ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #61
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Jeff- I was riding with Tom (although not at the time) and had kicked my bike about 200 times when you showed up, STSlayer told me you guys waited for me to get it started, thanks for that! Sorry I wasn't more engaging in conversation. I'm sure we'll cross paths again.

Ridefreak- I didn't know that you were in the group with Rusty 'til Tom told me later, I wanted to meet you and shake your hand.

Gordy- I might be rollin' through ABQ on my way to Baja in mid December, I'll check and see if any of you NM boys might wanna ride.
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #62
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
Jeff- I was riding with Tom (although not at the time) and had kicked my bike about 200 times when you showed up, STSlayer told me you guys waited for me to get it started, thanks for that! Sorry I wasn't more engaging in conversation. I'm sure we'll cross paths again.

Ridefreak- I didn't know that you were in the group with Rusty 'til Tom told me later, I wanted to meet you and shake your hand.

Gordy- I might be rollin' through ABQ on my way to Baja in mid December, I'll check and see if any of you NM boys might wanna ride.
mylsmkj, sorry we missed you, let us know when you're coming through NM.

Here's the north (lower) end of the Devil's Racetrack trail.

RideFreak screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 10:40 PM
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #63
mtech1950
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
dr

chris, nice perspective on tyler, could you tighten that shot? my neck still aches from watchin......
mtech1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:18 AM   #64
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 726
Nice vid Chris, thanks for sharing! Rode Mary's a few years ago with Dozer Dillon and it's everything I remember!
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #65
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,303
Great vids Chris! Fun re-living the ride!

Hellsickle at Slipper Arch

The Icebox:

Work Suks.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #66
Dozer Dillon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I'm sure the NM boys will have plenty of high quality video in the next could weeks.

In the meanwhile....

Studded tires were the hot ticket for 5MOH:

NOT!

Ray stopped to yank most of the studs out after the first big ledge. He also discovered that putting a brand new front tire on before riding 5MOH was not a Good Thing(tm). Make sure you have well scrubbed tires so that the side knobs stick to the rocks.

The NM guys seemed to have missed the memo about which end of the trail to start on. We ran into them going the other way when we were most of the way thru the trail.

For a week day, there were a lot of folks on 5MOH. I don't think I've ever seen so much carnage. There was an XR350 apparently abandoned in the middle of the trail. A Canadian group was doing surgery on a KTM 350 with fuel pump issues.

SingleTrackSlayer cruising thru 5MOH, barely breaking a sweat:

I loved the new 300 on this trail. The sticky trials tire, auto clutch, and rear hand brake let me totally wimp out and still get away with it. Having a fan kit with an override switch meant I never had to worry about overheating.Yes, I walked the bike down the Dreaded Steps. I hope the someone got video of the Canadian guy launching off the top after he made it up once, and totally splatting at the bottom. It sounds like he bled pretty well afterwards.

I always run worn down tires for Utah. They stick much better to the rock. I put new tires on in May/June timeframe and by November, they work well in Utah. We try to ride Utah once a month from Nov.- to May. Jeff, I have taken many pictures of people coming through that exact spot. What is cool is to get people on the side hill in the back ground as they snake down and back up to this spot. We'll be out there next weekend for 5 days.
Blue Ribbon
COHVCO
Dozer Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #67
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post

Ah, well, good to meet you. You'd looked pretty exhausted. I figured it was from riding. Sucks when a bike won't start.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #68
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
mylsmkj, sorry we missed you, let us know when you're coming through NM.

Here's the north (lower) end of the Devil's Racetrack trail.
A top ten video. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #69
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,332
Here's part two. This is the one where the Devil's Colon was gang raped

Back to work for me, it'll be this weekend before I can get any more videos done.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #70
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 466
Nice! Best one yet! Love the junk show.

I still think that brian's reaction is the best. The way he slumps his head tells all.

singletrackslayer screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 10:19 AM
singletrackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #71
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
...it'll be this weekend before I can get any more videos done.
Slacker!!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #72
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,827
That wasn't Gordy, it was a Star Wars Stormtrooper
Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #73
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,537
WOW!! Awesome!
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #74
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,331
Wow!...love that vid of the Devil's Colon, Chris. I remember that spot well where one of the guys had a biff. It was the only spot I remember getting my attention a bit last year. It's funny that I didn't have that much trouble with the DR trail on my KLX. I tend to like that kind of terrain if it doesn't get too crazy. Maybe because some of that is a bit like some of our west Texas stuff, I feel more comfortable on it compared to some of the Colorado high country stuff. You rode with me a bit over in the Alpine Loop area, and you know I've become more of a scared, old man. You know, though, how some of that fear disappears when riding with a group like that, because you don't want to be "that guy". I got to ride DR with some of the Ft. Collins area guys on their fancy KTMs, and I guarantee they pushed me further and harder than I normally go these days. The other thing I liked about DR is how it's not shredded like some of the classic trails around Moab have become with heavy 4WD and other traffic numbers. DR still retained most of its natural character on the terrain features in my observation. That is a fun trail, great scenery, and challenges that aren't too awfully nasty. Very nice vid as always.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #75
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
You know, though, how some of that fear disappears when riding with a group like that, because you don't want to be "that guy".
I have no idea what you're talkin about . . .