the card instead of the GPS memory so as not to slow your GPS unit down too much.

Ultimately you need to be able to navigate with a compass and good paper maps like the Guia Roji you have. That way you have an instrument that never fails and a database that always displays. Just sayin'......

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote