Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #61
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Not really...

I have an (unconfirmed) theory on how that one could have gone down...

So you're saying it were the French?

I forgot that Gordon said they had the system in previous years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Robby Gordon is his own worst enemy. Always has been. That being said, he will be there with his new deep pockets BFF Clyde Stacy. Clyde has cubic mega bucks and is a major Rubby leg humper. Rubby is leading the BITD class 1 points in a Clyde owned, Gieser built, TT without fenders. Rubby is racing the 1000 with Clyde's young gun from Mexico BITD TT driver in Rubby's TT.

As far as Nasser is concerned. The Jefferies cars are being built because one of Nasser's buddies had a Jefferies sand buggy everyone thought was too cool for school. Jefferies has zero experience building Dakar type vehicles. Simple things like putting a windshield on a buggy changes everything and cooling/air flow becomes a major issue. Again, Jefferies has zero experience with any building, let alone prepping of a Dakar vehicle. Neither Nasser nor Carlos will make it as far as Nasser did in the RGM prepped buggy last year. Mark my words.
Strong words.
I'll remember this.
Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #62
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
So you're saying it were the French?
Not necessarily... As the famous Basil Fawlty once said;
(don't mention the war... I think I may have... once... but I think I got away with it... )

Balkan BoyQuote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente
Not really...

I have an (unconfirmed) theory on how that one could have gone down...

I forgot that Gordon said they had the system in previous years...

Some of the team managers carry "note books"... that go back several events... even years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #63
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

A day out at the dunes... or Dakar?

Quote:
As far as Nasser is concerned. The Jefferies cars are being built because one of Nasser's buddies had a Jefferies sand buggy everyone thought was too cool for school. Jefferies has zero experience building Dakar type vehicles. Simple things like putting a windshield on a buggy changes everything and cooling/air flow becomes a major issue. Again, Jefferies has zero experience with any building, let alone prepping of a Dakar vehicle. Neither Nasser nor Carlos will make it as far as Nasser did in the RGM prepped buggy last year. Mark my words.
That's interesting... when the announcement first came out of Nasser and the US buggy idea, I thought to myself; "Hmmmm... Al Attiyah must have exhausted all of the other viable (top team) seat options out there - eg. a Hilux, or a MINI or even a X-Raid BMW - to go with a putting his money into a "from the ground up" project like a new 2WD buggy from the states...?"

I mean, with the funding he has from QATAR, you'd think that one of the above type of options would be logical... Existing teams, with proven vehicles and experience/logistics of the race... but then again it could be a case of "no spare chairs/burnt bridges" was the response from the other camps?

When the announcement came... although I looked - I couldn't find anything more on the cars, than just some passing journalist rhetoric that stated the "buggies" were being built in California and they'd claimed to have 735 horsepower. All the photo's I could find were either of Nassers previous QATAR sponsored rides (mostly logo in the background) and one stock photo of an airborne Trophy Truck (which I was pretty sure from the get go was not what the vehicles would be based on).

From what you say Strong Bad, the vehicle will be petty much just a "Dakar farkled" Jeffries sandrail with a windscreen, a reconfigured fuel tank, a restricted detuned motor and some sand ladders in the back?

Couple that with the fact that the whole project has been "assembled" in only months (nothing like even the 5 to eight years R&D and experience the Gordon/SPEED effort has behind it) and the fact there are going to be two pretty big ego's in two of the drivers seats (remember Carlos and Nascar Al Attiyahs panel swapping exploits in 2011...? )... all this wrapped up in an 11th hour deal to get to the start podium in January...?

Yeah Strong Bad... I gotta say that I agree with you, and refer back to my first reaction/comment on the subject, earlier in the thread;

(this has sprinklings of the whole Gordon/Nasser 2012 scenario written all over it )

pass the popcorn please...

