ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Which do you prefer, full face helmet or moto style for dual-sporting?
Full face, I'm too good-looking to risk damaging my mug 61 59.22%
Moto style with goggles....you ride dirt, you better look dirt 30 29.13%
Helmets are for kids, old people, and nerds on bicycles 2 1.94%
A Harley-tough bandana's good enough for me 1 0.97%
Free Hookers for all 15 14.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
Sierra Thumper OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
If you are dual sporting and you get caught in the rain / snow with a helmet with no shield, your nose will be stinging.

I have an XD.

Not really a Thumpers topic...
I put it in thumpers because I figured us thumper riders would be more likely to wear a moto style helmet than the big bike, more street oriented adventure guys........I figured they prolly all wear full face street helmets. I wanted the feedback from us "dirtier" types
Old 10-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #17
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,772
XD here. I seldom put the visor down. I run with safety glasses to cover the eyes. When it rains or debris is being tossed around the visor goes down. Otherwize visor up and let the wind rip through.

I already know that an XD4 is in my future. Maybe Santa will be good to me this year.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #18
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I put it in thumpers because I figured us thumper riders would be more likely to wear a moto style helmet than the big bike, more street oriented adventure guys........I figured they prolly all wear full face street helmets. I wanted the feedback from us "dirtier" types
Gotcha.

Most of the ADV type riders use an Arai XD or similar, the hybrid with the larger opening to accommodate goggles, but also with a shield.

I first had one back in 1999, before they were sold in the US as the XD.
I had my Dad mail me one from the UK, the Arai DS/r.

I'm a big fan of Arai, that one saved at least my jaw in a crash.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #19
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,772
I found on my CDR ride that the XDs were perfect. Open the visor for max air flow and enjoy the scenery and when trucks/jeeps were passing in the opposite direction quickly pull the visor down and miss all the debris that they kicked up. OBTW it works well at keeping hail off the face. DAMHIK.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
XD, wear it for everything now. Even up to 100mph runs on my SV. Yeah, you gotta be prepared when you head check at speed, but if you know the tug is coming, it's fine.

And no, I wasn't being a squid running a 100mph on my SV. I-15 in Idaho. Speed limit is 75, everyone is running 90 and if you want around the truck infront of you due to the buffeting, you'll bust the ton getting there.

That big ol' bill on the XD was no problem.

And off-road, I wear glasses anyhow so visor up to let the wind blow threw and keep me cool. Only problem I've ever had with it is when it is cold out. Even with all the vents shut, it is still a cool helmet. Oh and it is noisy so you won't be listening to itunes on your iPhone with it, but I can deal with that.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #21
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037

I have been using a Bell full face MX with goggles for approx. 5 years. I use Oakley Crowbar goggles with a nose cover.
It fit me so well I never gave it much thought. Yes I have got bee's inside it. It is freezing cold in the winter, I covered the mouth vent with tape. Summer it wasn't bad.
However today I went to the bike shop to pick up a spark plug and the cute new sales gal showed me a new Arai XD-4.
Crap they are spendy, Just as I was shying away the trap was sprung!!!!!!!!!!!
They are on sale for 25% off. Just one more day!
Walked out with it.
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
Tooltech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
XD 3 or XD 4 best of both worlds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I use the Arai XD4 dual sport helmet. Works great in most situations. The only time I have trouble is riding trails in cold weather when I get fogging and condensation even with an anti-fog shield. In those cases I usually carry some goggles and flip up the shield and use goggles. I have a Klim helmet and it requires goggles but is very noisy for highway riding. I may use it next time I ride in Baja though as it is very light and well ventilated.
I ride the KTM 500 EXC and the KTM 990 SMT and the Arai XD 4 is the perfect solution. One can convert it to a slick, light weight road helmet or a dirt helmet with goggles and visor. Easy to do, no special skills or tools required. I do have a VX Pro 3 as well for track racing. Most road helmets are close to my face and I feel confined. The shape of the dual sport helmets are less confining for me.

Bottom line is you just have to try on different helmets. Walk around the store with them on ( at least 15 minutes ) you will soon discover pressure points. Never buy a helmet that will " break in " to your head...it never will. Never buy a cheap helmet. Cheap helmets may be extremely strong however, that is NOT what your head needs. The super strong helmet will transfer the impact forces into your head and neck. If your helmet is involved in a wreck ( even a minor wreck ) replace it. If your helmet is 5 years old, replace it...You only are issued one brain, protect it.

As for the bikers who ride with out a DOT-SNELL helmet...MORONS!
Tooltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,943
You need a dual-sport helmet option on your poll.

I've been pretty happy with a Shoei Hornet DS with Pinlock's for winter riding here in the PNW.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #24
moriver
Lets Go That Way?

Oddometer: 75
Street Cap

I use a Neotech with a G9 heaset. It goes on all rides mud, street, trail, slab and when I need a visor I flip the tab and get the Star Wars built in sun visor and love it. The Full face and is a no go...When my face needs a scratch I flip up the front and get er done. The Dual Sport cap......NO...That cool guy sun visor catches wind or gets broken.
moriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #25
Sierra Thumper OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
You need a dual-sport helmet option on your poll.

I've been pretty happy with a Shoei Hornet DS with Pinlock's for winter riding here in the PNW.
Thats one reason I started this thread....honestly I've been out of the dirt game for so long I wasn't exactly sure what folks were wearing anymore......I didn't even know what a dual-sport helmet was I do now tho I think I might start shopping soon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriver View Post
I use a Neotech with a G9 heaset. It goes on all rides mud, street, trail, slab and when I need a visor I flip the tab and get the Star Wars built in sun visor and love it. The Full face and is a no go...When my face needs a scratch I flip up the front and get er done. The Dual Sport cap......NO...That cool guy sun visor catches wind or gets broken.
I might check that out with some of the others mentioned

Thanks for all the feedback guys

It looks like so far 60% of us like full face coverage.....I kinda prefer it myself. My bike came with a Shoei (spelling?) moto style helmet but I haven't even looked it over close yet....I've just been wearing my Aria street helmet. I'm so used to the full face street that I feel completely fine with it in the gnarliest dirt riding. Plus it lets me hear my tunes very well at slower off road speeds. I usually run with sunglasses and the face shield up or cracked for day riding in the dirt.
I'm still going to check out some DS helmets tho, always good to keep an open mind, and I didn't even know the new breed of DS helmets existed till this thread
Old 11-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #26
robl110
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I got a Shoei Hornet DS. It looks cool but I am not a fan of it above 45mph. The visor seems to create a lot of drag. Its like having a wing on top of my head. Maybe I just need to man up and get used to riding with it on my melon. If I had the purchase to do again I would of done some more research. May have ended up with a full face street helmet for in town and used my old moto helmet and goggles for trail riding.
robl110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #27
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,058
I wear my street helmet if the ride is mostly street or fire roads.
I wear my dirt helmet if the ride is slower trails or slower roads between trails.

I hated my dual sport helmet it sucked as both an on road and off road lid.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #28
dhb400
No Regrets

Oddometer: 190
AFX-39 Dual sport is what I use. Not so good for strictly street. Great for the dirt.

dhb400 is online now   Reply With Quote