Yeah baby. Let me get my leathers...
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #182
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,319
I likes.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #183
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

OK. Forward progress... and not. I had the horrible white paint job sand blasted off again in order to send it off for powder coat. However the sand blasting guy took it upon himself to prime the frame after sand blasting it stating that "it'll rust if you don't paint soon, so I figured I'd just prime it for you." Great. He did an awful job anyway, so it's not too much of a shame to have him sand blast it off again. To make it even better, he just plain forgot to do the swingarm and returned it to me unblasted (and unprimed). As soon as he gets it blasted again I'll send it up to Guad for powder coat. The better news is that my girlfriend just took a trip up to the states and managed to smuggle back part of my mountain of parts that has accumulated at my parents' house in Seattle. Shipping to Mexico rarely works, so I just have it all sent there. Now I've got a complete gasket set, timing belts, carb rebuild kits, throttle grip, throttle cables, clutch cable, choke levers, cam pulley tools, fuel line, air filters, decals, and a stator to keep me busy while the frame gets finished. Forward ho!

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 01:33 PM
Old 07-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #184
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Forward motion. I rebuilt both the dellortos this afternoon, but realized I need to replace both of the accelerator pump diaphrams and the float needles. I'll have to order those and bring them home when I'm up in the states in September. Now they're mostly rebuilt though and spotlessly clean inside. I also replaced the cable operated chokes with separate choke levers. New throttle cables and thottle grip as well. I rolled the dice on the alternator stator as I never did find out 100% for sure that the one I bought on ebay would actually work on a pantah engine. I got lucky though and it slid right into place. The cam pulley tool took a little bit of grinder sculpting to make it fit right after my first attempt to use it took a couple chunks of aluminum out of one of the pulleys. I got the cams out, pulled the big rubber covers off the top of the head and pulled the cam seals. I need to order replacements though before I throw it all back together again. The good news is that all the cam bearings look to be in good shape.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 08:42 PM
Old 08-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #185
coastdude
n00b

Oddometer: 1
You're a brave man airhead, with more faith in your mechanical ability than I have. You will be rewarded though by a sweet bike that will be pretty uncommon. I've owned my 600 Pantah since 1982, fortunately my wife said a long time ago "never sell this bike" (or it may be a long time before you can get another one). Although I have broken down a few times I have always been able to repair it on the side of the road and manage to get home. I have kept my bike as stock, with the exception of the 2 into 1 Gianelli pipe, it is in the original Hailwood colours, I would post a photo but can't see how to do it as this forum is pretty new to me. At least beer is cheap in mexico and the food more exciting than USA. Good luck!
P.S Watch Italspares on Australian ebay for some NOS pantah parts at good prices.
coastdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #186
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastdude View Post
P.S Watch Italspares on Australian ebay for some NOS pantah parts at good prices.
Thanks for the tip on parts. I'm currently looking for new fork legs as the shop that was supposed to rechrome mine gave me a STUPID quote. $200 per leg. I can have new ones made for less than that. Anyway, I'm not watching ebay like a hawk.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #187
hotballs
nob

Oddometer: 30
pickups

hi mate. the ignition pick ups are really hard to find new. some early guzzis had the same ones. mainly some v35/50/65 models. try some guzzi dealers.i found some once in italy. what we do here in australia is send them up to gowanloch in sydney who refurbishes them with new wires epoxied in. it costs about 250 dollars and the only do exchange ones. there must be someone on that continent that also does them.
hotballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #188
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
another Pantah to look at

http://www.bikeexif.com/ducati-panta...28Bike+EXIF%29
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #189
hotballs
nob

Oddometer: 30
pick ups

found new replacement pickups from kaemna ducati in germany. 198 euros for a set. look them up on google
hotballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #190
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Any movement with this bugger?
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #191
Davideokills
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Airhead,
I spent my first day of my semi permanent vacation reading this thread and now I demand more updates!

I actually remember stumbling on this thread a while back when I spotted an inexpensive Pantah on Craigslist. During the time I waited anxiously for a response from the Craigslist poster I was browsing pics and looking up information. Your thread got me really excited and aided in the disappointment when that unicorn never contacted me back.

You have done some great work on this project with a lot of tricky challenges. You're an inspiration. Keep it up!
Davideokills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #192
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davideokills View Post
Airhead,
I spent my first day of my semi permanent vacation reading this thread and now I demand more updates!

I actually remember stumbling on this thread a while back when I spotted an inexpensive Pantah on Craigslist. During the time I waited anxiously for a response from the Craigslist poster I was browsing pics and looking up information. Your thread got me really excited and aided in the disappointment when that unicorn never contacted me back.

You have done some great work on this project with a lot of tricky challenges. You're an inspiration. Keep it up!
Unfortunately, there hasn't been much movement, but that might change soon. The reality of the situation is that the bike has ZERO documents and while that's a solvable problem in the US, in Mexico it's far less solvable and subject to seizure if I ever take it out on the street. Because of that coupled with the lack of local expertise (welding, painting, media blasting, etc), and a GSPD that I bought in November which also sucked up a bunch of my time in the form of both wrenching and riding, my enthusiasm waned and things stalled out. I figured I'd just leave it until I move back to the states, whenever that happens. Anyway, I'm now in limbo waiting to move across the country to the Gulf coast. Before that I need to throw the engine back together so I don't lose any pieces in transit. I'm sure going out and touching all my ducati pieces will get my ducati juices flowing again. The other good thing is that I'm now far less dependent on outside shops than I was last year. I now have a TIG welder and a huge air compressor, so I can handle all metal work, blasting, painting, etc at home which will make this a lot easier. No more waiting for other people to get their shit together. Thanks for reminding I had that thing out in the garage.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #193
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
...in Mexico it's far less solvable...Airhead Wrangler
Well, you have my sympathy, and I was enjoying your reports. Hopefully, the export into the U.S. won't be too complicated, without title documents. I imagine that you do have a bill of sale.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #194
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,075
Slap some #plates on it when you cross the border. Old, track only, progect .
They should leave you in peace.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #195
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Slap some #plates on it when you cross the border. Old, track only, progect .
They should leave you in peace.
I have the plate that came off my Cagiva GranCanyon if you need a Calif plate for a border crossing. I'd loan it or trade it for a wall hanger Mexican MC plate if ya need. JB
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote