Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
smorgasgeorge OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
sealing water out of cylinders on an r100gs?

several weeks ago while riding the TAT, i hit some nasty oklahoma mud and my bike careened into a ditch of standing water up to my knees. after finally locating someone two hours later who could help me wench it out, the engine wouldn't turn. presumably this was because there was water in the cylinder, since once he blew it out with a compressor, it cranked right up.

so two questions for the knowledgeable:

1) how can i better seal the engine, if at all, both for water crossings and possible situations like this? am i correct in assuming water entered through the spark plug?
2) when you're standing there with a water-logged 500 lb bike and no one around has a big air compressor, what can you do?

thanks very much for your thoughts

S. Morgas
smorgasgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by smorgasgeorge View Post

1) how can i better seal the engine, if at all, both for water crossings and possible situations like this? am i correct in assuming water entered through the spark plug?
2) when you're standing there with a water-logged 500 lb bike and no one around has a big air compressor, what can you do?
1) Don't submerge your bike.

2) Take out spark plugs (not when cylinders are submerged ) put bike in 5th gear turn back wheel about half a turn, then hit starter for a few short bursts, put plugs back in, start bike. Hopefully.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by smorgasgeorge View Post
several weeks ago while riding the TAT, i hit some nasty oklahoma mud and my bike careened into a ditch of standing water up to my knees. after finally locating someone two hours later who could help me wench it out, the engine wouldn't turn. presumably this was because there was water in the cylinder, since once he blew it out with a compressor, it cranked right up.

so two questions for the knowledgeable:

thanks very much for your thoughts

S. Morgas
1)The water entered through the air intake. Check your filter now.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,583
4. Don't never, ever try to turn over an engine that is hydro-locked because of fluid (water, gas, oil) in the cylinder. Good way to bend a connecting rod.

Water in the cylinder: Checked the crankcase? Front cover (alternator, bean can)? Transmission oil? Driveshaft oil? Rear end oil?

--Bill
Old 10-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,865
Am I the only one that thinks the water got into the cylinder through the tailpipe and an open exhaust valve?
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 442
Wicked No sparkplug water

Water would not enter through the spark plugs. Watet would enter through the Exhaust or Intake.

Water will also enter crankcase, rear differential, driveshaft, Transmission via breather's.

Airbox - Carborator tube all depends on how the bike was laying submerized in the water.

Should now drain all fluids to check for water. Do not try to start a bike that is submerged in water - pull the plugs and diperse the water out of cylinders.
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,157
As stated earlier, the water entered through either the intake or exhaust valves, not the sparkplug.
I would remove the sparkplugs, put the bike in gear and roll forward to displace any water. I would not recommend cranking the bike with the starter and plugs removed unless they are SECURELY grounded. Otherwise you risk damage to the electronic ignition.