User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #16
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
New territories

whenever i go back to my home town in hong kong right near the chinese border in sha tau kok i see loads of dual sports passing through its quite mountainous and they normally ride in groups of 3-4
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
Maximum Hastings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
www.bigbiketrip.net

We will be there in July 2012, all being well with our KTM 990 Adventures at the end of our RTW trip

Fang Yi and Rupert
www,facebook.com/bigbiketrip
Maximum Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #18
TVtommy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Something to keep in mind....

When I lived there (9 years), there was NO theft insurance on bikes. Many that were stolen end up in China. Bike thieves in HK are fast, so beware...
Old 12-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #19
JZH
Global Bodger

Oddometer: 47
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom_950 View Post
Give me a list of the equipment etc and I will look into passing on some contact details if there is any reciprocal interest for this side i.e. HK and bike/car enthusiasts...
Andy, forgive me for not quite understanding what you mean. In any case, I am now in HK and have made an offer on a house with its very own two-car garage, so my problems may soon be resolved.

All my stuff is still ocean-going at the moment, but hopefully will reach dry land soon...

Humid weather riding tips, anyone?

Ciao,
RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR444RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR837FP; VFR800FiY-SC; ST1300A4...
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Might have a great offer for a job as well. Would it be worth bringing the GSA? Or is a small 450 beter for cuting up traffic?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #21
JZH
Global Bodger

Oddometer: 47
I've yet to get any of my bikes on the road (that's a long story), but I've seen all kinds of bikes in HK. Among the big bikes, BMWs and Ducatis seem very popular. I live in the New Territories or, as I like to call it, "the sticks". Yes, it's a fair commute to Central, but I needed a garage--and the roof terrace and panoramic view of the South China Sea is nice, too!

Ciao,
RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR444RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR837FP; VFR800FiY-SC; ST1300A4...
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #22
greybeard146
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Anyone up for a spin?

See ADV HK Rideout # 2 post!

Topbox Tours

R1200RT / CB750 F2w / R1100RT / F650 / DL1000 / Bandit 600 / CB200
greybeard146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
FLYNLOMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Hey! There are off road tracks in Hong Kong. I have ridden them. I sold my KLX 250 last year and bought a Ducati but I am close to buying a second dirt bike soon. Let's go for a ride. Check out X Camp HK on Facebook. It's small but a good track. See you there soon!

Hong Kong
FLYNLOMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #24
ThomasOz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Another advrider in HK

Hi everyone,

I just arrived (end August) in Hong Kong. The move hasn't occurred yet, so the bike (2006 Transalp 650) is still in Melbourne with all the gear for adv. I miss it badly, it was my only mean of transport as well and damn, I miss it.

I've been looking at means to hire something here (or find a tourer to go into mountain loaded south west China, around Dali and Shangri-La on a bike would be absolutely awesome). No luck. At this stage, I'm feeling desperate to ride something, anything.

Anyway, you are not alone anymore, except that I don't have a bike .

Cheers,
Thomas
ThomasOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #25
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Backpacking in Asia, in hk right now. Lots of scoots, a few bikes most of them are the glam BMW or ducks. Police have nice bikes, vfrs I believe and some BMW maybe a k series. Lot of nice twisty roads on the way to big Buddha. Wish I could have rented a bike. On the flip side I can use the money I would have used to rent a bike to go to the bar since this place is hot Asian chick heaven
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #26
ThomasOz
Gnarly Adventurer

It's hard to hire a bike here. I've been looking for weeks without much success. Let me know if you score (a bike I mean)
Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
TVtommy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
During my tenure in HK, I was limited to commuting. And doing so was worrisome because while I was there (and maybe things have changed) there is no theft insurance on bikes, and no one rents there. Rides to the south side of HK island were fun, as well as rides into the new territories.....and that's about it. The bike thieves there either grab it and stuff in into a van and split, or they will disable it and come back for it later. One of my bikes almost became victim to scheme number two. I paid a watchman to keep an eye on it overnight until I could arrange a tow to a ship to get it repaired. I was lucky.

Living on Taiwan was different. I didn't take advantage of the beautiful island I called home for three years. The mountains, the tribal people and the food were amazing. I only experienced 1/100th of what the island had to offer. I miss it horribly.

Sorry, went a bit off topic here.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #28
VFR Titus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Sorry, didn't check Adv rider as often as I used to. You can rent dirt bikes here for some fun on their track: http://www.mxclub.com.hk/

Not much places to do adv style rides here in Hong Kong and there's no companies renting out bikes for sure unless you trick a dealer into giving you a test ride LOL

I ride with a group on Sundays we meet up in Ma On Shan's Shell station 7am sharp and do the Route Twisk aka Tai Mo Shan and Luk Gang breakfast routine.
'08 VFR 800 - Nuts roaster in HK
Cagers diet for vanity. Riders diet for better power to weight ratio
VFR Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #29
VFR Titus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVtommy View Post
During my tenure in HK, I was limited to commuting. And doing so was worrisome because while I was there (and maybe things have changed) there is no theft insurance on bikes, and no one rents there. Rides to the south side of HK island were fun, as well as rides into the new territories.....and that's about it. The bike thieves there either grab it and stuff in into a van and split, or they will disable it and come back for it later. One of my bikes almost became victim to scheme number two. I paid a watchman to keep an eye on it overnight until I could arrange a tow to a ship to get it repaired. I was lucky.

Living on Taiwan was different. I didn't take advantage of the beautiful island I called home for three years. The mountains, the tribal people and the food were amazing. I only experienced 1/100th of what the island had to offer. I miss it horribly.

Sorry, went a bit off topic here.
It's gotten a lot better with the bike thefts now that mainland Chinese can buy them legitimately (although at crazy tax rates). Though it all depends on the make and model of your bikes; there must've been at least 3 that I know of for the new Honda 700s that were stolen when they just came out "last" year. Compared to what I was used to in Vancouver, Canada I'd say we're pretty safe here where not many people buy comprehensive insurance.

Taiwan is a much larger place where touring on a bike is nice.... there's a lot more companies now catering to renting out bikes like in Japan; never too late to relive the life =)
'08 VFR 800 - Nuts roaster in HK
Cagers diet for vanity. Riders diet for better power to weight ratio
VFR Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #30
ThomasOz
Gnarly Adventurer

Old topic: what bike for HK?

Hi HKers,

Well after a stunt in Hong Kong for 5 months in 2012, I am back in HK for good.
The saddest part of transferring for Hong Kong, is that I had to sell the Transalp back in Melbourne and, well, that was really painful. But my superbly lovely wife promised she'd get me a new bike in HK

Well so here I am: finding a bike here. And after spending some time on bikehk.com and ibike.hk, I am a little bit disappointed by what's on offer. I was sort of hoping there'll be more 600cc here in HK, but it's sport or SM here.

Clearly HK is a "Day-trip" land (unless I've missed the website that explains how I can go into China from HK by rode on a HK registered bike).

I'm not keen on sticking to tarmac all the time, I'm not a really good off-roader but I've heard of some nice tracks in the NT.

So what do you guys have/recommend? I've seen quite a few dual-sport here, but all supermotarded

Cheers,

Thomas