ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
Jon-Lars
Jon-Lars
 
Jon-Lars's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Beverly
Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldust View Post
My original 77 does not have painted rims, just pinstriped.

If your rims are polished aluminum with blue pinstripes, they have been modified.

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/schemepages/schemer100rs.htm

Is your bodywork paint matte finish, or is it shiny?
__________________
Cheers, Jon-Lars Sorenson
Beverly, WA
http://www.facebook.com/BMWR90S
Jon-Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
Bulldust
Bulldust
 
Bulldust's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-Lars View Post
If your rims are polished aluminum with blue pinstripes, they have been modified.

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/schemepages/schemer100rs.htm

Is your bodywork paint matte finish, or is it shiny?
Not polished at all, when did I say polished? Matt Aluminium with pinstripes, not refinished, as standard, Matt Blue Paintwork, I don't have to refer to a website, I just walk into my Garage to see the original.
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #18
bmweuro
Mad Scientist
 
bmweuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldust View Post
Not polished at all, when did I say polished? Matt Aluminium with pinstripes, not refinished, as standard, Matt Blue Paintwork, I don't have to refer to a website, I just walk into my Garage to see the original.
The rims were anodized first so it would not have a polished look but more of a dull finish. I think I have also seen them as Bulldust has on his bike. What month was your bike built in?
__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
Bulldust
Bulldust
 
Bulldust's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
The rims were anodized first so it would not have a polished look but more of a dull finish. I think I have also seen them as Bulldust has on his bike. What month was your bike built in?
Built February 1977 (6180710).

These bikes were designed originally to have snowflake mag wheels, a production fault/delay caused the first year to be sold with spoke wheels, having regard to BMW's practice of using what parts are to hand (some of the last R90S's to come to Australia had 1,000 cc barrels and /7 wiring looms) it is possible that the earlier production of the 77 model had a different wheel finish to bikes built later that year.
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
bmweuro
Mad Scientist
 
bmweuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldust View Post
Built February 1977 (6180710).

These bikes were designed originally to have snowflake mag wheels, a production fault/delay caused the first year to be sold with spoke wheels, having regard to BMW's practice of using what parts are to hand (some of the last R90S's to come to Australia had 1,000 cc barrels and /7 wiring looms) it is possible that the earlier production of the 77 model had a different wheel finish to bikes built later that year.
Most new models start in August of the previous year however the 77 RS started in June of '76 so that would make yours a mid model year build for what ever that's worth.
__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #21
Jon-Lars
Jon-Lars
 
Jon-Lars's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Beverly
Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldust View Post
Not polished at all, when did I say polished? Matt Aluminium with pinstripes, not refinished, as standard, Matt Blue Paintwork, I don't have to refer to a website, I just walk into my Garage to see the original.









Here's mine.


I have two original sets of wheels for my '77RS.
They are both painted matte silver with blue pinstripes.


You might take a closer look at yours.
__________________
Cheers, Jon-Lars Sorenson
Beverly, WA
http://www.facebook.com/BMWR90S
Jon-Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #22
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous
 
Wirespokes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Jackson's Bottom Oregon
Oddometer: 8,020
I don't believe they were anodized since the tube side of the rim doesn't show anodizing and isn't painted either. I don't know if it's possible to anodize the 'outer' surface of the rim and not the 'inner', but think not.

It's possible the rim was etched to help the paint adhere, or at least prepped in some way because bare paint wouldn't have stuck as well as this. I haven't seen evidence of primer, and normally zinc chromate (yellow) is used for that. Maybe they got blasted with a fine powder to rough them up, I don't know. But however it was done they certainly did a good job.
__________________
Wanted: Dead, smashed, crashed or trashed gauges
BMW GAUGE REPAIRS - TACH*SPEEDO*CLOCK*VOLT METER *PODs & LIGHT BOARD*
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #23
toslow OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
toslow's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: western colorado
Oddometer: 100
OK here's another question on the paint was the fairing only a matte finish and the tank and tail section a clear coat I ask this because the web site that Jon-Lars posted that bike's tank and tail section is clear coated and only the fairing is matte there's a couple of angles that look like the front fender is cleared also????
toslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #24
bmweuro
Mad Scientist
 
bmweuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,411
They were painted with a base coat paint(made for a clear coat) and no clear.
__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #25
Jon-Lars
Jon-Lars
 
Jon-Lars's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Beverly
Oddometer: 544
Matte all over. It's a difficult finish to maintain.
__________________
Cheers, Jon-Lars Sorenson
Beverly, WA
http://www.facebook.com/BMWR90S
Jon-Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014