Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #136
ledude03
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Many thanks for the clarification on calf size its what i was looking for and also on the waterproofness of the boot, this boot looks like it will fit the bill.
thanks again Lee
ledude03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #137
ledude03
n00b

Oddometer: 5
waterproofness

Purchased these boots at the begining of the week must say very nice boot well put together look good fit well, only downside is i was out today in the rain and to my disapointment they leak really badly right boot more so than left, so i have emailed the supplier to see what they say, may just be a faulty pair
ledude03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #138
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 759
I had the same issue twice with that brand.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #139
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtp4 View Post

They do run slightly smaller than other gaernes,.....if you do not size correctly i can see how it could be perceived as a width issue.

That said, they are not as wide as the gaerne balance oiled

thanks,

bp
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtp4 View Post

afa waterproof-ness, gaerne's waterproof membrane and their assembly are excellent. We did a submersion test on these a while back, which is at least 30 minutes in standing water, and no leaks. They should be completely waterproof for you

that said, at eight hours of rain, the boot shell will soak, which will draw body heat out of your feet, and may also make condensation inside the wp membrane. In other words, it is possible for your feet to become wet from this, without the membrane leaking, no matter what boot you get, it is a really good idea to put seam sealer on seams and coat the shell with water repellent coating.

Hope that helps.

Bp
I thought I’d chime in again, after nearly a year in the G-Midland, and a few years in the Balance Oiled. I agree with Brian's input above, very knowledgeable guy!

I switch between the G-Midland and the Balance Oiled for ‘adventure’ and DS riding.

As stated they both use an “Aquatech” waterproof membrane, and have a lugged sole. They are both very comfortable for all day use and walking / hiking, the Balance being the most comfortable boot I have worn. Either one of these boots could be a “do it all” boot.

As stated, the G-Midland has more protection around the foot, ankle and heal, as a result the ‘G’ is slightly stiffer when new (not a bad thing). I found that the ‘G’ fits slightly tighter and I need to wear a thin sock. Even though the toe box is roomier (width) in the Balance, I found it is easier to get the boot under the shifter on my street bikes, as the toe section is slimmer (height) than the G-Midland. This is easily solved by adjusting the shifter height.

I really like the ‘goodyear welt’ style stitching around the sole, this is a must have boot feature for me. Among other things it helps when hiking up or across hills, because you can dig the boot into the dirt better. Check out a Tech 3 or Tech 7 or tech 10, they all have rounded / molded soles which don’t help at all when trying to climb a hill in the dirt. You will slip and fall on your ass when trying to pick up your bike on a hill.

Another important feature I found, since the Balance is designed as a Trials boot it has a more supportive mid sole (less flex over the foot peg) and the sole is flat, which I really like. This becomes apparent if you stand more than 50% of the time on the bike. I’m not sure if they both have a steel shank, but it sure feels like the Balance does.

Another nice thing is the straps on the SG10, SG12, Balance, and G-midland are interchangeable! I recently broke one on my Balance, and was able to replace it with a spare SG10 strap.

Whitney
Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #140
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 490
Great boot thread.

My question to the experienced Gaerne boot riders is about heat. I ride the desert west most of the time. My current boots get my feet hot in the summer. I know BP said to get boots not water proof but what say you?

Do you guys think the Gaerne Oiled or G-Midland boots are not a good choice for hot desert riding?
Thanks KJ
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #141
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Great boot thread.

My question to the experienced Gaerne boot riders is about heat. I ride the desert west most of the time. My current boots get my feet hot in the summer. I know BP said to get boots not water proof but what say you?

Do you guys think the Gaerne Oiled or G-Midland boots are not a good choice for hot desert riding?
Thanks KJ
Mine have never leaked and I've stood in deep water at river crossings. In my opinion, they do run hot. I'm in the south and during the summer, my feet can sweat. For me, fit was #1, followed by weather proofing and then ventilation. The last two are pretty close. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a boot that was perfect. The Midland is as close as I've ever gotten.
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #142
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
I just read this whole post. It looks like the G-Midland might be my next boot. I bought the G-Adventure last year. And after breaking in, they are to soft and wimpy for me.. I really enjoy standing on the pegs on road and off road. There are days I might stand a good part of 4-5-6-7 hours.... The G-Adventure is to flexy and not supportive enough for standing that long.... I have considered the SG-10 but its not "water proof" from everything Ive read, and I dont want to keep up with any gore-tex socks...... For the guys that own the G-midland, what are your thoughts on comfort standing on the pegs for extended periods of time... ?

The only walking I do in my 'ADV' boots is to get gas, and walk across the street to a restaurant or something similar. I do ride around the country on the ADV bike and try and find as much off road as possible..

For the posters on this post, here is my question.. These are the boots im considering now and need something with a stiffer sole for all day ADV riding..

1) G-midland
2) SG-10 (not water proof, and maybe to stiff for all day high-way use ? )
3) SIDI adventure

Could you please give me your suggestion... Thanks
Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #143
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Tabasco,
I have the SG12, SG10, the Balance Oiled and G Midland. (Listed in order of foot bed stiffness.)
I like them all. But for all day standing on an ADV bike I choose the Balance Oiled Boots.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #144
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,965
NW, thanks for the comments, but I am going to respectfully disagree. I went to the shop to compare, and the Midlands are definitely more rigid. Mostly this is due to the Midlands stiffer sole compound, whereas the Balance has a soft natural rubber outsole. The lugging on the Midland adds slightly to the rigidity, especially the stepped heel. Third, the Midland has plastic toe protectors on the top of the forefoot, which adds to the bend resistance at the toe.

That said, the Balance are NOT flexy / floppy, and also good for standing on the pegs. Probably more comfortable too, because of the leather and the more simple design.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #145
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Bp,
Yes, I reread my post. Maybe I could have chosen my words more carefully. I was on my phone.

