User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
JMartin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Need to Replace my GPSMap 60CS—Earthmate a Viable Alternative?

In a recent get-off in the woods, I broke both my thumb and my Garmin GPSMap 60CS. The former is mending in a cast, the latter is kaput with a shattered screen. I am now researching with what should I replace it and thought I would tap this group’s wisdom.

I use my GPS every time I ride off-road or dual-sport, work exclusively with tracks (not routes), and manage them in DeLorme’s Topo. I use Mapsource only to load up the tracks I make or to copy off a track from my last ride. This has me wondering if I might be just fine with a DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-60. Anyone with relevant experience care to comment?

Thanks,
Jay

JMartin screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 09:39 AM Reason: Clarity
JMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Depends.
I think the screen is smaller. How good are your eyes?
I have seen complaints regarding the number and type of POIs. Do you use them?
Not sure they update and support their products nearly as well as Garmin.

Why not just get a 76Cx when they go on sale for $150 & free shipping from West Marine?

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Maybe!

It will really depend on what features are most important to you.
For me the lack of available 12v power for the PN-60 would have been a deal breaker (had I known they were discontinuing that option when I bought it). I am learning that there are ways around that.
Like you, I generally end up moving my tracks to DeLorme to 'use' them, DeLorme's map quality is much higher although, I am so used to MapSource (never have tried Base Camp) that it seems easier. I figured that it would be much easier to transfer them from a DeLorme device but so far that hasn't been the case. You need to save the track on the DeLorme device before you can transfer it (I keep forgetting), something I always tried to avoid when starting from my 60CSx (because it ended up 'modified' to fit 'allowable' number of points), I really miss being able to save my 'Active Track' as simply as Map Source allows. It may get easier as I learn more but so far it hasn't been an improvement.
I really love the fact that I can upload aerial photos and charts onto my PN-60! That was a BIG selling point for me from the start of considering a new GPS.
Other than the ability to load aerial photos (advantage DeLorme), I think that the two devices are probably very evenly matched. The fact that I have spent 6 years using the Garmin makes it more 'compatible' as far as things working the way I expect. That is not Delorme's fault, had I been using their system for years rather than months, it would very likely seem 'normal' to me.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Do your homework regarding maps.
Do you plan to use it to travel outside North America?

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
JMartin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Thanks for the responses. FWIW, I ended up buying another 60CS through eBay. Jay