Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #16
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,208
I brake in turns (without abs) often, you just have to judge the traction limits and not be sudden.
If you HAVE to brake in turns, you are doing it wrong.

Here in the US, we are FREE.
We are free to cut people off, pass on the right, get 4 inches from someones bumper or rear tire at high speed, free to not use signals, or headlights in the rain/dusk with a dark colored car, free to text and drive, eat and drive, fool with the gps.
You are FREE to speed, or go slow in the passing lane, and free to be brain dead and drive.
In NJ, we are now free to drive with no brakes, bald tires, lights out, since they do not inspect cars anymore.
We can also carry guns so when someone does something we do not like, we can shoot them.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 707
Krauts und finns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Big German magazine Motorrad tested in 2010 a VFR1200 ABS braking during cornering in different speeds, and various lean angles. Their conclusion was, that in normal road-riding situations it is clearly an improvement in safety, and that the front does NOT wash out under any sensible lean angles. In fact it never happened to them.

But it's good to also keep in mind: ABS is just a general term for the anti-locking brake system, and there are many different manufacturers as well as many generations of the system used in different decades, not to mention the differences between bikes, tyres, etc. So they will not always function exactly the same way.

I believe all modern ABS systems will help you, if you need to brake hard when leaned over. This test seemed to confirm that.
F*cking Germans!!!

They know about as much about motorcycles as those damn Finns know about rallye driving.

Zey know NUZINK!!!

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #18
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Puke hic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
F*cking Germans!!!

They know about as much about motorcycles as those damn Finns know about rallye driving.

Zey know NUZINK!!!

You muß excusen me...

Sandy is nigh, I am drinking and taping up ze windows.

Ze vife is outgepassed.

God help those who got the full force of her!!!

(I am tempted to go for a gutsy gusty Hellride tomorrow....hangover permitting....).

Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #19
110Mike OP
Lug in my Kop

Oddometer: 97
Feedback

Thanks for all the responses, best wishes, advice.

Dogsroot, the K bikes I think will be too top heavy for me. And methinks I may have had worse foot injury with a K bike. The boxer portrusions gave some protection.

The Ducati, yeah, I drool for suchs bikes, but suspect I will kill myself with suchs a thing.

Anyway, I drool more over Airheads.

I was leaned well over. As I said I ride spirited, slightly more so on this particular day. That particular turn is usually taken at 40mph+. I do recall the bike not falling over much after grabbing front brake.

ABS, fabulous additional safety device that it is, cannot compensate for stupidity. Stupidity was the reason for my faceplant.

It wasn`nt the speed that hurt......It was the sudden stop!

I am the religious type, and I thank God for another chance to ride.

Mike
110Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #20
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,099
Haven't seen anyone single this out, "following a car about a cycle`s length in front of me," even though it could have spared the fall. Following distance, 2 seconds minimum, 3 seconds recommended.

Glad you lived to learn. Heal up quick!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #21
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Cool2 Nice jugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110Mike View Post

Dogsroot, the K bikes I think will be too top heavy for me. And methinks I may have had worse foot injury with a K bike. The boxer portrusions gave some protection.

I was leaned well over. As I said I ride spirited, slightly more so on this particular day. That particular turn is usually taken at 40mph+. I do recall the bike not falling over much after grabbing front brake.

ABS, fabulous additional safety device that it is, cannot compensate for stupidity. Stupidity was the reason for my faceplant.

I know what you're saying re: Airheads/Oioheads;

a pair of jugs are always nice to have around when you're going down.

Used to have an 1100GS. LOVED IT.

Don't test ride a K...

That's how I ended up on the dark side.

As for you're speed in a turn...

...well, now we know what the 110 in your handle refers to!!!!

Alls well that ends well-and you seem to have learned (and shared) a valuable lesson about following distance.

That's what Faceplant is for, right?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #22
110Mike OP
Lug in my Kop

Oddometer: 97
110!

The 110 in my handle actually refers to my Landrover Defender 110 Tdi............. definitely not built for speed, nor does in have any abilities in the way of speed.
110Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #23
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110Mike View Post
The 110 in my handle actually refers to my Landrover Defender 110 Tdi............. definitely not built for speed, nor does in have any abilities in the way of speed.

Well, that explains why you like to go fast on your bikes!!!!

Nice ride. Used to have a '62 88" my sister gave me. Gotta love hand-me-downs.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #24
4D GRIT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I brake in turns (without abs) often, you just have to judge the traction limits and not be sudden.
If you HAVE to brake in turns, you are doing it wrong.

Here in the US, we are FREE.
We are free to cut people off, pass on the right, get 4 inches from someones bumper or rear tire at high speed, free to not use signals, or headlights in the rain/dusk with a dark colored car, free to text and drive, eat and drive, fool with the gps.
You are FREE to speed, or go slow in the passing lane, and free to be brain dead and drive.
In NJ, we are now free to drive with no brakes, bald tires, lights out, since they do not inspect cars anymore.
We can also carry guns so when someone does something we do not like, we can shoot them.