User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #16
OldNFast OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Up and Running

Bike is back in running form. I'm pretty sure the problem was the stator. I tested all three contacts and two of them were low. The 14.5 I was getting was DC into the diode board. You must check AC coming off the stator.

But, I am assuming, as I found the compatible /6 rotor/stator/diode board on eBay and installed it today. How nice it is to have the generator light go out at 1000 RM.

Thanks to all who contributed.
OldNFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #17
JGuerra
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Talking Indicator Lights Stay On Please Help

I am a recent owner of a 1971 BMW R75/5 and have been really enjoying riding. It however, recently left me stranded and pushing the bike into a parking lot. I was able to push start it (twice) to get home (luckily I was only 3 miles away).

The following are things that I have done so far (and rode after doing these things with no problems):

-New Odyssey PC680 Battery
-New Oil Pressure Switch (old one was leaking oil)
-New oil pan gasket/filter/oil change

I was riding and the motorcycle shut off completely. I thought the battery may be dead even though it is new because lights were intermittent before the bike died.

What is really throwing me off is that now the indicator lights will not go off unless I unplug the battery negative even when the ignition key is not set (in). I have read it can be the stator, diode board, bushings, and a couple of other things but I am wondering if anybody has seen or heard of this happening before digging into it.

I realize I can take the wiring diagram and trace everything but in an effort to save time and not reinvent the wheel I was wondering If this has happened to somebody before? BTW my headlight will turn on even without the key inserted. Thanks for your responses.
JGuerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #18
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuerra View Post
I have read it can be the stator, diode board, bushings, and a couple of other things but I am wondering if anybody has seen or heard of this happening before digging into it.
It is the front tire. Replace it.

From your description of the fault .. NO ONE can say what the fault is! You need to do some FAULT FINDING to find out what it is. Or you can just replace everything.. $$$

Your choice.

The key switch is suspect at this stage. But you need to confirm that .. or just go ahead and spend your money .. it might be fixed if you replace the key switch .. it might not. Your money, your time, your bike.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,544
J Guerra: I would suspect your "switch"... the Slash 5 switch has a board uderneath, in the headlight bucket, with contacts that can go awry. It sounds as if your switch is staying "on" from what you describe.