Old 10-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #3137
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie View Post
Got it. Thanks.
No worries...

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #3138
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDragon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post

Here are most of the parts to make 100 pieces. I'll get some more start-to-finish build pics posted up soon.

You work without beer? What kind of bs outfit is this?

Heh heh, I'm with you. Though I'm not sure these things will support both coffee AND beer!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #3139
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Oddometer: 198
In the immortal words of poolside....

Wait... what?

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
Old 10-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #3140
Poolside OP
Syndicated

They only support 20oz per 'fill'. So I'm pretty sure there's room for either coffee or beer, but not both. You getting this joke yet?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #3141
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,903
Quote:
They only support 20oz per 'fill'. So I'm pretty sure there's room for either coffee or beer, but not both. You getting this joke yet?

Those sure came in handy during the last dozen Giants games...
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #3142
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Unfortunately I got it the first time... I was TRYING to not visualize but its too late... I already pictured you riding with a perplexed look around... then happy surprise when you remember your secret... then satisfied relief as you ride on...

Quote:

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
Old 10-31-2012, 05:39 AM   #3143
DriftDragon
Wanderer

So it looks like BMW has made some changes to throttle response on the new 2013. Anyone heard any details on what precisely they are doing yet? I wonder if they made changes that would require more engineering chllenges from Poolside or circumvent the feasibility of the Ice Air altogether heaven forbid?

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
Old 11-01-2012, 04:11 AM   #3144
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Those sure came in handy during the last dozen Giants games...

Were you one of the half-million on the BART trains Wednesday night?

Old 11-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #3145
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:

Unfortunately I got it the first time... I was TRYING to not visualize but its too late... I already pictured you riding with a perplexed look around... then happy surprise when you remember your secret... then satisfied relief as you ride on...
Legal in all 50 states, and Canada. 

Old 11-01-2012, 04:37 AM   #3146
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post

I would have figured the [air-cooled] motors would get enriched as the temp goes up, as that usually yields a cooler charge. I'm more of a water cooled guy, though. The modern boxer is a new thing for me.

Anyway, I'm just trying to understand what it does and how far it goes before I pop one on. Is there any adaptation left in the EFI system or is it a straight % across the board? Do the intake and ambient pressure sensors (if there) still function and affect the injector duration as originally intended? Is it trade secret?

I'm just a gearhead and this stuff fascinates me. I just like to understand things before I go plugging things into a vehicle. I spent hours researching what if's on the PCIII and PCV. Sorry if this all sounds familiar. There are a ton of pages to go through in this thread.
I feel the same way regarding the desire to understand things ahead of time.

Regarding your air-cooled comment: Typically as both the motor and the ambient air temp increase a fuel injected motor is operated with a leaner mixture. Air-cooled motors even more so.

A hot motor, with warm intake air, will continue to run on very lean mixtures. The motor doesn't make the same power as it does with a richer mixture, but it runs cooler and emissions are lower.

The IICE Air puts a 'lower intake air temperature offset' into that lean mixture trend. The ECU responds to that 'temperature offset' with a richer mixture, and the motor makes better power at all ambient temps.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #3147
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:

So it looks like BMW has made some changes to throttle response on the new 2013. Anyone heard any details on what precisely they are doing yet? I wonder if they made changes that would require more engineering chllenges from Poolside or circumvent the feasibility of the Ice Air altogether heaven forbid?
Well, one thing I can tell you that if the factory changes the connector on the Intake Air Temp sensor, the IICE Air will not fit.  Other than that it will work just fine.

Some technical notes about the new 1200 Wethead:

I haven't read any factory confirmation, but it appears to me the new 1200 will have throttle-by-wire. A throttle-by-wire system improves the throttle response of an emissions-regulated motor by not allowing the rider to control throttle movements.

The most accurate way to describe the system is that throttle-by-wire masks the rider inputs that would exhibit poor throttle response by simply not letting them happen.

Of course all of that is very different from good throttle response.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #3148
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Wethead

"WeatHead"...did we already have a contest to name the new engine? I must have missed it
Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #3149
The Evil Twin
Boxer Freak

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
I feel the same way regarding the desire to understand things ahead of time.

Regarding your air-cooled comment: Typically as both the motor and the ambient air temp increase a fuel injected motor is operated with a leaner mixture. Air-cooled motors even more so.

A hot motor, with warm intake air, will continue to run on very lean mixtures. The motor doesn't make the same power as it does with a richer mixture, but it runs cooler and emissions are lower.

The IICE Air puts a 'lower intake air temperature offset' into that lean mixture trend. The ECU responds to that 'temperature offset' with a richer mixture, and the motor makes better power at all ambient temps.

Gotcha! Thanks! So then my assumption of all the other sensors remaining in play is correct (ambient/ intake pressure, etc). No worries about riding from Death Valley to Mt. Evans and the pressure changes
Not that it is in my near future

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
"WeatHead"...did we already have a contest to name the new engine? I must have missed it
I thought it was a Wasser Kopf.
CCS #132 Sponsors: DC-Moto.net, Amsoil, Manassas Honda Kawasaki, MARRC
2013 Amateur of the Year
2013 RCGT #6 Overall Mid Atlantic
2012 Cornerworker of the Year

Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #3150
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Well, since it's only partially wet... it will still rely on air cooling... perhaps it's kinda pretending to be wet... and not really a sign of true excitement that truely wet would indicate... Let's call it "Jelly Head" (as in personal lubricant squirted around the edges variety of wet)

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
Closed Thread