Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #91
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad View Post
Hey I remember you, we did a Cranberry Country Tour, right? Thanks for riding along.
Yup, and I'm still training for more sand riding. That is, if you consider wishing for less sand to be training? Whatever works...

Quote:
Great line from Shawshank Redemption talking about geology and life "it's just pressure and time".

"Gotta keep breathing." anyone know that one?
I was thinking this trip might deserve something more like, "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." Now you'll spend the next two days of riding with Morgan Freeman narrating your every turn.
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #92
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
I forgot the first day of Death Valley, and there's some really cool stuff there too.

Just on the outskirts of the California/Nevada line I stopped to check in with my wife. I didn't remember any cell signal in Death Valley when I was there in 2008, so I wanted to stop while I could and update my wife who has supported my craziness thus far. She informed me that some of the ruins I had been looking for weren't very far away. So, I headed for a ghost town called Rhyolite, one of the largest, well preserved ghost towns in the area.

More on it here if you're interested.

Unfortunately my timing was off and it was a race against the sun to get any pictures.

Sadly, many of these buildings have fences around them, but not all.

Rhyolite was a classic flash in the pan and fell apart almost as quickly as it rose. It's fascinating to poke around the many dirt roads here, but watch your step.

Perhaps the most photogenic, the Cook Bank building seen in many movies including "The Island"

Lastly, I'll leave you with current gas prices in Death Valley. Should make you feel good about whatever you're paying.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #93
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLLTR View Post
Tom Hanks Castaway!

Enjoy your day today.

Ding ding ding! The man knows his movies.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #94
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nictrolis View Post
I was thinking this trip might deserve something more like, "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." Now you'll spend the next two days of riding with Morgan Freeman narrating your every turn.
Damn, that's an earworm that will be hard to shake.

And yeah, that's not too far from the truth. If you're not growing, you're dying.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #95
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Hurry up and wait

Slowing down a bit to let time catch up with me. I'm hoping to visit my uncle Dick near Tuscon, where I'll raid their icebox and leave a ring around their tub they'll be talking about for years. He promised good coffee too and I'm keen to hold him to it.

It's a nice change to feel welcome somewhere, yesterday seemed to get the better of me I'm afraid. I sat outside of McDonalds stealing wifi with parents yanking their kids away from me in a painfully obvious and insulting manner. My hair can't be that bad, can it? Admittedly, I was there for a while staring at a map and GPS trying to find a place to lay my head, covered in 4000 miles of dust, dirt and a few undocumented bug species.

To make things a little more interesting campsites with showers are hard to come by down here. For some reason and I was willing to pay the extra cost for a KOA yesterday until the price climbed to $30 and they didn't seem real friendly toward scooter trash. Payment in full after hours, exact change please.

Aggravated I was determined to find a better place to crash, and for $10 more I found a cheap hotel in Tempe. I felt vindicated and and my attitude improved. I even felt welcome in this run down little hotel. Breakfast left a little to be desired though.

This was their idea of "coffee, juice and pastries" This was the only pastry.
But after driving around Tempe (prounounced 'tempEEE' with a lot of sauce on the ee"

I desperately wanted breakfast, but it was already 10:40, too late for breakfast at my usual. I looked in the GPS and to my amazement there was a Dunkin Donuts only a few miles away. When I got there it had since changed to a pizza joint. Bummer. I pulled in to fuel up and noticed a motorcycle cop. I pulled up and started to chat. Mike was his name and real friendly and very interested in the trip. It really boosted my morale to be reminded of how lucky I was. He retires next year and plans to do exactly what I'm doing, just ride with no plans. Sometimes you get caught up in the routine of anything and forget how lucky you are. Mike was my reminder for the day. Thanks Mike.

Although he pointed me to a less chain oriented caffeine fix, but I really wanted a little slice of home. Success.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #96
ShopBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Great RR

Like a lot of riders, we follow others' RR and hope to emulate them one day. I appreciate your honesty and emotional input to this report. Spiritually we follow you and wish you the best, and hope you find peace and a future purpose that suits you. Lovely photos, good text and honesty. Thank you for sharing this with us. It's a great gift from you to us and I thank you.
ShopBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #97
RTLLTR
RotoTiller!

Oddometer: 744
BBF Cranberry Ride?

Hey Magellan,

Didn't you tell me you wanted to host another BBF cranberry country tour? So hurry home so we can pick a date eh.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #98
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Quick update from Coronoado National Forest

Well, from McDonalds actually, as usual.  Yesterday was a day to catch up on some bike maintenance since I had some time.  I don't like taking things apart when I'm out in the boonies, always seems safer to do it when you have some resources available so while I was in the Tempe area I decided to head for a BMW dealer in case I needed anything.

My real concern was the engine light staying on longer than I remembered so it felt good to plug into the computer and see what she was complaining about.

