User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
jconly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Route from the Panhandle to Miami

Wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to traverse Florida? Ending the TET in the panhandle, and would like to see some back roads in Florida vs takin the Interstate down.

Was considering following the western coast down on pavement, but any suggestions would be awesome!
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,809
30A in the panhandle along the Gulf is nice. Some nice roads through Apalachicola. You can head to Cedar Key and down through Ocala Natl Forest and then down to the Withlacoochee State Forest area. If you are headed to Miami you can take routes that trace us27 such as Scenic 17 through Lakes Wales/Frostproof/Sebring.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
ineptizoid
Dust. Wind. DUDE!

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
Wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to traverse Florida? Ending the TET in the panhandle, and would like to see some back roads in Florida vs takin the Interstate down.

Was considering following the western coast down on pavement, but any suggestions would be awesome!
Where will you be coming down into the Panhandle? If ya wanna stay on pavement, I highly recommend Hwy 98, as long as yer east of Panama City; it's a beautiful stretch that'll take ya thru some really cool little towns like Mexico Bch, Apalachicola, and Carrabelle (I think the TET has a start/end point near Carrabelle). Great seafood, too. You can camp in the sand dunes at St. Joe Peninsula State Park which is on Cape San Blas, a 20-min. ride from Port St. Joe. Can't help ya with backroads on the peninsula, but there are plenty of FFs on here that can steer ya in the right direction--and I see Ginger Beard already has.

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
The TET ends in Carabelle for you local guys that may not know.

You can follow the TET-S loop over to where it intersects with Hwy 98 north of St Marks if you want to stay on some dirt for a little bit longer, or just jump on 98 in Carrabelle.

From there south I cant help you as anything south of St Marks from what I hear is a trip into hell itself.
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post

From there south I cant help you as anything south of St Marks from what I hear is a trip into hell itself.

That's not true....It's more like Purgatory.

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 01:38 PM
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
jconly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Thanks guys!
Just ended today in Carrabelle.
Camping right now on St George Island.
Actually made it here before sunset, and got all setup. Had a chance to sit on the beach and watch it go down. So beautiful, and a nice relaxing end to what was basically an enduro on the TET. Sunrise to sunset, almost every day it was a race to the end.

Torn on the idea of continuing the TET east to St Marks. Honestly, your sand traps kicked my ass today! About 5 times I put the pig down hard when I met the deep stuff. It was exhausting. Done the small two strokes in the deep sand, but it was an experience with 1/3 a ton.

Thinking I'll take 98 east as suggested, but from there I'm torn. West coast, east coast, center of the state... Hmmmm.

Maybe I'll wrap down to Cedar key as also suggested, then cut across through Ocala and keep on going to Daytona. Perhaps just do A1A down from there...

EDIT: looking for 17 on the iPhone but no luck digging it up. Any suggestions on how to connect those state / national forests you mentioned?
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Skimo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
Thanks guys!

Maybe I'll wrap down to Cedar key as also suggested, then cut across through Ocala and keep on going to Daytona. Perhaps just do A1A down from there...

EDIT: looking for 17 on the iPhone but no luck digging it up. Any suggestions on how to connect those state / national forests you mentioned?
Look in this thread here for ideals and reverse the route

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831737
Skimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 147
After crossing the bridge when leaving St. George Island, you'll likely head East on 98. The next little town is Carrabelle. Make sure you stop by the Carrabelle Police Station. Get a picture. I think you will be surprised...
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote