Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Open-Explorers OP
Daniel R.

Oddometer: 30
2-wheels 1-world 0-money RTW

Hi bikers, travellers out there.

I thought I offer some entertainment and blog a bit about my trip. I started in Berlin in 2008 and I made it to New Zealand, which took me 2,5 years. I know that's quite slow, but you gotta know I set off without any money. I naively thought I can make the money for traveling along the way by working any job that comes my way. I did work. It wasn't easy, but to my own surprise I managed. But more to this later. Anyways, the working along the way thing slowed me down quite a bit. But it also forced me to immerse myself into foreign cultures and countries all the time. I'm kinda grateful about this, because I might not have done the things that I did, if I could have bought me an easy way out. And often very interesting encounters and experiences came from not being able to walk the easy and obvious path.

I'm currently on a temporary break from my adventure to intensely work on the the movie about the first leg of this adventure, but I will set off to travel from South America to Alaska next year. And who knows, there's always Africa that is waiting to be explored. Here's where I'm at:

Traveling is my passion. It always appeals to me to expose myself to difficult situations. I'm convinced that this will make me grow. Experiences from extensive previous travels have changed the way I see the world today. And I believe that the more of us make first-hand experiences with foreign cultures and beliefs, the better the chances that our world society will become more understanding, tolerant and peaceful. This is also why I share what I have learnt. Oh and yes, I don't think of me as the all-knowing and brave, hardcore traveller. It's not about this. It's about exchanging ideas. Feel free to comment openly.

So here's the story, I'll add some more once a day, or every other day. Uhm, I won't tell the story chronologically, that's boring. Ok, I'll jump right into the middle and start in India, later more about how I started. I entered the huge sub-continent while not having the slightest clue of how to travel any further from there. It seemed like a dead end. China didn't seem possible or affordable –*I met a swiss guy who paid 15.000 USD to get his motorcycle into the country. It's the cost for the mandatory 24h guide, his expenses and all the papers you need. The Chinese gov. wants to know and where you are at all times. That is if you travel with your own vehicle. As a backpacker, it's much easier. Myanmar (Burma) wasn't an option either. It's a country run by the military. You could call it a dictatorship I guess. Anyways, some zones are off limits for travellers. So I would have to fly over those zones myself and have a soldier ride my bike through the jungle and pay for it of course. Also very expensive and … not an option. A 350kg tall bike through the jungle done by a 5 foot Asian guy who probably won't give a sh*t.
So, a dead end really. There are options but I didn't know about any. And it was an uncomfortable feeling not knowing any. Anyways, more later. Gotta run…

Open-Explorers

Open-Explorers screwed with this post 09-01-2014 at 03:52 PM
Open-Explorers is offline   Reply With Quote