Photobucket

Nothing really, just an ABS fault from a switch I installed to kill the ABS on the fly. Really glad I installed it too considering how much dirt I've encountered so far.
While I was in there I decided to check things over and I'm glad I did. All these washboards have rattled loose a bolt that holds the fuel tank to the frame. It was probably only one more dirt road away from falling out (the bolt, not the tank).

Photobucket

Lastly on the list was this little gem. When your job every day is riding, you become sensitive to the small changes in the bike. The last day something didn't feel right and I think I found the reason.
Photobucket

Easily fixed with a plug in the parking lot. Tubeless tires are so much better than tubes. This would have been a hassle on another bike.
Photobucket

Arrived at my campsite about 6:45pm and went straight to bed. The evening was filled with cars passing through camp on their way to a penitentiary (didn't learn this until morning). The headlights made interesting shadows in the tent all night.
Photobucket
And just to add a little more excitement I awoke to pack of wild pigs passing through my camp. probably 15-20 of some of the ugliest animals I've ever seen. Of course, no one really looks very handsome in the glare of a flashlight in the middle of the night.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #99
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Mid Trip Numbers

It was a boring ride yesterday so my head started to compile some numbers. In no particular order...

Days traveling - 17
Miles to date - 4270
Average fuel econ - 39.3
Est Fuel consumed - 108.6Gallons
Est Cost of Fuel (based on $3.50) $380.27
Meals eaten to date - 51
Meals eaten with others - 2
Repair costs - $0
Coffee costs - $tilt, recalculating.
Max Temp - 94F
Min Temp - 19F
Days of Rain - 1

This is my usual view whenever I'm stopped.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #100
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopBoy View Post
Like a lot of riders, we follow others' RR and hope to emulate them one day. I appreciate your honesty and emotional input to this report. Spiritually we follow you and wish you the best, and hope you find peace and a future purpose that suits you. Lovely photos, good text and honesty. Thank you for sharing this with us. It's a great gift from you to us and I thank you.
Thanks for that, sometimes when I re-read my posts later I feel like it sounds like a teenage girl on some emotional roller coaster ride. Probably painfully accurate, actually.

I've read a lot of other people ride reports and lots of books on the topic. They range from manly man reports like Striking Viking (Two Wheels Through Terror) and Emilio Scotto (The Longest Ride) to highly entertaining like Lois Pryce (Lois on the Loose) but my favorite is Ted Simon. I really appreciate his honesty. He's not out to impress us, but bring us along for the ride through the ups and downs, courageous and scared moments. I've tried to honor that as best as my inarticulate ability will permit.

P.S. Not to say Lois is anything but honest in her style, really love her stuff. Lois, you rock

Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #101
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLLTR View Post
Hey Magellan,

Didn't you tell me you wanted to host another BBF cranberry country tour? So hurry home so we can pick a date eh.

That's Tommy Boy!

And yes, but fix the thermostat first. I'll be spoiled by these warm temperatures by the time I get home.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #102
BillNighSciGuy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Update?

No updates in a couple days. How are things going, and where are you?
BillNighSciGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #103
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Been following this thread with mixed thoughts about my own self stupidity and fear of doing this myself--

I really respect you for taking the time and being so honest about thoughts and perspectives on it --- I hope this finds you in good health and best of luck searching for the right thought in time and space--(I sound like a druggie)

get it figured out ///////////// I need the thoughts and lessons

Ride Safety
Knightwork

'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)

Knightwork screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 10:52 PM
Knightwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #104
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Sorry for the radio silence, I spent two nights with a uncle outside of Tucson with almost no internet access.

Last night I started east again and found myself near Chiricahua National Monument, in the very southeast of Arizona. I wisely decided to camp inside the park and this morning I fond some really spectacular dirt roads heading east to New Mexico. I stopped for a little breakfast and smelled oil. Not good.

I looked under the bike to see a the rear shock leaking. Ruh roh. I'm a long way from nowhere.

So, I'm in a bit of a bind. I'd rather not buy a new BMW shock, if I'm going to spend the money, then I'd rather buy aftermarket, but finding one of those in the middle of nowhere will be tough. I'm not sure how far I can go on this one before it becomes a pogo stick.

So anyone know where I can find a used rear shock for short money?

Currently in Lordsburg, NM

Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #105
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
So, I'm in a bit of a bind. I'd rather not buy a new BMW shock, if I'm going to spend the money, then I'd rather buy aftermarket, but finding one of those in the middle of nowhere will be tough. I'm not sure how far I can go on this one before it becomes a pogo stick.

So anyone know where I can find a used rear shock for short money?

Currently in Lordsburg, NM
I can't offer a solution, but I like the method you're using to justify an upgrade: Ride to Failure!!! :-)
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote