Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Adamsfield

2012-10-15 Adamsfield and Clear Hill

Distance: 326km

Adamsfield is an old osmiridium mining town which had a population of around 1000 people in the early 1900's... (Current population zero)... Osmiridium was rare and was worth about 7 times as much as gold when the mining boom started...You can read more about it here: http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=2526

I walked into Adamsfield in the late 80's in the middle of summer, while wandering around the old town site I lost the track and spent the next couple of hours trying to get back to the main track without getting bitten by a snake.... In summer the place is lousy with snakes, I saw hundreds... I always planned to head back out there in cooler weather for a better look around, it's just taken me 20+ years to do it....

Adamsfield is a conservation area, locked up behind gates, you have to get keys from Parks and Wildlife at Mt Field, and pay a $300 key deposit... (or leave them with a credit card imprint for $300, which they tear up when you return the key)... There are no fees and you don't need a parks-pass...

The trip started with an hours ride on sealed roads out to Mt field to get the permit and keys, then another 45 mins to the Clear Hill Rd turn off... (I originally planned to access Adamsfield via the Saw Back Range 4x4 track, but I was informed at Mt Field that the track is closed over winter so it doesn't get too chewed up)...

Area map:

Stolen from: http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=2534

The view over Lake Gordon from the southern end of Clear Hill Rd:

The gate at the Clear Hill Rd end of Adamsfield:

One of the best Government signs I've ever seen.... They usually want to wrap us in cotton-wool...
This area is only suitable for experienced visitors fully prepared to face and meet all challenges.
You must be properly prepared to meet those hazards on their own terms. This is your responsibility

To start with I just cruised through from one end to the other, the track gradually gets worse, with longer and deeper waterholes towards the end: A 13min video:

Some pics around the 1960's open cut mine:

Some mining relics:

More to come... ... .. .
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #17
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Adamsfield Continued... .. .

From there I headed back towards the town site... Then down the Saw Back track...

The way the Parks person at Mt Field spoke about the Saw Back track, ("it's locked up over winter"), I assumed it was gated, so I went down there for a look, I figured I'd just turn around at the gate, which I later discovered doesn't exist at this end...

Some pics from along the Saw Back track:

Lots of interesting big chunks of conglomerate:

A 14 min video heading along the Saw Back Track:

(Keep in mind the GoPro camera makes everything look flat and benign, it's a fairly gnarly track)

It was clear by this stage there was no gate at this end of the track, I got carried away and went further than I expected to go, about 1/2 way along.... The track was getting pretty crappy so I figured I should turn around... Since I wasn't actually meant to be down there, and the track was "closed", if something happened to me I'd be in the shit...

Heading back towards Adamsfield:

I got back to the main Adamsfield track and headed for the settlement/town area, a side track caught my eye so I poked down there for a look, not far down I came to this:

I think I read somewhere "Do not leave mapped tracks" so I figured I should turn around rather than chew up the creek... In the process of turning around.... ooops:

A 1 min video:

The Mighty Tenere copped a battle scar, the steel tip on my boot grazed the tank:

More to come.... ... .. .
Old 10-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

From there I headed back to the Clarks Huts where I stopped on the edge of the creek for lunch:

What a glorious spot!

The huts were built in the mid 1940s by Norm Clark who was mining here at that time:

A 30 sec video of the creek: (first time I've used the camera off my helmet)

From there I headed back to the town site for a wander around, then back out to the gate...

To be continued... .. .
Old 10-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #19
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

I turned right out of Adamsfield along Clear Hill Rd to explore the eastern side of Lake Gordon... Not far along the road there's a bridge and a bit of a waterfall:

Now it's just heaps of pics of the views:

Lake Gordon is a man-made lake, it was dammed in 1974, pics of the dam wall are on the previous page....
It has a surface area of 272 km2 (105 sq mi), with storage capacity of 12.5 km3 (3.0 cu mi) of water:

Amazing the amount of work that went into building this logging road!

A 6 min video down to the lake:

It almost looks like a castle

Quite a few old logging huts out here:

On the way out I almost hit a wombat, thankfully the Tenere has good brakes I only just missed him
A 15 second video:

With the huge size of the trees... the mountains... the lake.... it made me feel fairly insignificant...

Then it was just a leisurely cruise back to Mt Field to drop off the key, then home...

They'll re-open the Saw Back track soon so I'll return and do that in the not too distant future

Old 10-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #20
Mack_PauL
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Wow! FLICKIT, very good RR, incredibly awesome ... thanks for taking us on a trip we'd otherwise never get to see!

(Really inspires my saving up for a Tenere)
Mack_PauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

2012-10-23 Waddamana

Distance: 631km

Route:

A handful of pics:

FLICKIT screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 03:05 AM
Old 10-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
timbrell
Explorer

Oddometer: 45
Love your RRs Flickit

Keep them coming, mate.
Terrific photos. You're doing the trail marking for all of us in Tassie
What's the story with the bush bashing car?
Tim
" To get back my youth, I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."
timbrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #23
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 433
Still enjoying your reports.

Keep 'em coming..

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer: 1,406
Saw Back track

Nice ride reports fella, so, what's your thoughts on doing said track on a 950 katie by a fairly experienced rider, athough I usually give up before the bike does but I do have a 520 I could cart down, just have to do a lot more tracks to make the trip from the norf east worthwhile.
PS I think the wombat might have come out better than you.....
Old 10-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #25
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbrell View Post
Keep them coming, mate.
Terrific photos. You're doing the trail marking for all of us in Tassie
What's the story with the bush bashing car?
Tim
Thanks..

The car was off the side of the Marlborough Hwy (Tassies only dirt Hwy)... It wasn't till I got off the bike I realized the trees had been down for a few days, or more... It looked like they hit pretty hard, and by the red front on the car it looks like it wasn't their first crash... It seems they've abandoned it...

Nice tree imprint in the number plate:

Lucky they had airbags:

Not a fan of checking wrecks

Here's another scarier one from near Little Swanport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc1TP0jn42M

I assume the cars would have been removed by the police if there was any serious injuries...
Old 10-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #26
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmgeoff View Post
Nice ride reports fella, so, what's your thoughts on doing said track on a 950 katie by a fairly experienced rider, athough I usually give up before the bike does but I do have a 520 I could cart down, just have to do a lot more tracks to make the trip from the norf east worthwhile.
PS I think the wombat might have come out better than you.....
Thanks

I only did the northern end of the Saw Back track, which the 4x4 people say is the worse part, and I'm confident you'll have no issues on the 950...
(The 950 seems to be a similar size and weight as the Tenere, and more capable)

I called Parks and Wildlife on Tuesday about it, they were heading out on Wednesday to check for fallen trees and such... They told me to call back tomorrow to find out when they'll start handing the key out again...

I'll report back on the condition of the rest of the track in the next couple of weeks...

:)
Old 11-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 342
Hi Flickit, I plan to use the trust iPhone for navigation to......when I get one that is. Can I ask we're you got the maps from or more like where to find them.

Btw keep the RR coming they are great, once I have GPS I'll be doing some more exploring, they take the lost factor out

Cheers
Jason

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #28
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
Hi Flickit, I plan to use the trust iPhone for navigation to......when I get one that is. Can I ask we're you got the maps from or more like where to find them.

Btw keep the RR coming they are great, once I have GPS I'll be doing some more exploring, they take the lost factor out

Cheers
Jason
Hi Windy, I use the Memory-Map app, I did a long-winded post about it the other day in this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post19930487

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
I've used Bitmap a fair bit on my iPhone 3GS... It's good for my old Oziexplorer maps (a lot are Tassie topo 100k and 25k maps that I had as JPG files and converted to ozi files)

I found Bitmap a bit buggy for saving long routes, it often froze up and crashed when the route got to around 2000 points (on the iPhone 3GS)... I tinkered with quite a few other appz and the only one I found that suited me was:

Memory-Map:
http://memory-map.com.au/

It's a bit of a steep learning curve to get the most out of it, but I think most mapping applications are like that...

I use it on my PC and iPhone.. They have Android and WinCE versions too.... All versions are free I think, except for the iPhone/ipad version which is $7:50 now, it use to be free but they had issues with Apple (it's free if you phone is jailbroken)

You can buy state topo maps, and hema 4x4 maps through it, but they aren't cheap... around $150 for a license to use a state map-set on 2 PC's and 2 mobile devices I think...

I use the free "Aus Topo250" maps, they show most the roads and tracks down here, but not all..... I'm too cheap to spend the money on the 100k and 25k maps.... If I need more detail I open Bitmap and use the maps I have in that... (and leave Memory-Map in the background recording my route)

It records the route as a GPX file, I upload them to "Ridewithgps" to embed in ride reports... (look at the links in my sig for embedded examples, or> http://ridewithgps.com/trips/970892 )
(I usually save a KML version of the route from Ridewithgps also, I open, then save them, in Google earth, it's handy for route planning)

The mobile versions of MM use GPX files, but the free PC version wont open them, you have to pay for a $125 upgrade to be able to open them (the upgrade also allows you to import and calibrate other map types and images)... Being cheap I use a free utility, GPSBabel, to convert the GPX files into a MMO (memory map overlay) file, which can be opened in the free PC version of MM... (I like to load all my routes into th PC version so I can see where I've been and plan future rides while looking at the same maps I use on the road)

You can download "map packs" to pre-load onto the phone... or MM can download them as you need them.... (if you have phone reception) ... You can just scroll the map around while you're at home so it downloads the areas you need for a trip...

