ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (<1000cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #1801
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
After trying a few maps my 06 990 kept running like crap, adjusted the TPS, idled fine, but kept missfiring sometimes from idle and often when coming from a full closed throttle and then accelerating harder.

I read in the 690 thread that having ignition on, kill switch on, engine off, slowly rotating the throttle from null to full, and then full to null again slowly, and then switching the ignition off, would reset the throttle position against the ECU.

Did that, and... got alot better, not perfect, but no more sputering and hesitation.

Anyone did this before? Never heard for the 990, but it made a difference.

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #1802
Sirwrexalot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Dont want to sound like a total dweeb here but seriously, how hard is pulling my map, save t then load a diffferent map that others have tried? I am not one to fiddle with the minute settings but would like to try maps tha others have loaded that may stop the twitchiness at low RPM's.

2008 KTM 990, Dual Remus Exhuast cans. Stock otherwise.

I am pretty comfortable with both a laptop and a wrench but I am skeer'ed of frying the electronics on this bike. I know KTM carbs backwards and forwards but this is my first Fuel Injected beast and the whole mapping issue intrigues and scares me at the same time.

I have read LOTS of pages on here and you guys make it sound so easy and forgive me if there is a "tutorial" hidden somewhere in this thread or the HOW page. I just havent stumbled across it yet, and if you have point me in that general direction.
Sirwrexalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #1803
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Quite easy.

Plug in the cable to the bike. Connector should be located underseat near the ABS unit or near the glove compartment.

Run TuneEcu, make sure the right lower corner has a green signal indicating positive comunication with the ECU. On top right, select map, and then go to the menu and find "Read Map".

During readout don't do anything else.

After reading the map, make sure you save it somewhere in a folder clearly identified as the "stock" map you got qith the bike. This will be your backup if anything goes wrong.

Next, open the desired map. Make sure it is compatible with your bike. A 2011 map won't run on a 2006 bike.

If you want to use a 2011 map, you'll have to copy the values from the 2011 tables and past into a 06-08 map. Can't assure a 09/10 map will also work.

Meanwhile take some time and see diagnostics, verify if there are any DTC's (error codes). If the throttle is fine, don't touch the TPS.

When ready to get the "new"map into the ECU, go to map tab and then select "download" in the menu above.

While downloading the map into the ECU it's advisable to have the laptp plugged to power and a battery tender to the bike battery.

After downloading go to tests and press reset adaptation.

Some will say you'll need a 15 minute engine run idling without touching the throttle, others will say ride on.

That's it.

Carefull this tool can be dangerous if improperly used. Baby steps.

690R

Gustavo.Ramos screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 03:18 AM Reason: left right confusion in my brain
Old 10-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #1804
Sirwrexalot
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply Gustavo ... Thats it ... Im buying a cable and downloading me some Tune ECU !!!

Dual Sport Warehouse here I come ...
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #1805
Blackhole
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Where is the connector to the ecu on a 2010 ADV R? I wouldnt want to stick it in the wrong hole by mistake.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #1806
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhole View Post
Where is the connector to the ecu on a 2010 ADV R? I wouldnt want to stick it in the wrong hole by mistake.
Should be under the seat in front of the tool area where the ABS unit would be. It's the only 6-pole connector in that area. It's got a cap on it that will need to be removed first.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #1807
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhole View Post

That info is two posts above.

690R
Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #1808
Sirwrexalot
Gnarly Adventurer

Dont you hate new guys who join the party late ...

I got me new cable and downloaded Tune ECU and pulled the seat and I have NO IDEA where to plug the cables in ! I know its under the seat near the ABS or up around the glove box but I am either too stupid or just plain blind (both are real possibilites) and cant for the life of me figure out where to plug it in.

Is the white conncetor in the photo below it???

If not will someone tell me where to find that &*(^*& plug !!!

I am starting to think this may be a bad idea since I am obviously too stupid to even find the connector !!!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #1809
DeepSea
electronically challenged

Oddometer: 212
Plug is under the seat, inside where your ABS unit is. That's just forward of your tool kit. The bolts to remove the cover are down inside where your tools are. If I remember right it's an 8mm socket.

Good luck.
Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #1810
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Read post 1806
You have to remove the cover to gain access to the plug.

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #1811
Sirwrexalot
Gnarly Adventurer

Duh, Maybe I am too stupid to be able to read 3 posts up

Oh Well I needed to ck the air filter anyway...

Thanks for the replies fellas.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #1812
Sirwrexalot
Gnarly Adventurer

Well Whaddya know. When I bought the bike the original owner had Remus cans installed at a dealer and they told him that they remapped it ... NOPE. Still running the stock map. Hope he didnt get charged extra for that !!

Raining here today but I cant wait to load the AKRA maps and see what kind of a difference it makes,

I always thought that the decel popping was a bit too pronounced, Now I think I know why.

And thanks again to all of the contributors to this thread. I have learned A LOT,
Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #1813
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 980
Havent read too many posts praising all aspects of the Akra map - its usually too fat and very hard on fuel range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwrexalot View Post
Well Whaddya know. When I bought the bike the original owner had Remus cans installed at a dealer and they told him that they remapped it ... NOPE. Still running the stock map. Hope he didnt get charged extra for that !!

Raining here today but I cant wait to load the AKRA maps and see what kind of a difference it makes,

I always thought that the decel popping was a bit too pronounced, Now I think I know why.

And thanks again to all of the contributors to this thread. I have learned A LOT,
Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #1814
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,854
Read back a hundred posts or so. A few like the Akra map but not the mileage. If you turn the O2 sensors back on, the mileage gets back to reasonable.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #1815
kenhaw
2006 Adventure S EU

Oddometer: 31
Adventure 990 2006 EU with Akro slipons and G2 Tamer

Hi Everyone
Been reading most of the posts here, wauv. A lot of work has gone into this.
Have been fidling with a power commander 3 USB but without much luck.
Bought my bike used with the cans but no idea what map is inside the ECU. Have already ordered my cable and cant wait for it to arrive.
Have the same problem as others, stalling and twitchy throttle. The throttle I can live with but the stalling makes me very uncomfortable when riding my bike.
Looking forward to using the TuneEcu and getting in to the discussion
I am in Cannes,France.

Kenneth
kenhaw is offline   Reply With Quote