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 11-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #64
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
At least there's the potential for HUGE drama - with the 2 primadonnas on one team.
It will be fun to watch.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #65
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

The last time around the sandpit... together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
At least there's the potential for HUGE drama - with the 2 primadonnas on one team.
It will be fun to watch.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #66
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:

From what you say Strong Bad, the vehicle will be petty much just a "Dakar farkled" Jeffries sandrail with a windscreen, a reconfigured fuel tank, a restricted detuned motor and some sand ladders in the back?
It was one of those super-blinged out twin turbo nitrus burning dune hoppers that gave the Qatar guys huge boners and apparently caused all of the blood to rush from their head leaving nothing to power their brains. Jefferies does build TTs and class 1 cars race cars. However, building Trophy Trucks and Class 1 buggies does not qualify anyone to build a competitive Dakar car. The fact that Nasser doesn't realize that and chose his car builder off of a friend's sand car shows what a joke his program is. The entire deal is knee jerk.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #67
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Thumb Toy's for the boys...?

^^^ Yeah, that's pretty much what I pictured in my mind from your first description... one of those candy apple custom painted sandrail/toys like you see the Cali flat biller crews out playing with at Glamis or Dumont on any given weekend... type

I noticed that these things have become pretty popular over in Dubai of late also... so I kind of figured that might have been where the inspiration came from.

Looking at the Jeffries Racing website, I see that they have a spec' Class 1 and Class 10 cars that they manufacture as well as TT's... but as you say; the development and prep of a Dakar program is another kettle of fish. I don't doubt that they can build an a-arm "buggy" with a body on it that can run fast in offroad terrain or even a TT capable of running with the SCORE/BITD boys in the US races...

... but DAKAR requires a whole different timeframe and development program... and a significantly different "approach" (something it took RGM four or five years to figure out). So yeah, I'd lean towards thinking the learning curve is stacked against this project, given the relative short lead up and January will be (literally) the car and teams competition debut in Dakar/Rally terms.

So, Strong Bad you're predicting that the Qatar Qid is "parked" by day 3 or 4... eh?

Quote:

Quote:

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 11:10 AM
Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #68
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,740
Quote:
^^^
So, Strong Bad you're predicting that the Qatar Qid is "parked" by day 3 or 4... eh?
I predict the Nasser makes stage 6 and el matidor makes the white dunes of Fimabala but dnf's crossing back over the Andes...

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #69
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
[QUOTE=troy safari carpente;19952508]That's interesting... when the announcement first came out of Nasser and the US buggy idea, I thought to myself; "Hmmmm... Al Attiyah must have exhausted all of the other viable (top team) seat options out there - eg. a Hilux, or a MINI or even a X-Raid BMW - to go with a putting his money into a "from the ground up" project like a new 2WD buggy from the states...?" [/QUOTE

What if after he drove RG's Humbuggy last year that he decided that was the fastest way to go? (V-8 2WD buggy)

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #70
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
What if after he drove RG's Humbuggy last year that he decided that was the fastest way to go? (V-8 2WD buggy)
He would (should) have started on the V8 2WD project in feb/march and not gone through the process of looking for a seat with an established team, until he (finally) settled on the Jeffries program... relatively late in the year.

Like the 2012 RGM deal... this 2013 effort is somewhat reminiscent of that of a "best last resort"... as opposed to "first choice".

Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #71
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
He would (should) have started on the V8 2WD project in feb/march and not gone through the process of looking for a seat with an established team, until he (finally) settled on the Jeffries program... relatively late in the year.

Like the 2012 RGM deal... this 2013 effort is somewhat reminiscent of that of a "best last resort"... as opposed to "first choice".
Waaaay too late to be able to present a serious effort. A serious effort takes at least a year in advance.

Nasser did serious damage to the Hummmmbuggy motor on the first day. Rubby's bad for not setting the motor up with a rev-limiter set lower than what Rubby uses.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #72
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Strong words.
I'll remember this.
Strong words from Strong Bad!!!!!

Access to too much non-disclosable insider info makes a lot of this difficult to explain.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #73
Brads600
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Waaaay too late to be able to present a serious effort. A serious effort takes at least a year in advance.

Nasser did serious damage to the Hummmmbuggy motor on the first day. Rubby's bad for not setting the motor up with a rev-limiter set lower than what Rubby uses.

If you guys recall this was such the case with Nassar, And then after the fact he goes on to bad mouth RG and his crew. I will not go of the record as wishing anyone bad but...... I think this speaks to Nassar cooking the engine as well.

video link to Stage 5 (not sure how to post in a window format, input needed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CpBW...eature=related
Brads600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #74
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,198
GB's Excite Rally Raid Team
recent story here

RaBe Desert Warrior
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #75
ArthDuro
quarantined