Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Don't advertise your plates, people have lost cars, bikes and a lot more by crooks
Having a plate number, guess what if its registered to home address they now know where you live
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
Don't advertise your plates, people have lost cars, bikes and a lot more by crooks
Having a plate number, guess what if its registered to home address they now know where you live
And that can't be done just by seeing your plate on the road while you're in the vehicle?
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #18
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Just about anybody sophisticated enough to do a plate lookup to get address information probably has other ways of causing harm.
GSequoia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,593
Quote:
Do you have documentation of this ever happening? Even once?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
And that can't be done just by seeing your plate on the road while you're in the vehicle?
Right. Not to mention that this crook is local. I don't think looking on the internet for bikes to steal would be as efficient as going to a place where bikes frequent (like a dealership) and writing down plate numbers.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #21
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,305
And when a potential buyer/crook calls to see the vehicle, what do you do? You typically* give him your home address.

If somebody has enough access to the DMV/MVA to get your personal info, they don't need to get your plate off the internet.

*It never hurts to meet potential buyers at public places, but how many people actually do that?
Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #22
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
And when a potential buyer/crook calls to see the vehicle, what do you do? You typically* give him your home address.

If somebody has enough access to the DMV/MVA to get your personal info, they don't need to get your plate off the internet.

*It never hurts to meet potential buyers at public places, but how many people actually do that?
It's much more safe not to sell motorcycles, only buy them.
GSequoia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #23
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
It's much more safe not to sell motorcycles, only buy them.

and avoids the dreaded regret. BTDT

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #24
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Do you have documentation of this ever happening? Even once?
I know someone who has a sister-in-law who had a friend who posted it on facebook. It must be true.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #25
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
I know someone who has a sister-in-law who had a friend who posted it on facebook. It must be true.
Yep, I know that same someone.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #26
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post

I do that... usually a local coffee shop, and when I unloaded my nighthawk this past spring I even threw in a cup of coffee to sweeten the deal. Works every time.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #27
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,857
I generally obscure mine for fraud purposes - license plate cloning. It's one thing if you see my truck parked in the driveway, obviously the plate's readily visible... but one can do a google image search for "white pickup" and possibly come across mine.

So some guy in teh state or country with a truck like mine makes a plate similar enough that a camera can't tell a difference between it and mine, then goes off blowing tollbooths, pump-and-run, or any other sort of crime... i'd be the one getting the phone calls about it, if not worse.

Or you could play a sick joke on someone and phone it in as stolen. Here's the vehicle description, here's the plate. Especially if you're posting it for-sale.

A couple of quick swipes with a clone or smudge tool, or just frame the shot so the plates are obscured... not too hard to do, could save a lot of headaches down the road.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #28
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post

A couple of quick swipes with a clone or smudge tool, or just frame the shot so the plates are obscured... not too hard to do, could save a lot of headaches down the road.
And that works the majority of the time--most people outside of the internet's basement or LE won't know how to fire up CS3 and undo it.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #29
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
If you are really concerned, just take the plates off before you take the picture or be "old skool" and throw a rag over it. You guys are wayyyy over thinking this.

In so far as the desired "effect" being undone, I think some of you might be thinking of that pedophile douchebag that they tracked down and caught in Thailand by un-swirling his avatar picture.
  1. http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...ling_a_ph.html
  2. http://boingboing.net/2007/10/08/unt...-photo-of.html

If you're really interested in the mechanics and discussion of this fascinating topic or reversing convolutions (called "deconvolution" btw) this will get you started, but your head might explode trying to understand it if your background doesn't include some exposure to digital image processing on a more than passing interest level and a good dose of math. Have fun... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconvolution
Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #30
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy'east View Post
If you are really concerned, just take the plates off before you take the picture or be "old skool" and throw a rag over it. You guys are wayyyy over thinking this.

In so far as the desired "effect" being undone, I think some of you might be thinking of that pedophile douchebag that they tracked down and caught in Thailand by un-swirling his avatar picture.
  1. http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...ling_a_ph.html
  2. http://boingboing.net/2007/10/08/unt...-photo-of.html

If you're really interested in the mechanics and discussion of this fascinating topic or reversing convolutions (called "deconvolution" btw) this will get you started, but your head might explode trying to understand it if your background doesn't include some exposure to digital image processing on a more than passing interest level and a good dose of math. Have fun... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconvolution
Not me, but I'm glad they did.

My experience comes from witnessing first hand what anon can do re:somebody posting a naughty photo of their SO without properly convoluting (am I using that word right?) the face on the image. Within enough hours to be counted on the fingers of one hand the SO's name, address, and FB page address are up on pastebin, and not because someone who knows her IRL recognized her.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote