User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 540
Dia De Los Muertos

I am on the couch and It occurred to me that I would like to witness a bone fide mexican Dia De Los Muertos celebration. Is there any recommendation on wildness, tameness, naturalness, scenicness,

Anyone know mexican and want to go along......prerequisites...no common sense and a bike that is not worth 10 times an average mexican annual wages.

Raton Hombre,

Vermin
vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #2
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 203
Im in Tj, where are you? so...I sense between that and driving an XRR, I am qualified.
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermin View Post
I am on the couch and It occurred to me that I would like to witness a bone fide mexican Dia De Los Muertos celebration. Is there any recommendation on wildness, tameness, naturalness, scenicness,

Anyone know mexican and want to go along......prerequisites...no common sense and a bike that is not worth 10 times an average mexican annual wages.
Two classic locations for Dia de los Muertos are Patzcuaro and Oaxaca. But the observance is practiced all over Mexico with certain locations having stronger traditions.

While the overall mood of the weekend is one of celebration (parades, festivals etc.) the actual observance in the cemeteries is more reserved and invites in the tourist an attitude of respect towards the families present. There is a bit of a clash of interests in that these vigils attract throngs of visitors who often disregard this advice and advance towards family plots with cameras blazing and a somewhat total lack of respect. This isn't a Mardi Gras type of scene at all but to the uninitiated they may believe it may have that sense.

I won't comment on your phrasing of "knowing mexican" or "prerequisites...no common sense" much less the impression you provide of a motorcycle of questionable road worthiness, but if you do go and you conduct yourself with an attitude of respect you will gain friends and come away with an education into the culture of Mexican family tradition that you won't soon forget.

Suerte
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

R.e.s.p.e.c.t.

My intension is always respect. I have an interest in getting a better understanding of Mexico and Mexicans......as far as a vague request for a compadre with inferior motorcycle? I feel it is disrepectful to ride expensive bikes into an area that may or may not experience hunger and despair. I also have the superstition that nice bikes invite trouble. Superstition mind you, no data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
but if you do go and you conduct yourself with an attitude of respect you will gain friends and come away with an education into the culture of Mexican family tradition that you won't soon forget.

Suerte

vermin screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 06:53 AM
Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuana View Post
Im in Tj, where are you? so...I sense between that and driving an XRR, I am qualified.
I am in Colorado!

I am thinking about blasting down through Big Bend National pPark

vermin screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 06:55 AM
Old 10-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,281
I'd go down to Agua Prieta and take Mex 17 to Hermosillo then Mex 16 across the Sierra. PM if you want more detailed route into.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:12 AM   #7
lunarz
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Nice bike

I have a nice bike that I paid dearly for. I don't own a car, a home, or a stereo or flat screen tv, or a pot to piss in. Everyone's priorities, & aspirations are different. ALL my friends, most of which are Mexican, are happy for what makes me happy, as I am for them, & are looking forward to my safe arrival, as I am. I think it's an insult, to assume they would be insulted,..AND..you should see some of my friend's bikes! Peace
lunarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermin View Post
I feel it is disrepectful to ride expensive bikes into an area that may or may not experience hunger and despair. I also have the superstition that nice bikes invite trouble. Superstition mind you, no data.
IMO (having lived all my life in Latin America and having traveled quite a bit) The thing a lot of people do not seem to understand is that even a relatively cheap bike like the KLR, DR or similar are considered very NICE bikes in Latin America . Something to which an average citizen earning minimum wage can never aspire to have. Do you really think the abundance of small 125-150cc bikes in Latin America is due to the fact that people prefer cheap transportation inside the city? NO! If they could afford it, they would all ride something bigger/flashier/most expensive...

A traveler's attitude towards the locals and other people he meets along the way as well as to the local customs and laws (however little they might be enforced), will cause a greater impact (good or bad) than the bike he/she is riding.

Ride what you enjoy amigo and have a good time meeting new people and seeing new places.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
A traveler's attitude towards the locals and other people he meets along the way as well as to the local customs and laws (however little they might be enforced), will cause a greater impact (good or bad) than the bike he/she is riding.
DING DING DING We have a winner!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote