ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #661
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are all open and ice free as of Saturday afternoon.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #662
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Does anyone have any intel about Old Yosemite Road? I know it's below the snowline but I'm wondering about mud. I was up north of Nevada City last weekend and I tried to go up to Graniteville and the road was really wet and sloppy even though the last rain was a week earlier.

They're giving away tent cabins in Curry Village ($40 for sat. night) So I was going to go down 49 to Coulterville and in on Old Yosemite Road, Sun. I was going to go 120 (if it's open after this thursdays rain/snow) and north on 395 to Monitor.
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #663
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
I was up that way the other day and mud was the last thing on my mind, although the dust has been knocked down a lot it is no where near muddy!!! Not sure what is expected on Thursday, but usually the road is in pretty good shape, it does not see a lot of traffic. I also think they (whoever "they" are) have done some very nice road maintenance on some of the Forest Route Roads. I noticed that they had run a grader on a good portion of the road climbing out of Briceburg. And there seems to be some new signage going up, I think they are cracking down on off-road vehicles traveling on the forest roads and need to sign in order to ticket! But that is just me!

I never made it into Yosemite using Old Yosemite either, so be interesting to hear how it goes, looks like it should not be a problem as most of those Forest Routes up that way are Big Bike Friendly.
bruce

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #664
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

I believe that Old Yosemite Road will not get you into Yosemite. Better get onto 120 for that. I'd call the Stanislaus FS on 120 for best intel. The FS is cracking down on unlicensed vehicles on FS roads. I talked to one FS ranger about this after he wanted to check my plate. The Briceburg switchbacks have been groomed for a few months now.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #665
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,738
I do not think you can get into the park that way either. At least that is where I think I was 3-4 years ago. The road ended at the park boundary, with a 10 ft ditch, a raised log barricade and lots of signs.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #666
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey, thanks for all the responses.

I think the reason for all the mud near Graniteville was there was melting patches of snow on the sides that were keeping the roadway pretty wet. I almost lost the front end at 20 mph and I had the rear wheel spin out twice on short hills and almost lost it so I turned around.

I wasn't aware of the closure at the park entrance. I went the Briceburg way this spring, heading down the switchbacks. I saw the fork to old Yosemite Road, right after Bower Cave, and wanted to try it. But if it's a turn around, I won't even bother.

I'll be riding a KLR so plating isn't a problem, but there's an upward limit of how rough a road I can handle on such a big bike.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #667
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

What is Bower Cave all about? Never heard of it.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #668
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey St Stam,
Well kind of got a little bored today so about noon I took off and rode up through Coulterville and hit Dog-town road and there I was on Bull Creek Road, so I thought I would take Old Yosemite up and see how it was.
Very odd ride, I was all alone but then after climbing up and up above Anderson flats and just when to road is really getting rutted in spots, wamo....a huge road grader is widening the road and softening up everything. If it is to rain tomorrow up there it will be a real mess!!! Then I see a overcrowded Honda CRV bouncing along, they are heading in the direction I just road, no clue where they were heading. When I got to the top there is a five way intersection and Trumball Peak is 9 miles and Anderson Flats is 8 miles (down) but there is another road, and it is paved up there it is marked Forest Service 20. I was running short so I headed to Anderson Flats and home, but would not mind seeing how and where that road goes...I got some pictures i will post later....

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #669
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Stan View Post
Hey, thanks for all the responses.

I think the reason for all the mud near Graniteville was there was melting patches of snow on the sides that were keeping the roadway pretty wet. I almost lost the front end at 20 mph and I had the rear wheel spin out twice on short hills and almost lost it so I turned around.

I wasn't aware of the closure at the park entrance. I went the Briceburg way this spring, heading down the switchbacks. I saw the fork to old Yosemite Road, right after Bower Cave, and wanted to try it. But if it's a turn around, I won't even bother.

I'll be riding a KLR so plating isn't a problem, but there's an upward limit of how rough a road I can handle on such a big bike.

The road is not bad. From where the blockage is, you can see the toll booth. If you could follow the road it would come out 1/2 mile inside the park. It just is not going to happen.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #670
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok I am a little bored lately , comes with the territory....

Put this vid together last night of yesterday little spur of the moment ride...

[IMG][/IMG]

Would not mind doing some more exploring up that way if the weather holds, can't do anything this weekend but maybe next, if anyone is interested....

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #671
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Id like to get up there, not available for two weeks though, maybe the weather will hold?!

What are you riding?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #672
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,552
Nice video, thanks.
We met people in a small passenger car by that grader, they were para sailing down to the valley by anderson flats.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #673
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

I put along on a F800 GS. so nothing super technical

I have seen hang gliders landing in Anderson Flats, did not know where they launched from but that makes sense since it appears there is a paved road all the way up to that ridge.

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 11-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #674
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I put along on a F800 GS. so nothing super technical

I have seen hang gliders landing in Anderson Flats, did not know where they launched from but that makes sense since it appears there is a paved road all the way up to that ridge.
Perfect, I putt on a Tiger, Love to explore up there.

Going on the Fresno BMW shop ride this Sunday, hope they aren't too hard on me riding the competition!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #675
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

That video is really helpful. I've been looking at the Stanislaus Nat'l Forest map, so I was able to recognize a lot of the road numbers you called out.

Bower cave is right after the turn north on Buck Meadows Road, if you're heading east from Coulterville to the switchbacks above Briceburg. It isn't a deep cave system. It's akin to Masonic Caves in Volcanoville, where it's a large outcropping of limestone with some more or less open air chambers on the sides. It's on a short trail up from the road that starts near a stone monument. I passed by but didn't go up as I had heard there was a fence part way up and the cave was on private property.