The leather and upper portions of the G Midland are more robust and solid. There is more layering of leather and protective features. The boots do feel "stiffer", but it is a relative term.

I was trying to address TABASCO's question about standing on the pegs for hours on end, which I have done in both the Balance and the Midland. Right after I got the Midlands last march I rode through 4 deserts of Socal in 13 days and spent alot of time standing.

My personal opinion is the Balance provides a better platform for standing on the pegs, as I stated a few posts up. I feel this is do to its Trials heritage.

Maybe I can take a pic to show what I'm talking about.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #146
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
Thanks guys for your input... I have read for years about the oiled balance boot.. I tried it on last week and it was probably the MOST comfortable boot I have ever put on, period... But, for me there is no way I can stand on the pegs all day with this boot... My Gaerne G-Adventures have more stricture to them than the oiled balance boot.. I have already turned a friend onto the Oiled balance boot for all day comfort.. IMOP, if you stand on the pegs for hours on end, these are just to soft.. I need something much more rigid in the sole and maybe some ankle protection. That's why I have kept going back and leaning toward the SG -10.... Unfortunately I cant keep buying all the boots 'I would like to try', and then hope to fine the right one... :) I just ask as many questions as possible... I know boots are on par with the "oil " topic, but I do like to hear and learn from others that have tried many of these boots.............. Do the Midlands have a stiffer sole than the G-Adventure?

Thanks again....
Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #147
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Does anyone know for sure if the G-Midland have a shank, steel or otherwise?

I love my Balance Oileds but want to keep them for trials; that softer sole is fantastic for feel in sections but I hate to "waste" it on dual sport rides.

And, I want more protection on DS rides for higher speed uh, "bike naps". The G-Midland sounds very good for the type of riding I do but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to the shank question.

thanks!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #148
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilliejacques View Post
Does anyone know for sure if the G-Midland have a shank, steel or otherwise?

I love my Balance Oileds but want to keep them for trials; that softer sole is fantastic for feel in sections but I hate to "waste" it on dual sport rides.

And, I want more protection on DS rides for higher speed uh, "bike naps". The G-Midland sounds very good for the type of riding I do but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to the shank question.

thanks!
Hello tilliejacques.

The G-Midland is more rigid in the midsole than the Balance, but does not have a steel shank. I do not know of any dual sport, adventure touring, or touring boots that do.

My feeling is that you might be better off with one of the softer MX boots (as opposed to a stiffer DS boot). For more aggressive terrain and / or riding, the additional height and plastic is a really, really good idea, and if you choose model carefully they can still be reasonable to walk in.

Tabasco, I don't disagree with your decision to wear SG10s, more protection is always better. That said, the G-Midland is much stiffer than the Balance....but both are MUCH stiffer than the Adventure. In our findings, the G-Adventure is very, very soft, too soft in our opinion for anything other than very light offroad (if that). Sole, ankle, toe, the G-Adventure is really soft....to the point we call each customer that orders them to make sure they are aware of this.

The Balance is a step firmer than the Adventure especially at the sole, because of its Goodyear welt construction. The Midland is a good step more rigid than the Balance, especially at the ankle.

Adventure: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...oots_p_81.html

Balance: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-Ba...oots_p_79.html

Midland: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...ots_p_351.html

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #149
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
I had a few conversations with Brian on what boots he recommends for my type of DS/ADV riding (camping off a F800GS on easy dirt roads and two tracks, riding to Alaska, etc...all my rougher off road riding boot needs are fulfilled by a seat of heavy Sidi Flex Force MX style boots), and narrowed it down to the Gaerne Balance Oiled and the Gaerne G-Midland. I ordered both from Brian so I could try them on and compare the two.

I will agree that all of Brian's comments in this thread are spot on, so I won't reiterate all of his points.

I have a thin build (5'11", 160 lbs) and therefore do not have this skinny calf issue. Therefore, I noticed that the Balance needed to be cranked down almost to the max on the upper most buckle for my calfs. Most of my riding in these boots will be with knee pads in the pants (not the strap on knee/shin guard style), and I ride with dress socks (pack lighter and dry faster when doing laundry on the road). They would work for skinny calfs, but just an observation. The Balance are very comfy, but I do like the more protective G-Midland since I am on a big 400+ pound bike. I would almost consider the Balance as a perfect touring/light DS boot though.

The G-Midland will close up around my skinny calfs with less effort. The velcro is maxed out, but there is no need to crank the top velcro closure down tight. The G-Midlands came out a little loose but I found that by stacking another thin insole in there, they are perfect. So now all I need to do is find a quality insole to add to the boot (the stock insoles are very basic and thin) and it should be perfect.

I will post up thoughts in a few months after I get more miles on them. Thanks again to Brian, he was very informative and helpful on my questions about boots.
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #150
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Thumb

Based on this thread and a conversation with Brtp4, I ordered the G-Midland in a 42 since I wear a Balance Oiled 41. The G-Midlands fit perfectly! I was even able to take out the removable insoles and put in green SuperFeet ones. The buckles and velcro tops adjust easily, the front of the ankle flexes nicely for walking, the sole is stiffer (than the Balance) so feels great on the pegs (just standing so far (yeah with grocery bags on to protect the boots in case they didn't feel right), not riding). The materials and finish is superb.

Yep, pretty much the same as what everyone else has said.

Haven't been able to ride yet since we've gotten too much snow recently but can't wait! Well, of course I can't wait to ride but now even more so with these awesome boots. My husband was pooh-poohing any other boot than the Balance and, now that he's seen the G-Midlands, is wildly jealous . Hm, his birthday's in April; I think I have an idea...

thanks Brtp4!

cheers