Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #331
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Mind if I inquire your age, and what type of cellphone this was. Just a unique method of injury, not saying it could not happen but it is definitely odd. Even with chest compressions rib fractures tend to happen before a sternal issue occurs.

I heard about that kind of injury before, that's why I don't have any "hard parts" in my chest pockets

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #332
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRock View Post
The case is very expensive, but bombproof. I would buy it again in a heartbeat for a long trip. iPhones and other smartphones and most GPS units are just too small to press at 120 kph or down bumpy trails.

I carry the iPhone for internet etc, but it won't work with my gloves on. How do you use the iPad with gloves? Special gloves or voice command or something? Can you still see your gauges? Is that an extra 20L? That would give an F800GS a range of 900kms or so? I always carry a few 1L jugs and then add 5L jug if worried. Would 10L have been enough? Plan to head up there someday myself

For GPS I use my trusty old Garmin 60CSx mounted next to my clutch hand with a RAM EZ ON/OFF handle bar mount. Works great. I can easily hit the physical buttons en route and it doesn't block my gauges. The mount is very simple, solid and low profile for about $20. It uses Tie-Wraps to strap to the handle bar and has a stiff spring behind the base so it can move around a bit and dampen vibrations. I can easily interchange devices with different bikes and different devices with the same mount (iPhone) I could also easily remount this one with spare tie wraps in the field.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #333
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
I carry the iPhone for internet etc, but it won't work with my gloves on....
On eBay several vendors are selling inexpensive pens that have a rubber dome on the end that works like an un-gloved finger.I have one of those in my tank bag.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/1508238541...m=150823854111

They also sell "finger cots" that work with the iPhone, there are a few pairs of gloves that work with the iphone, and (also on eBay ... ) there are several folks selling "conductive" thread that you are supposed to be able to hand-stitch thru the finger-tip of a glove to make it work...
They claim success ... but "less" success if you iPhone has a screen protector installed ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #334
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Mind if I inquire your age, and what type of cellphone this was. Just a unique method of injury, not saying it could not happen but it is definitely odd. Even with chest compressions rib fractures tend to happen before a sternal issue occurs.
I just read a similar warning from Helge Pedersen in his article on "Camera Gear on Your Bike"

Here's what he said: "Finally, I end with this warning, based on my own bad experience in riding with a point and shoot camera. Never carry large objects like cameras in the chest pocket of your riding suit. I did, and hurt my ribs badly when I crashed and landed on that camera. These days, if I carry a camera on my body, I tuck it into the leg pocket of my Klim Badlands Pro pants. This is a great place for a camera that keeps you safe and is always handy and ready for action. "
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #335
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
On eBay several vendors are selling inexpensive pens that have a rubber dome on the end that works like an un-gloved finger.I have one of those in my tank bag.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/1508238541...m=150823854111

They also sell "finger cots" that work with the iPhone, there are a few pairs of gloves that work with the iphone, and (also on eBay ... ) there are several folks selling "conductive" thread that you are supposed to be able to hand-stitch thru the finger-tip of a glove to make it work...
They claim success ... but "less" success if you iPhone has a screen protector installed ...
But he said "iPhones and other smartphones and most GPS units are just too small to press at 120 kph or down bumpy trails" So pulling a special pen out of your tank bag won't be any easier in that case than pushing a small physical button. Also if they claim "less success" with these conductive materials, I wonder how do they work with that water and bomb proof iPad case?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #336
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
But he said "iPhones and other smartphones and most GPS units are just too small to press at 120 kph or down bumpy trails" So pulling a special pen out of your tank bag won't be any easier in that case than pushing a small physical button. Also if they claim "less success" with these conductive materials, I wonder how do they work with that water and bomb proof iPad case?
yeah.... sorry I missed that part between the pictures ... no whipping out the pen @ 120 kph

And yeah... bomb-proof case may or may not work ... so that comment was meant as a warning .......
Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #337
DrRock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
[QUOTE=squawk77;19727575]I carry the iPhone for internet etc, but it won't work with my gloves on. How do you use the iPad with gloves? Special gloves or voice command or something? Can you still see your gauges? Is that an extra 20L? That would give an F800GS a range of 900kms or so? I always carry a few 1L jugs and then add 5L jug if worried. Would 10L have been enough?

900km? Nope. The 800 has a 16 liter tank, and riding at 130 kph gives me about 300ish km. The extra 20 liter was needed a couple of times. Off road on the Canol road the fuel mileage improved, but the nearest gas station was 5-6 hrs of riding each way and a ferry ride.

For the iPad I now use carbon glue soaked through my index fingers of my riding gloves. This conducts through the gloves onto the iPad.
DrRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #338
Hayate
ADV Monkey

Oddometer: 58
Droid Does

I use my X as my universal electronic multitool. Music, GPS, Phone, Nav, route planning/guidebook, and camera. Of course it doesn't do any of those jobs as perfectly as a dedicated gadget but it sure is cheaper. I also like only having to keep one gadget maintained and charged.

Ok, I admit we bring a decent pocket digital camera on our big trips as well, but on two great lake circle tours now the Droid has had to step in and be the primary when the real camera broke. Oh and I upgraded the cheap headphones snaking from the Droid to my earholes with the bluetooth Sena this year. But damnit I'm still minimalist when it comes to electronics... so I tell myself,
at least until I save up for a real all weather GPS that will keep me navigating outside my service area or dataplan coverage LOL

Oh yeah, and here's the simple solution to mounting. Conduit hanger and a bit of rubber holding a car docking station (docking station modded with a bit of electrical tape to hold the phone a bit more snug). All weather capability in the form of a ziplok and a couple rubber bands. Just don't drop it in a big water crossing eh?

P.S. Yeah that's my kitchen in the background... my baby stays inside during the 9 months of Minnesota winter.
Minnesota Parallel "Twin" Cities GS Riders
Daniel Betlock Adventure Rider
Hayate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #339
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
Does anyone know if the Touratech GPS adapter for the Adventure (TT P/N 044-0770) work on the support bar for the touring screen? The BMW clamp for the Navigator 3 will mount directly to the support bar, but is angled way too far down with the screen installed. Any other inexpensive options for getting the GPS above the gauges? If this has been brought up, I completely missed it, so don't crucify me! THANKS!

- Rob
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #340
SDDinNH
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTheRigger View Post
Does anyone know if the Touratech GPS adapter for the Adventure (TT P/N 044-0770) work on the support bar for the touring screen? The BMW clamp for the Navigator 3 will mount directly to the support bar, but is angled way too far down with the screen installed. Any other inexpensive options for getting the GPS above the gauges? If this has been brought up, I completely missed it, so don't crucify me! THANKS!

- Rob
I had zero luck mounting anything to that bar and ended up going with the stock handlebar mount from BMW
SDDinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #341
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,398
Laugh

Old 11-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #342
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
Is that one waterproof

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #343
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
BMW Navigator IV mounted on a Mirage 2 fairing:

Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #344
thleon
Theo

Oddometer: 47
Peaklife GPS mounted on Desierto using an aluminum plate

thleon screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 10:09 PM
thleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #345
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Moto Mickey & theleon: Thank for posting those pictures!

Neither screen comes with the instrument panel surrounds or the GPS mounts ...
Those were separate projects right?