I wanted to pre-load the whole free "Aus Topo250" map of Australia onto my phone so I don't have to rely on mobile reception or pay for data costs...., so on the PC software, I zoomed out as far as I could, then just dragged the map around till it downloaded the whole map of australia, then copied the 850meg "Topo250-2.qct", and "Topo250-2.qc3" files from "C:\Maps\DMS\Australia\Topo250" (the folder where the maps are stored), and saved them onto the iphone through iTunes... (there's tutorials on how to do this that probably explain it better than I can)

I never really worked out how to pre-plan routes in the Memory-map PC app.. I just use RidewithGPS to create routes, then save them as GPX files to load onto the phone through itunes...

MM on the iPhone:

(I leave all my old tracks/routes on the phone, I just set them as orange so they blend in with the roads on the map... Handy for when I've used unmapped roads, it's basically like adding roads to the map)

The PC app showing some of my tracks: (the screen-shot quality is pretty poor, fairly compressed, I didn't want to load this thread up with HUGE images)

A couple of random areas to show the detail of the free "Aus Topo250" maps:

A years worth of tracks/routes, most recorded on MM, then used on Google Earth:

No doubt there's better applications out there, but, as a (basically) free mapping solution this works for me, it runs well on the iphone, which is also playing music ALL the time, and it continues running in the background if you want to use other applications at the same time...

(BTW, I'm not a fan of Apple, the iphone is a hand-me-down from a relative that works for a phone company, they upgrade every few months)
From what someone else said in that thread, it doesn't run too well if you use the 100k or 25k maps, I can't confirm this as I haven't used them, but it's fine with the free 250k maps... They show most roads/tracks, and that's what I use most the time, it's just when you get into the large forests that have a maze of tracks that more detail is handy, MM generally shows the main tracks through the forests, just not all the minor tracks...

Another screen shot to show the detail up your way:

:)
Old 11-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #29
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Another little mod:

I've been a bit concerned about how vulnerable the water pump is, the Yamaha alloy skid-plate offers no protection, the pump hangs out the side... (the waterpump already has a couple of dings from rocks being thrown up by the knobbies)... Damage from dropping it in rocky terrain is also a concern....

I've got some SW crash bars on the way, I'll install them before deciding what to do about long term pump protection...

For a bit of short-term protection I've done this...

No doubt some paint will be worn off by dust/gravel/mud sitting between the pump and the rubber, but that doesn't worry me...

I've done 1 gnarly ride since doing this, the rubber is a bit scuffed so I think it is worthwhile protection for "me"... I dropped the bike a few times but it was always to the left, so the left case is a bit scuffed and missing paint... By the damage to the left I'm confident if I had fallen to the right the rubber would have helped reduce potential damage.. .

Paranoid? maybe
Old 11-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #30
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Saw Back Ridge Track

2012-10-29 Saw-Back
Odo Distance: 294 km

Since doing the ride out to Adamsfield I've been itching to do the Saw Back Track, it's the alternate Adamsfield access track, it's closed over winter so it doesn't get too chewed up... Early in the week I called Parks and Wildlife to find out when it would be re-opened, they were heading out there on Wednesday to clear any fallen trees and said it "should" be open after that....

Friday I woke at about 3am, I couldn't get back to sleep, and I had no plans for the day, so I decided to head out to Mt Field, and if the Saw Back track was open, grab the key and go do it... I originally planned to find someone to come along with me on this ride for safety, but I don't really know anyone, and I was reluctant to drag someone of unknown ability into a potentially hard area.... I didn't want to get someone else in trouble, or have to turn back at the first obstacle.. So off I went, solo as usual...

The Saw Back track is considered fairly hard, I was under the impression the northern end was the worse part, I did that bit a couple of weeks ago with no problems, so I figured the rest would be no issue:
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=2522
"4WD access is provided by the Saw Back track. People using this route must be experienced four-wheel drivers with high clearance vehicles. There is a particularly steep and slippery section on the Saw Back track just before it joins the Adamsfield track."

Route:

I couldn't find any info about what time the visitor center at Mt Field opened, but since they close at 3pm, I figured they must be open fairly early... I was wrong, I got up there around 7:30am only to find they don't open till 9:30... To waste some time I rode the 16 km road up Mt Field to Lake Dobson/Fenton and back. (52 to 83km on the route)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt_Field_National_Park
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=3589

Lake Fenton:

I still had a bit of time to waste so I headed across the road from Mt Field and up Cassons Rd and poked around Blue Top Rd and the other forestry tracks around there... (85km to 100km on the route)

Some of the tracks are good, some are a bit crappy and interesting:

(I didn't take many photos so I'll just use some GoPro video screenshots to fill in the gaps)

Arrived back at Mt Field at 9:30 to be told the computer still shows the Saw Back track as closed ... She went and checked with someone else and returned with the key and permit forms in hand, it was open Filled out the forms and left them with a $300 credit card imprint for the key deposit.... and off I went

The Saw Back runs off Gordon River Rd at 147km on the route:

The first part of the track was pretty good, but it wasn't long before it turned into VERY slippery clay with 4x4 trenches up each side...

It seems safer to stay in the trenches rather than balancing on the slippery ridge in the middle, but when you're in the trenches you have to deal with all the over grown trees, and try not to pin a leg between the bike and the bank at the side... Through the day I often tried to ride the center part of the road, it was faster, but generally ended in a drop...

It wasn't long before we were laying down for a rest

Part A, a 10 min video of the start of the track, it's starts getting crappy towards the end, with the drop in the last min of the video:

I was having to lug the engine more than I would like, I've still got the original gearing, it wasn't ideal, the slowest it would go was still too fast... (I have a 14 tooth sprocket on order, which will help)

The clay was evil stuff, it wasn't long before the Tenere was laying down again:

(Being so tall and heavy, once it starts to go down, there's no stopping it)

Saw Back Track B, about 10 mins, more clay, ending at the dreaded bog hole, a drop about 2 mins in, excuse the girlie giggling, I knew it was going to happen:

(after the second drop I discovered the key needs turning off and back on, after a drop, before the bike will start again)

At about 150km on the route, 3km into the track, I came to this evil bog hole:

I considered turning around, but I came out here to do this track, not run home with my tail between my legs at the first hurdle... I wandered around here for a fair while considering my options... The bank at the left looks flat, but it was a bit of a slope, and as slippery as hell, at the end there was a narrow bank between the trees and the bog hole which I didn't think I had any hope of getting around while staying upright...

I figured I was better of starting down in the bog, rather than end up falling face first into it with the bike upside down in the water.... I tried checking the depth with a stick but it was very questionable so I waded through and back.... Most was around knee/wheel deep...

It seemed doable, even though I've never been through something this deep before... I psyched myself up, telling myself.... "Just keep going, keep the momentum up, don't think about it just do it, plow through, youuuuu caaaaan dooooo eeeeeet" ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMFg2aU3x4o

And in we went: Part C - The Sinking (90sec video)

I sorta got into a bit of a panic when the front wheel dropped down into the hole, I just wanted to keep going... Probably good I didn't bounce the front wheel out, with the rear wheel in the hole the air intake would probably be well under water

Turns out the front wheel ended up in a small deep hole which I missed when I walked though... The bike was standing up solid, with the front wheel firmly located in the hole... I think the hole was dug by a narrow 4x4 tyre, or another bike, it was a nice wheel size...

A good lesson to learn, walk heal to toe through the exact route you plan to ride Shit happens

It was clear the bike had sucked in some water, but first priority was getting it out...By sitting on the bike and digging my feet in, I managed to jerk the front wheel out of the hole, then I found the best method was to hold the bars in the middle with 1 hand, and put my shoulder into the box on the back to push it out... It was hard, but easier than I expected considering the bike weighs well over 200kg... The box on the back adds high up weight, but it sure makes the bike a LOT easier to push backwards...

With the bike in the shallows out of imminent danger, I had a break and a walk around:

There was a drainage trench at the side that was clogged with debris:

I cleared it out to try to drain the water level down a bit:

I dragged the bike out a bit further then started pulling it apart... I drained the airbox, about 1/2 a cup of water came out the drain, then off with the top-box and seat:

The inner filter was fairly wet and full of mud, a combination of the muddy water and the dust that was already in the filter, the outer filter was a bit wet, and there was a bit of water around inside the airbox:

There didn't appear to be any water up around the engine side of the airbox outlet ... I wiped the filters off and soaked the water out with rags... (I wrap a lot of my tools and such in rags so they don't vibrate together, so I always have plenty)... I Pulled the spark plug out and cranked it over, some mist came out, I think that might have been fuel and not water... It seemed no water actually got into the engine

With the spark plug and air filters back in I hit the GO button she instantly jumped to life ... The exhaust must have had some water in it, a bit blew out when it started, and she blew steam for a min or so... I let it warm up and dry out for a couple mins then shut it down.....

Checked the oil, it appeared water free Impressive, I'm amazed an engine be fully submerged for a while and not get water in it.... While I was dragging it out of the water I was thinking about the oil, I was sure it would have water in it, I figured I'd just ride till I got phone reception and call someone to bring me oil so I could change it on the side of the road.... Turns out it wasn't an issue, I checked the oil numerous times through the day and it seemed water free... The bike has 5500km on it now, 4500 since the oil was changed, it's a bit discoloured, so I'll change it before the next ride just to be safe...

****** To be continued*******