Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #3841
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
Anybody try touring the slab in urban mode to boost economy and range?
Tried doing this on my ride over the last 2 days, i had hours of slab to entertain myself on. didn't make a blind bit of difference. What does make a huge difference is speed. Below 75mph (120kmh) the computer was saying I was getting 50mpg+ imperial. Over this it dropped really quickly to about 45. Urban mode or touring was the same. I ran half a tank in urban mode then half in touring. What did surprise me is that the multi was so much faster than the RT even in urban mode
Old 10-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #3842
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,370
Toyota had the same / a similar issue issue with late 80' s Fourrunners. They replaced the heads on his vehicle with over 150,000 miles. Good that they did so, bad that it could srill happened that late.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #3843
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
Anyone have accurate numbers on how many MTS's have been affected??? Just want my decision to be based on the best info, no dealer closer than 140 or so miles, so I'd like to see this cleared up BEFORE I buy.
Bear in mind, that the coolant issue hasn't affected all bikes from 2010 on or anything like it, probably only a tiny percentage but there have been cases and they have decided that the coolant needs to be changed to safe guard against further problems. it can't that big of a problem as its a job that is only being done a your next scheduled service. Just have the bike serviced before putting it away for the winter, then you can make brm brm noises sitting on the bike in the garage until the thaw starts without a worry. . I might have said this before but I love this bike I now understand why people forgive the Ducati foibles and continue to love them.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #3844
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
it can't that big of a problem as its a job that is only being done a your next scheduled service. .
it is a big problem for the bikes that have experienced failure and for those with higher miles.

unless one looks inside the cylinders (of the bikes in question) it would be very difficult to discern how extensive or how far the damage has progressed. changing the coolant might be a remedy for the "new" bikes but may only be a stopgap for the aforementioined.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #3845
BruceWA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Good chance I'm going to scrap my plans on the MTS, there are many good bikes made today, and if you believe the internet most of them are crap. Sheesh.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #3846
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,197
After you plop your money down, and own it awhile, then you may appreciate the point of views coming from current owners that planned to keep the bike a long time. It is no small job to replace a cylinder, piston, head with valves, not to mention the time your bike will sit in the shop waiting for the parts.

Just something to think about.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #3847
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Hello boys

I am hunting for my 4th bike and in research mode, I like the V-strom 1000 rode it liked it, Fz1, & now the DUCATI multi.
I am a big horsepower whore & every YouTube video I watch on the MTS it gets such high praise from the reviewers. I feel I have gone down a very dangerous(for my wallet) path that now no other bike can compare. I own a 1999 900ss & love it to pieces & it is old & has a carb, I can only image what a modern fuel injected 1200cc Ducati is like. My biggest fear is the old reliability issue, I have read good things about the new Ducs but I will still be getting the extended warranty. The local dealer I talked to said he would sell me 1 @ invoice after he ran my credit. He has two 2012's, a base & a S that he would give me a stunning deal on but I want the 2013 with the new skyhook & dual spark etc. he said the 2013 will be here in December. Invoice is $16,999 on 2013 S touring. Is it December yet?
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S touring, 2006 Yamaha R6 Track bike, 1999 Ducati 900 Super Sport, 1992 HD FLHS, 1997 HD Sportster 1200, 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2005 Honda Ruckus(scooter trash) being a inmate has perks=Dealer pricing on alien blood oh I meanAmsoilhttp://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oilThe link shows retail pricing so you can check vs my dealer price quotes..PM me
aceonthebeach3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #3848
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceonthebeach3 View Post
I am hunting for my 4th bike and in research mode, I like the V-strom 1000 rode it liked it, Fz1, & now the DUCATI multi.
I am a big horsepower whore & every YouTube video I watch on the MTS it gets such high praise from the reviewers. I feel I have gone down a very dangerous(for my wallet) path that now no other bike can compare. I own a 1999 900ss & love it to pieces & it is old & has a carb, I can only image what a modern fuel injected 1200cc Ducati is like. My biggest fear is the old reliability issue, I have read good things about the new Ducs but I will still be getting the extended warranty. The local dealer I talked to said he would sell me 1 @ invoice after he ran my credit. He has two 2012's, a base & a S that he would give me a stunning deal on but I want the 2013 with the new skyhook & dual spark etc. he said the 2013 will be here in December. Invoice is $16,999 on 2013 S touring. Is it December yet?
Your dealer will do a 2013 for invoice? Any other fees like setup or freight?
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #3849
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,197
That is a smoking deal on the 12 S, resist till 13, the new engine plus skyhook is going to be huge. Tank range was one of my big dislikes on the 10.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #3850
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
Your dealer will do a 2013 for invoice? Any other fees like setup or freight?
Good call. I did not ask about those other fun fees. But he seems real cool on trying to move a multistrada. He said @ his dealership the multistrada doesn't sell very good more of a BMW GS Town I guess. Which is good for me.
I am also dealing directly with the manager. Which maybe cuts out most of the BS.
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S touring, 2006 Yamaha R6 Track bike, 1999 Ducati 900 Super Sport, 1992 HD FLHS, 1997 HD Sportster 1200, 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2005 Honda Ruckus(scooter trash) being a inmate has perks=Dealer pricing on alien blood oh I meanAmsoilhttp://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oilThe link shows retail pricing so you can check vs my dealer price quotes..PM me
Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #3851
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Was this price for the 2012 S Touring or 2013? If it is for the 2013 then its an phenomenal deal. If its for the 2012 I am sure this deal wont look so sweet a month or so from now.

One thing I was told by a local dealer was that according to Ducati their "year" ends on Aug 31. So dealers try to post as many sales of the current year models by Aug 31 as they possibly can. Having said that though still a 2012 S Touring will become a one year old bike on Jan 1. And that should definitely affect the sale price.

Quote:
Good call. I did not ask about those other fun fees. But he seems real cool on trying to move a multistrada. He said @ his dealership the multistrada doesn't sell very good more of a BMW GS Town I guess. Which is good for me.
I am also dealing directly with the manager. Which maybe cuts out most of the BS.

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #3852
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
Was this price for the 2012 S Touring or 2013? If it is for the 2013 then its an phenomenal deal. If its for the 2012 I am sure this deal wont look so sweet a month or so from now.

One thing I was told by a local dealer was that according to Ducati their "year" ends on Aug 31. So dealers try to post as many sales of the current year models by Aug 31 as they possibly can. Having said that though still a 2012 S Touring will become a one year old bike on Jan 1. And that should definitely affect the sale price.
I did not ask about the 2012 price because they don't have color I want in either trim level & I want the new skyhook & dual spark etc in the 2013.
It was for a 2013 red s touring.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #3853
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
New engine gas mileage..?

Does the new version of the Testesretta get better mileage? First I've heard of that.

As far as reliability issues on my 2011 S Touring... I bought the 5 year extended warranty specifically because I thought there were so many new gizmo's on this bike that it was a good bet. Almost 2 years in and so far so good but if things start to go I am covered. I knew going in that a Ducati is not a Kawasaki or a Honda in terms of long term reliability or low service costs. Its part of the charm. Its no different with cars.. If you want reliability, value and low service costs you get a Toyota not a Porsche or a Ferrari.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #3854
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
As tonymorr said check with the them on the fees etc. I can't imagine these fees being too high anyway. So 17K for a 2013 S Touring does sound like a pretty good deal to me.
Now you have to be patient for one more month :)

Quote:
I did not ask about the 2012 price because they don't have color I want in either trim level & I want the new skyhook & dual spark etc in the 2013.
It was for a 2013 red s touring.

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #3855
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
Does the new version of the Testesretta get better mileage? First I've heard of that.
Yes it is now dual spark & they re-angled the injectors which results in a 10% boost in fuel economy