Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #31
Kurt V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Nice write up and that is just a great looking R65!
1976 Honda CB400F Original Survivor
1973 Honda CL350
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #32
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 703
Thanks, all!

Unfortunately, I was not able to ride in yesterday. I began the startup process and as I was doing so, noticed a huge (and growing) puddle of fuel on my left foot. The left carb was leaking gas like crazy. When I cleaned the carb, I didn't do a thorough replace of all the pieces, so I suspected it was the float needle. Sure enough, it was worn to the point of not sealing. And because I don't know how old the floats really are, just decided to do a "real" rebuild.

So I pushed the bike back into the garage and took the Mustang to work (which is also quite a bit of fun!) I ordered a complete rebuild kit from Bing yesterday and plan on tearing the carbs down again this weekend. This time I'll replace everything and start from scratch.

azcycle screwed with this post 11-16-2011 at 08:35 AM
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #33
Sergeant Joe
Sitrep=Snafu

Oddometer: 244
Very nice mate.
Sergeant Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #34
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Carb kits didn't arrive on Saturday when I thought they would. With family in town, I doubt I'm going to get to the carbs before Thanksgiving. Bummer... another week with no riding!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #35
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

It's alive!

I tore into the carbs again yesterday while my wife and mother went Christmas shopping and my father was involved in a good book. I saw that I didn't clean them as well as I should have the first time, so they got another cleaning, and with all new o-rings, floats, pins, etc. I was hoping for a quick start.

Hooked 'em up, turned on the gas and proceeded to watch fuel pour down the left carb and onto the garage floor, just as before. I did some inspecting and noticed that the tiny piece of original braided fuel line below the "T" that feeds the left carb was soaking wet. Fuel was then flowing down around the carb bowl, which is what originally led me to think the floats were shot and overflowing the bowl. But on closer inspection, the hose had been kinked over the years and had split. I just couldn't see it under the braiding. I replaced it with some new line, adjusted the settings, and she fired up and ran right away. Took her around the block once or twice to tweak settings.

So happy! She shifts great, and pulls STRONG. Those carbs were obviously in great need of rebuilding. Back brake still sucks. New braided front brake lines are so much better!

Just in time... going to ride to work tomorrow!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #36
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
No more updates?

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #37
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Sorry, I've been having too much fun riding! The "new" transmission feels pretty good, even missing a shift here and there ... mostly due to user-error (I hope). I've yet to drain the fluid and check for metally-bits, though that is going to happen soon. I still need to have a friend fabricate a Trailtech/ignition lock/key mount so I can get it installed. Need to do that soon, and when I do, I'll post up here.

The only negative from all of this is the damn valve covers. They've warped enough that both sides just drip oil constantly. Each time I park it at work, it leaves two half-dollar sized oil drip stains on the concrete and for now, I've just been putting two small plastic cups under each side when I park it at night. When I go to adjust valves in the near future, I'll make sure to sand 'em down flat and/or get thicker gaskets.

I did show it at the local Tucson Vintage Motorcycle show... it was in good company (second row, left):

Thanks for the continued interest!

azcycle screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 04:50 PM
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #38
victor850r
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hi i got the same bike it was heritage from grandpa, So im triying to bring from death the r65 1981
but i notice the is no spark at the spark plugs and besides that the starter sounds like machine gun trrrrrrrrr trrrrrrrrr trrrrrrrr. I can see under the starter plastic cover that the flying wheel gear spins, but no spark in the spark plugs,
do you think it can be because a bad fuse? or bad connection, or should i go straight to halls sensor?

NOTE: when the spark plugs are out side the holes while they are attached to spark plug cables, they are loosen over the heads dancing around, no start button activated, there i can see some
sparks in the spark plugs. I hope you guys could give to me some ideas or links to read about this kind of issue.

thnx

victor850r screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 08:17 PM
victor850r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #39
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor850r View Post
Hi i got the same bike it was heritage from grandpa, So im triying to bring from death the r65 1981
but i notice the is no spark at the spark plugs and besides that the starter sounds like machine gun trrrrrrrrr trrrrrrrrr trrrrrrrr. I can see under the starter plastic cover that the flying wheel gear spins, but no spark in the spark plugs,
do you think it can be because a bad fuse? or bad connection, or should i go straight to halls sensor?

NOTE: when the spark plugs are out side the holes while they are attached to spark plug cables, they are loosen over the heads dancing around, no start button activated, there i can see some
sparks in the spark plugs. I hope you guys could give to me some ideas or links to read about this kind of issue.

thnx
I'm not much of an expert so I think your best bet is to start a new thread with your problems. I'm sure some of the airhead experts here will be along to help you. You need three things to start: Air, Fuel, and Spark. Make sure you're getting all three before you go chasing potential issues. Good luck!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #40
mrbindc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Since you're getting some spark, try this simple test to figure out the electrics. Make sure your spark plug is securely fastened to the cylinder with a bungee or something similar, you need a solid ground for the spark plug or you could damage the ignition module.

Hall Sensor Test
Kill switch on, well grounded spark plug visible, then switch the kill button off and on a few times. If it will spark with the kill button, but NOT with the starter button, that means there is no signal coming from the bean can, but the other components (coil, control unit & wire connections) are all capable of function.
mrbindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #41
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Haven't had a chance to ride the r65 much lately with house renovations, plumbing problems, and a new addition:

Max was born October 22nd at 10:33am (four days ahead of schedule). I'm barely awake enough to type. But I did change the oil and transmission fluid on the BMW, which is the first time since I installed the used transmission. Guess it could be worse, but it does look like the trans is starting to shred metal a bit more than it should be. Only a couple slivers that were more than fuzz, but still doesn't look good to me.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #42
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Congrats on baby Max! Kids are a blast, enjoy every minute. Every time my 3 year old daughter walks by my project BMW she says, "Daddy, we're going to ride that together someday, right?" - to which I always reply, "of course, baby", unless my wife is near, and then I say, "no baby, motorcycles are dangerous" and wink at her. She knows!

Beautiful R65 too - it's one of the best I've seen. Enjoy both and ride safe!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote