Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #16
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,745
Follow ME109's advice. I did the same on my 82 and it is better, but I depend on the Surefoot side stand when carrying luggage.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,745
Follow ME109's advice. I did the same on my 82 and it is better, but I depend on the Surefoot side stand when carrying luggage. It's a pity that BMW got it so wrong after the good stand on my 75.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,087
I did the weld nad grind, also.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,952
Along with a host of other changes made in 1981, the center stand was redesigned. It raised the bikes wheels far more than neccesary, increasing the effort required dramatically. They finally fixed it in 1983. The improved stand can be identified by a patterned pad to press your foot against. I have welded the stops on the '81-'82 stands and shortened the legs of the '81-'82 stands. It's a tedious job.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #20
bushyb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thanks for the advice and photos. I will have to look at it soon.
bushyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #21
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,906
Start with

finish with

Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 AM   #22
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
+1 on the weld build up method. Someone did it to my GS somewhere back in its life - it worked very well.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #23
bushyb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
Start with

finish with

Thanks for the comments and the great photos. I have taken some photos that can be seen here: https://picasaweb.google.com/109840758061372490709/BMWMainStand# of the current condition of the stand. Some are not so good but use the zoom tool to see them better. Please feel free to copy and edit them and post them here so that we may all benefit from the shared experience.
Not sure how the stand come off but it seems that I will have to remove the sump to get the stand off or am I missing a trick here?
Remember now I am new to Airheads I am use to pre unit Triumphs, and those stands were great especially the '58- ‘62 stand, you just put your foot on the side lever connected to the stand, not the stand and it starts to raise the bike.
Surely there must be a way to modify the stand that by placing your foot on a new modified side lever, using your body weight and with the help of the law of the leaver to make putting the bike on the main stand easier.
Just a final thought is it necessary the front wheal stand so high of the ground? Could one cut a piece out the main stand and get a easier lifting effect.
bushyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #24
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Probably technique. I am short, about 5'7" and could get my R100RS (heavy bitch she was, lovely though) and R80RT on the CS easy. BUT I did it by pulling it a few inches further forward than I wanted it actually parked, then pushed the stand down with the foot, and rolled it BACK whilst pulling up on the handle all whilst pushing down with the foot. It'll pop right on that way. Don't try to lift it straight up onto the centre stand.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #25
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,087
Just did this again today, because i finally got around to it, and now i finally have a stand again. Didnt paint it yet, still mid oil change :)
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #26
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
bushy,
Personally I think, unless there is a specific bushing issue as has been mentioned, the G/S is a pita to get on the stand compared to alot of bikes.

I have a '96 R1100RT that weighs well over 600 lbs and it is easier to get it on and off of the stand than my G/S.

I think the intent of off-road use and trail repairs made BMW set the stand up to be more stable, but harder to lift on and off.

As far as getting off the stand, on both of my bikes I just put it in gear, tilt back, and let out the clutch, they drop right off. Pull the clutch in quickly after though....lol
Old 11-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #27
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,316
81 G/S is not too bad if one has enough room to pull/lift at same time. a pita get on stand in tight quarters for me.

still not getting how weld mod works ... anyone has any better links to pics?
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,402
the area built up with weld moves the stop for the stand, which is the part that contacts the frame, so it doesn't go past center as far. ALL these stands wear, I've welded most of mine over the years. the weld fix, along with new bolts and bushings will make a noticable improvement.
i don't think your gonna get better pics than bushyb's.
also, worn suspension or too much sag will make it much harder to lift the bike onto the stand. if your bike has 35 year old clapped out suspension and the thing pretty much sits on the ground, it's gonna be a bear to get on the stand, regardless of how good the stand is functioning.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #29
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
the area built up with weld moves the stop for the stand, which is the part that contacts the frame, so it doesn't go past center as far. ALL these stands wear, I've welded most of mine over the years. the weld fix, along with new bolts and bushings will make a noticable improvement.
i don't think your gonna get better pics than bushyb's.
also, worn suspension or too much sag will make it much harder to lift the bike onto the stand. if your bike has 35 year old clapped out suspension and the thing pretty much sits on the ground, it's gonna be a bear to get on the stand, regardless of how good the stand is functioning.
no problem with where to add metal. what I was not getting was .. how does adding metal help in getting your bike in the air onto the stand.

all adding metal could do is change where stand stops against frame. this would help with getting bike off center stand which is no biggie.

pivot point has to changed to reduce height bike has to be raised before tip-over. height of stand needs to be reduced or pivot point raised.

currently 81 G/S front wheel is 2in in the air. to deploy center stand, rear end raises 2.5-3in before passing tipping point then hitting stop.

what am I missing?

_cy_ screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 12:11 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #30
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,170
Good points cy. If you go to the effort to remove and weld the stand, then making the oval holes round, buying new bushes and bolts and adding some grease will transform the stand into something very usable. Don't just stop at welding the tip of the stand.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote