Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
I have a windbreaker balaclava from BMW that works really well. Very thin on the top so it fits under the helmet well. The neck area material feels almost like a dense fleece, but I believe it is a thin neoprene core, as it blocks the wind completely. Tucked in under the collar of my heated liner and I barely get any wind on my face. I've been happy in it down to 30 degrees on the highway with the jacket and gloves running.

I recall it being extremely reasonably priced as well... I think $35?

Only problem I've had is that the stitching isn't well secured at the ends of some seams, I had to return one for the seam under the mouth panel coming undone, and repair the replacement on the road as the stitching came loose while out on a 3 day trip.
made by Vermont Turtlefur? BMW shops often sell these and they work well. That is the one I have also.
buls4evr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,930
Balaclava. The ones I like have a fleecey-bottom, but a thin top. I have an Arctiva one that's thin, works well on the bike for quick winter trips. Klim makes one that comes down the chest/back a little further, keeps the wind out better than the ones that just go to your shoulders.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Buy a Buff. Like everyone says. It is an item you'll learn to love year round. They make various ones, but the original is fine for probably 75-80% of the weather you encounter.

It is like a multitool of headwear. I usually keep mine around my neck, even in the summer. Keeps the wind and bugs off you. You can also wear it around just your mouth, or just around your ears, or around both your mouth and ears.

I have a couple, I have one I got from the beemer dealership, one that is black, and one that is fish patterned, I wash them and keep put them on when I go riding, just as I would socks.

I also have one that is half of the Buff moisture wicking material / half fleece. The fleece part keeps your neck warm while the micro fiber keeps the wind off your skin and wicks the moisture off so you don't get clammy.

I'm interested in getting the wool one too.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
I use the Aerostich Wind Triangle to keep my neck warm and cold air from entering my helmet http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/cl...-triangle.html
This is what I use and I'm amazed at the difference it makes.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
I have used a couple different thicknesses of balaclavas and they work fine, but in the end, the Merino wool Buff works well and is very versatile. $20 for a tube of material is pretty steep, but damn if it doesn't work very well. You can wear it like a neck gater or wear it like a balaclava.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #21
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,064
It just got into the thirties in NC. Up until now a bandana folded into a triangle was enough. I have a 30 mile commute early in the mornin', so my wife stitched me up a big 'ol triangle sandwich--one side cut from a windbreaker, the other from a flannel shirt, with a velcro patch at the back. Man is it nice! Not any bulkier than the bandana, but really warm. I usually wear it outside the jacket since my collar keeps my neck covered. That allows me a lot more freedom to rotate my head. I loves my country gal!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #22
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,904
Best neck gaitor I've ever used is the Halvarssons one. Unfortunately, you have to go through Europe but its the best. Thin. Warm. Waterproof. Comfortable.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #23
jearnshaw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
thanks for all the info...

What I am going to try Thursday morning is use my cheap fleece balaclava and turn it around backwards and kinda use it as a buff and I picked up a really cheap thin balaclava from River Road to wear under my helmet and I will see how that works.

The BMG jacket does really well keeping the air off of my neck.
jearnshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #24
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,800
I wear one Buff as a helmet liner and another one around my neck and over my face when its cold out. BTW, it's pretty amazing just how well a Buff keeps your face warm, considering how thin it is!

(It's also pretty amazing they can charge twenty bucks for a thin tube of fabric, but I guess I'm a pretty good argument for their pricing strategy: I have 5-6 of these things and use them all the time.)
Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,928
I use my double chin - it's always there when I need it - I never leave it behind - and much though I'd like to, I can't seem to lose the fucker.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #26
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
I use a Touratech balaclava (no, that isn't me in the picture, I am an ugly FF).

It is thin and stretchy, I can pull it up or just leave it around my neck. The best thing about is that I got it for free

It even has a "pirate" setting

1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #27
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMoto View Post
I use a Touratech balaclava (no, that isn't me in the picture, I am an ugly FF).

It is thin and stretchy, I can pull it up or just leave it around my neck. The best thing about is that I got it for free

It even has a "pirate" setting

That would appear to be your basic "Buff", but in the Touratech theme (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #28
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,445
A windstopper fleece neck gaiter and the chin curtain for my helmet do a quite good job at killing the drafts. The gaiter goes over my jacket or vest collar, and the 'Stitch collar gets secured around that. Its all quite effective and cost $15.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #29
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,049
I use the Schampa high neck dickie. I've used various neck gaiters and the famous buff, but none of them compare to this. Because it's a dickie and not just a neck gaiter, it does a far superior job of keeping the wind off of the neck. I usually wear it over my chin. This keeps me warm enough down until about 20 degrees F or so.

Below 20 F or so, I add a very thin balaclava that can be worn under the helmet. I also use a breath box (I actually start using that when it gets below about 40 F) to both cut down on the cold air blowing in my eyes and to avoid fog/frost on the inside of the visor. With the dickie, the thin balacalava, and the breath box, I've ridden down into the single digits at highway speeds. I wouldn't say I did it comfortably... But it works!

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote