User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
dwf OP
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 741
Help please--Dreaded ABS Failure

So--yesterday I take my 2007 Adventure (36k miles) into the dealer for a couple of recalls and alternator belt replacement. As I pull into the parking lot the "Brake Failure" light comes on. A couple of hours later the dealer calls and says the ABS module has failed---$2200 repair. In my research here it looks like Module Masters in Moscow, Idaho can rebuild these. This the non-servo Teeves version that first came out in 2007. Has anyone had this version rebuilt and can someone point me to instructions for removing the unit. Thank you.

dwf screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 10:36 AM
dwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,336
Don't be in too much of a hurry...unbolting and shipping off somewhere.

Others will chime in with specific things to check before repair/purchase.

Panic...not.
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,418
Before you take it apart, do a thorough flush of your brakes, then disconnect each electrical connection, clean it and reconnect it. Make sure your sensors are gapped right, and all your switches are working correctly. Also, check all your battery connection, and make sure you battery is fully charged. Not as critical on the non-Servo ABS, but it still matters.

IMHO it is very odd that it broke right after getting it worked on.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
dom1104
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
It never fails. I wake up, think about buying a BMW, and then I read a thread like this by lunchtime.

EVERY.

SINGLE.

TIME.

Good luck brother, that really really sucks.
dom1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
dwf OP
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Before you take it apart, do a thorough flush of your brakes, then disconnect each electrical connection, clean it and reconnect it. Make sure your sensors are gapped right, and all your switches are working correctly. Also, check all your battery connection, and make sure you battery is fully charged. Not as critical on the non-Servo ABS, but it still matters.

IMHO it is very odd that it broke right after getting it worked on.

Jim
Thanks Jim. It occurred when I first pulled into the dealer not after they worked on it. Can you point me to a description of how I get to/remove the module and the process for checking gaps on the sensors?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1104 View Post
It never fails. I wake up, think about buying a BMW, and then I read a thread like this by lunchtime.

EVERY.

SINGLE.

TIME.

Dom, for every one of these threads there are thousands of us out enjoying our bikes. Don't let the "problem" threads scare you. This is where we come for advice before paying the dealer. Often we find out it is something easy to fix and do the repairs.

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
jowie
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi dwf,
I had the same issue on my 07 1200GS (not A) about 6 months ago. Down here in the land of OZ the repair was quoted at $3300. A little searching on the web (including this forum) revealed that the ABS units in 07 GS's is a known issue, and you may have a case to argue with BMW.
I chatted to my dealer (procyles st peters for anyone local) about what I had found on the internet, and he was very helpful. He offered to speak to the importer to see if they would supply a new ABS unit at no cost.
The request eventually went to Germany, with the response being that "if the bike has been serviced by a BMW approved technician in accordance with the service schedule, a new part will be provided at zero cost".
Thankfully my bike met the criteria, and I got the repair completed for labour only (abt $300).

I would have a chat to your friendly BMW dealer ASAP.
jowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #8
dwf OP
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie View Post
Hi dwf,
I had the same issue on my 07 1200GS (not A) about 6 months ago. Down here in the land of OZ the repair was quoted at $3300. A little searching on the web (including this forum) revealed that the ABS units in 07 GS's is a known issue, and you may have a case to argue with BMW.
I chatted to my dealer (procyles st peters for anyone local) about what I had found on the internet, and he was very helpful. He offered to speak to the importer to see if they would supply a new ABS unit at no cost.
The request eventually went to Germany, with the response being that "if the bike has been serviced by a BMW approved technician in accordance with the service schedule, a new part will be provided at zero cost".
Thankfully my bike met the criteria, and I got the repair completed for labour only (abt $300).

I would have a chat to your friendly BMW dealer ASAP.
Thank you. Since new I have done my own brake service. On the non-servo brake system the fluid flush is very easy and I have not seen the need to have the dealer do it.

Can anyone describe the process for removing the ABS module? Given the fault reading I'm pretty convinced the failure is in the electronics of the unit. I spoke to Module Masters and they can repair it for $250.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf View Post
Thank you. Since new I have done my own brake service. On the non-servo brake system the fluid flush is very easy and I have not seen the need to have the dealer do it.

Can anyone describe the process for removing the ABS module? Given the fault reading I'm pretty convinced the failure is in the electronics of the unit. I spoke to Module Masters and they can repair it for $250.
Haven't seen any documented instructions. Confirm using SEARCH.
Is the process documented on the BMW DVD for your bike? I don't have one.
If you have to remove it the old fashioned way...getting in there and yanking it out...you might want to consider documenting your process for others here at ADV who might/will be faced with the same task.

That simply adds to the knowledge base here. Thanks in advance.

Here's my pictorial, as an example, of "How to Remove an Alternator"
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703446

PS...you can SEE the ABS unit in my pictorial...several steps in...but I have no idea what it takes to remove/reconnect it.
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1104 View Post

EVERY.

SINGLE.

TIME.

Get off the computer and buy one. Just make sure you always have warranty coverage. Or you can take your BMW money and build a bomb shelter in your back yard and sit in it, your choice. My BMW coughed up a $2200 bill recently but the trip from ATL to Prudhoe Bay was worth it. She brought me home then took a dump.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
cozmo2312
Canyon Carver

Oddometer: 235
Any problems riding the bike with an abs failure? I mean you can turn it off, why cant you just keep riding?

My Prints for sale
cozmo2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,643
Have you tried this?

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...20II%20D&A.pdf

It is not the same ABS system but could help with removing the electronics.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
dwf OP
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Have you tried this?

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...20II%20D&A.pdf

It is not the same ABS system but could help with removing the electronics.
Thank you but that is a totally different bike and system.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo2312 View Post
Any problems riding the bike with an abs failure? I mean you can turn it off, why cant you just keep riding?

From experience, the servo brakes on the 1150 are fine until the ABS unit fails, in which case the system reverts to "residual braking" which is just a little worse than dragging a cinderblock on a rope to slow down. The non-servo ABS failure was largely transparent except for the obvious lack of ABS action.

I suspect the system used in the non-servo 1200 bikes is similar to the non-servo 1150s in that you still have decent brakes but no ABS at all.

My own opinion of the system has come around 180 degrees - I used to be a huge proponent of ABS brakes, until mine failed. I attempted a repair, and I *think* I got it right, but in the end I didn't trust the system to work. So I removed it and have come to the conclusion that proper braking technique trumps technology. I know some will disagree, but unless they're willing to buy me a new ABS unit, I'm going to stick with my unlinked/unservoed/unABSed brakes.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
dwf OP
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
From experience, the servo brakes on the 1150 are fine until the ABS unit fails, in which case the system reverts to "residual braking" which is just a little worse than dragging a cinderblock on a rope to slow down. The non-servo ABS failure was largely transparent except for the obvious lack of ABS action.

I suspect the system used in the non-servo 1200 bikes is similar to the non-servo 1150s in that you still have decent brakes but no ABS at all.

My own opinion of the system has come around 180 degrees - I used to be a huge proponent of ABS brakes, until mine failed. I attempted a repair, and I *think* I got it right, but in the end I didn't trust the system to work. So I removed it and have come to the conclusion that proper braking technique trumps technology. I know some will disagree, but unless they're willing to buy me a new ABS unit, I'm going to stick with my unlinked/unservoed/unABSed brakes.
I rode mine back from the dealer today and the brakes were fine minus ABS. It's a feature I paid for and want.