Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #46
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by africadero View Post

PS: I wanted to attach a pic, but that option is gone, can somebody explain what I'm doing wrong?
Nothing - that option was removed. If you wish to display a photo you need an external third party hosting site (eg: SmugMug, Picasa (google/free), umm whatever else there is).
Old 11-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #47
nishgriff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
650 Dakar

I rode a 650 Dakar for four years, more than 50k miles through Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, Central America, amd South America. Everywhere I went, in the most hardcore places there were locals riding 50cc scooters through the same terrain, often with families on board that weighed more than my gear. I saw people doing prudhoe to Ushuaia on '74 XL 250s. I saw a guy on an old 250cc Honda cruiser bike ride though a 3' river crossing without batting an eye.

My bro rides an 800gs. Do I like riding the 800? Yeah, sure; it's a great bike. Do you need a big adventure bike to travel or ride? No. I sold my Dakar and bought a scrambler because I like it better. I think you should ride what you want. If you are concerned about it being a noob bike or a women's bike I'd say you're riding for the wrong reasons. I know short guys who ride 1200's and buy their wives 800's and say that the 800 is a girl's bike. Neither of them fit their bikes, and neither can pick the bike up if they drop it.

In the end motorcycling is about doing something you love, buy the bike you love. Or at least the one you can afford :-)
nishgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #48
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
I got a new F800GS about a month ago. I am coming back to riding after a long absence at 65yo. Honestly the bike is probably too big for me, but I do want the off road capability and decided to go for it. The seat is pretty tall on the 800GS and I'm still getting used to stopping and getting my feet on the ground so I'm stable. I am also getting some practice picking it up, not quite there yet but close. I think it is going to be a great bike for what I want to do, but it's not for everyone. Really the thing I didn't like about the 700 was the wheels, I never considered it a newbie or girl bike.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #49
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,618
I think you hit the nail on the head when you asked if it is like the Sportster with HD. There are a lot of guys who own the big GS, and their wife wants a matching bike. Down at the BMW dealer, they ask "What's the smallest bike I can get that looks like my husband's?" It isn't a small bike, but compared with it's bigger counterparts, it may seem so. If you ride with a bunch of guys riding 1200 GSA's, you will likely get the "girls bike" comment, but you can exact revenge by taking them on the technical trails. If all your buddies ride DRZ400 or DR650's, they'll think you're a Manly Man.

I hear a few more comments about the BMW's needing repairs than say the Triumph 800XC, but that is likely because there are more of them on the road. I personally like the looks of the 800XC over the BMW but I think either would be a fine choice for a mid-sized adventure bike. I'm gradually turning my Dorsoduro into one, but it will never be as capable off road as either of the bikes you're looking at.

You may want to look at the weight and horsepower of each bike, as part of your decision making process.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote